Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

well i sent my pasport off via trendy building on 29th may,received at Liverpool HMPO 2nd June, it is now 12 weeks later and still not got it back despite 18 phone calls to bangor call centre and 10 e-mails, told it is in the examination stagw,whatever that is total <deleted> waste of time,

Bog standard fob off.

12 weeks puts you at the extreme end of the timescale.

It is worth seeking to speak with a senior manager in view of that timescale - your passport is probably issued and sitting at Trendy!!!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i sent my pasport off via trendy building on 29th may,received at Liverpool HMPO 2nd June, it is now 12 weeks later and still not got it back despite 18 phone calls to bangor call centre and 10 e-mails, told it is in the examination stagw,whatever that is total <deleted> waste of time,

Bog standard fob off.

It is worth seeking to speak with a senior manager in view of that timescale - your passport is probably issued and sitting at Trendy!!!

Unfortunately 12 weeks is by no means the worst delay - recently the was one report of someone waiting 18 weeks for his daughter's replacement passport.

The fastest reported turn around in Thailand to date was 6.5 weeks but the guy had (and used) connections in both HMPO in the UK and the British Embassy in BKK.

There have been a couple of reports of 8 weeks, both however had also used the British Consular Facility in BKK to pull strings.

The normal delay currently is 10 weeks from application at trendy to collection.

you can't even speak to these bastards in liverpool and when you send them an e mail it comes back not been opened,the only point of contact is the poor buggers at bangor call centre in N Ireland phone number is +443002220000 but or a 15 minute call its about 280 baht i have called them 12 time nearly every week and it comes to over 3500 baht calling credit,and when they do decide to call you from Liverpool its to fob you off with its going through security checks.What bloody checks its my old passport my same name my same details etc even got a new couter signed photo all pages colur photo copied and address varified by local poklice and immigration its beyond a joke and i need to report to immigration on 15th october,but my pssport is full.Looks like i am going for the 18 weeks record.

you can't even speak to these bastards in liverpool and when you send them an e mail it comes back not been opened,the only point of contact is the poor buggers at bangor call centre in N Ireland phone number is +443002220000 but or a 15 minute call its about 280 baht i have called them 12 time nearly every week and it comes to over 3500 baht calling credit,and when they do decide to call you from Liverpool its to fob you off with its going through security checks.What bloody checks its my old passport my same name my same details etc even got a new couter signed photo all pages colur photo copied and address varified by local poklice and immigration its beyond a joke and i need to report to immigration on 15th october,but my pssport is full.Looks like i am going for the 18 weeks record.

Have you tried using a CAT Telecom card. A 15m call cost me 80 Baht this week - and that was to a mobile.

The HMPO Help line is not actually run by HMPO but by a private company called Teleperformance, most of their operators know less about overseas passport applications than you or I.

They do use up your call time doing 'security' checks that are all pre-scripted, they then have access to only very limited information on your case's status.

There is however the option of being forwarded to an inner cell called 'the progress room' where these people actually seem to know something (probably are real HMPO staff) and have access to more detailed information.

Best you call HMPO Helpline on Skype it works fine and costs less than 1p per minute.

If you are getting near to an overstay, or an ETD, then my advice is to contact the British Embassy Consular Facility and speak to someone - they have a 'special channel' to help progress urgent cases.

You need to navigate the automated exchange to actually speak to a human in BKK, but it is do-able.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

So I have just got an email from the Liverpool overseas team 3, they tell me that my passport will be printed within the next 48 hours and sent out to me!

I sent my application off on 1st Aug, so its not bad....so far, I still actually have to get it back from Trendy! So that could be another couple of weeks, still I think I will be ok for my Visa renewal date of 9th September!

I have sent a complaint to consularenquiriesbangkok@fco.gov.uk and [email protected] everyday for the past two weeks, telling that I will look to take them to court if I end up an overstay due to there incompetence.

Seems to of worked!

Don't count your chickens until they've hatched....

Edited by OJAS

Can anyone tell me what photocopies are reqiured to change an extension from old passport to new?

Thanks

Copies of both passport photo pages. Copy of the visa that gave you the entry you have been extending, entry stamp from that visa, your current extension stamp, valid re-entry permit if you have one and TM6 departure card.

Letter from embassy.

Transfer stamps form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/transferstamp.pdf

Can anyone tell me what photocopies are reqiured to change an extension from old passport to new?

Thanks

Copies of both passport photo pages. Copy of the visa that gave you the entry you have been extending, entry stamp from that visa, your current extension stamp, valid re-entry permit if you have one and TM6 departure card.

Letter from embassy.

Transfer stamps form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/transferstamp.pdf

Thank you very much!

Thanks

Letter from embassy.

I have just telephoned Phitsanulok Immigration and they mentioned none of the above. "Bring new and old passport" being their exact words. Cannot see why they want photocopies when they can see the original stamps.

I just received this from UKPO after i completed an online enquiry

Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that your passport was passed for printing on 21/08/2014 and delivery will be attempted within 7-10 working days.

Please note that all passports are delivered securely by DHL Secure and you may be required to sign for receipt.

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team

Can anyone tell me when i should expect to see the passport at Trendy ? My visa expires on Saturday, i can accept a few days overstay. How can I chase it up with Trendy ?

Bog standard fob off.

Yes it is possible that Trendy received the new Passport and did not finalize the transfer, but it might also be possible that the new passport was not yet issued and thus not sent to Trendy and this is all part of the new messy passport application procedure that was recently implemented by HMPO,

Parliament MP's at Westminster should ensure that 10 Downing Street will alter the current messy passport application procedure for Brits in Thailand and use the procedure again to be done by the UK Embassy in Bangkok, and via the UK Consulates in the provinces.

Thanks

Letter from embassy.

I have just telephoned Phitsanulok Immigration and they mentioned none of the above. "Bring new and old passport" being their exact words. Cannot see why they want photocopies when they can see the original stamps.

... and what do you think will have for their records ?

Listen to the advice you have been given - otherwise you will have to go to a local copy shop or (depending on your immigration office) an exorbitant fee for them to make the copies.

Go prepared

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

I just received this from UKPO after i completed an online enquiry

Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that your passport was passed for printing on 21/08/2014 and delivery will be attempted within 7-10 working days.

Please note that all passports are delivered securely by DHL Secure and you may be required to sign for receipt.

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team

Can anyone tell me when i should expect to see the passport at Trendy ? My visa expires on Saturday, i can accept a few days overstay. How can I chase it up with Trendy ?

You will not want to read this, but it's around 10 - 14 days to collection at trendy after your new passport has been sent to the printers by HMPO in the UK.

For some reason, trendy sit on the passport for around 6 days after they receive it, which gives them time to surreptitiously open your package, do god knows what to the contents, then reseal with sellotape before you are called to collect.

You may end up gong to go into overstay, unless you are on an extension, if so, go to Immigration, they will have no idea that your passport is already cancelled.

Depending on your admission stamp you can get the 7 day 'refusal ' extension, which might give you just enough time to collect.

Trendy don't have a hot line and I didn't give you this number 021687394.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Just got a call from Trendy office saying mine is there ready to collect.

Submitted on June 25th in person

Money was taken on July 3rd from my account (got a call too from them that day as transaction wouldnt work at first as it was a new ATM card I hadnt activated yet)

I followed up with an email about the status 10 days ago and told it was in process and now its ready.

I submitted with a letter from my school where I study where they stated my full name, passport number and address in Bangkok and I included a True bill in my name with address on just in case too.

Not sure if any of that helps anyone, maybe I was just lucky...

First - congratulations, however 8 weeks, which is still appallingly bad service, but quicker than many have experienced.

So what did you do re your 'ED' Visa in the end?

Thanks

Letter from embassy.

Listen to the advice you have been given - otherwise you will have to go to a local copy shop or (depending on your immigration office) an exorbitant fee for them to make the copies.

Go prepared

It depends on individual immigration officers, some want the application forms, other officers as I know just take the two passports > old & new < and set up in the new passport the required stamping procedure.

So I have just got an email from the Liverpool overseas team 3, they tell me that my passport will be printed within the next 48 hours and sent out to me!

I sent my application off on 1st Aug, so its not bad....so far, I still actually have to get it back from Trendy! So that could be another couple of weeks, still I think I will be ok for my Visa renewal date of 9th September!

I have sent a complaint to consularenquiriesbangkok@fco.gov.uk and [email protected] everyday for the past two weeks, telling that I will look to take them to court if I end up an overstay due to there incompetence.

Seems to of worked!

You shouldn't have been too hard on the British Embassy, in this particular train wreck, they are actually the good guys - it was the British Government which idiotically transferred overseas passport issue from the FCO (Foreign Office) to the Home Office and that action was what created this current fiasco.

It's the Home Office that is incompetent and not the Foreign Office, whose own hands were tied thus preventing them helping in any way until there was a policy change (giving them a hotline to HMPO for difficult cases) only just a few weeks ago.

What you are reporting may produce an application to collection delay record for Thailand of only 5 weeks, which is even less than 'promised' on the HMPO Website (effective minimum of 7 weeks).

Please let this thread know when you actually do collect your passport.

Go prepared

It depends on individual immigration officers, some want the application forms, other officers as I know just take the two passports > old & new < and set up in the new passport the required stamping procedure.

Given the 'premium' on the charge for immigration copies (my area 1 copy = 4 Baht), it would be a very bad investment not to take them with one.

Just got a call from Trendy office saying mine is there ready to collect.

Submitted on June 25th in person

Money was taken on July 3rd from my account (got a call too from them that day as transaction wouldnt work at first as it was a new ATM card I hadnt activated yet)

I followed up with an email about the status 10 days ago and told it was in process and now its ready.

I submitted with a letter from my school where I study where they stated my full name, passport number and address in Bangkok and I included a True bill in my name with address on just in case too.

Not sure if any of that helps anyone, maybe I was just lucky...

First - congratulations, however 8 weeks, which is still appallingly bad service, but quicker than many have experienced.

So what did you do re your 'ED' Visa in the end?

Just wondering whether HMPO might be making serious inroads into all those orange boxes gathering dust in a conference room at their Liverpool office now that the peak summer holiday period in the UK is largely behind us? After all it was the increased volume of applications in advance of this holiday period which allegedly was the principal cause of the forever lengthening processing periods in recent times.

But this won't, of course, have any bearing on the length of time new passports are sat on at With-It Tower before applicants are informed that they are ready for collection.

And the possible bad news at the Liverpool end is that the conference room housing the orange boxes will eventually revert to its original purpose and might then be used for meetings to discuss nefarious plans which HMPO might have under consideration to inflict yet more inconvenience and hassle on us long-suffering expats in Thailand at passport renewal timesad.pngsad.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I need to fly back to the UK to start a B.Ed. The acceptance came late (as did my application). I had already applied for a new passport. It won't be ready by the time I need to fly home.

Can I use my current one (as in my old one if you get my drift) to fly home (I gave them a colour copy of the passport and they let me keep my old one)? I heard that they cancel the old one while your waiting for the new one. I contacted the pp office and was informed that they only cancel passports that are sent to them or reported lost/stolen. My passport also has less than 6 months of validity on it, but I'm pretty sure I can still use it to fly home.

Is this correct? Or will I need to get an ETD?

Just wondering whether HMPO might be making serious inroads into all those orange boxes gathering dust in a conference room at their Liverpool office now that the peak summer holiday period in the UK is largely behind us? After all it was the increased volume of applications in advance of this holiday period which allegedly was the principal cause of the forever lengthening processing periods in recent times.

I don't believe for one minute that this issue was caused by the usual 'summer rush'.

It was caused by the huge movement of responsibility required for foreign passport renewals from the FCO to the Passport Office.

I suspect this whole fiasco was deliberate on the part of the passport office management and probably due to some kind of internal bickering over additional funding and staffing levels.

They didn't get what they wanted so they made sure there was a big problem for everyone.

I need to fly back to the UK to start a B.Ed. The acceptance came late (as did my application). I had already applied for a new passport. It won't be ready by the time I need to fly home.

Can I use my current one (as in my old one if you get my drift) to fly home (I gave them a colour copy of the passport and they let me keep my old one)? I heard that they cancel the old one while your waiting for the new one. I contacted the pp office and was informed that they only cancel passports that are sent to them or reported lost/stolen. My passport also has less than 6 months of validity on it, but I'm pretty sure I can still use it to fly home.

What will you do about your new passport when it's ready to collect at Trendy in a few months ? You won't be able to fly back to Bangkok that's for sure.

well 14 weeks and counting,and still no new passport.it's a &lt;deleted&gt; joke,as of 15th september i will be on overstay. Even spoke to someone in the progress room and they could not tell me anything apart from we will send an e-mail to Liverpool All bunch of &lt;deleted&gt;

Has your payment yet been taken at the Liverpool end? I gather that this is an indication as to when one's old passport is electronically cancelled for travel purposes.

In any event, though, I would advise you to err on the side of caution and obtain an ETD regardless.

I also suggest that you call the helpline in the UK ASAP to see if you can get your new passport delivered to your UK address instead of to With-It Tower.

Has your payment yet been taken at the Liverpool end? I gather that this is an indication as to when one's old passport is electronically cancelled for travel purposes.

In any event, though, I would advise you to err on the side of caution and obtain an ETD regardless.

I also suggest that you call the helpline in the UK ASAP to see if you can get your new passport delivered to your UK address instead of to With-It Tower.

The guy I spoke to (he seemed pretty clueless to be honest) told me I could fly home on my old passport. He also said that it would cause even bigger delays if I tried to keep my passport in the UK instead of letting them send it to BKK. He said to get someone to come and sign for it in BKK and DHL it back to the UK lol. Add the ETD and how much is this thing gonnna cost in the end? Sure, partly my fault (late acceptance for B.Ed), but it could end up costing me around 300 pounds just to have the privilege of buying an airline ticket.

Will contact them, but need to avoid the helpline. Is there a number I could call with someone on the end who could actually spell 'passport'?

• Like 1

I don't believe for one minute that this issue was caused by the usual 'summer rush'.

It was caused by the huge movement of responsibility required for foreign passport renewals from the FCO to the Passport Office.

I suspect this whole fiasco was deliberate on the part of the passport office management and probably due to some kind of internal bickering over additional funding and staffing levels.

They didn't get what they wanted so they made sure there was a big problem for everyone.

If my optimism proves to be misplaced over the coming weeks and months and processing times actually remain the same or even increase further, then the "summer rush" explanation peddled by "Sir" Paul Pugh and his henchmen will clearly be seen as nothing more than a pathetic excuse and HMPO will be even more discredited (if that is possible).

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2