'I Hate Thailand' star comes clean: Video funded by TAT

webfact

This is an excellent video. I've seen it going around FB for a few days, now. It captures The Dream of an entire segment of would-be vacationers and visitors from the West. Extremely well done. People knocking the quality of this video haven't got a clue.

Yes, but you do agree - that it does not line up, very well, with the new way of administrating VISAS and Extensions.....right? And it does not fit, the "quality turist" agenda. Those western backpacker-types, are the ones they got rid of during the summer....now they are paying for videos, that should bring them back? Ehh...?!?

Yes, I agree, with one qualification. Do not discount the impact of this video on older, wealthier "quality tourists," too. What makes it so good, what makes its vision of the The Dream so effective is the almost retro nostalgic feel it generates--for a Thailand that was (in older visitors' minds) and it might just make them want to reconnect to their own desire for adventure and romance when they were young. It will appeal to more than backpackers. It generates the feel of the exotic, the romantic, and adventure among the palms. I think whoever made this caught lightning in a bottle.

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an excellent video. I've seen it going around FB for a few days, now. It captures The Dream of an entire segment of would-be vacationers and visitors from the West. Extremely well done. People knocking the quality of this video haven't got a clue.

Yes, but you do agree - that it does not line up, very well, with the new way of administrating VISAS and Extensions.....right? And it does not fit, the "quality turist" agenda. Those western backpacker-types, are the ones they got rid of during the summer....now they are paying for videos, that should bring them back? Ehh...?!?

Yes, I agree, with one qualification. Do not discount the impact of this video on older, wealthier "quality tourists," too. What makes it so good, what makes its vision of the The Dream so effective is the almost retro nostalgic feel it generates--for a Thailand that was (in older visitors' minds) and it might just make them want to reconnect to their own desire for adventure and romance when they were young. It will appeal to more than backpackers. It generates the feel of the exotic, the romantic, and adventure among the palms. I think whoever made this caught lightning in a bottle.

True - we all have "a story" that made us "bond" with Thailand. If that video brings back your-story and makes you think back, they did their job good.

But again, most people i know (including myself) has lost the rose-tinted. wai.gif

Actually thats the whole reason, im actually in my home country atm. and have been for several months. While all assets in LOS degenerate, slowly, but firmly.

• Like 1

In fairness, the best bit of marketing done by TAT for years.

Cheesy, but a good effort.

Did people really believe 100 Thais would take to a beach with candles for free to find someone's bag?

To be fair, something similar happened to me. But they were police and perhaps someone had a word to them on my behalf. :)

I've had positive experiences with the locals just as I have had positive experiences with people whom I have met whilst travelling.

I've also met some real jackasses. It just took three weeks and three people to book a room of behalf of a friend. There are still people working in the Thai tourist industry who give the country a bad name. Petty tyrants. To their staff and their potential customers. No idea of customer service at all. Just money mad.

It takes all sorts....

• Like 1

The video was trash, I couldn't sit through the whole thing. After a minute or two skipped to the end to confirm the inevitable conclusion, then closed it. It was stupid and condescending. Dumb angry farang saved by the pure hearted Thais. And yeah, the are just plutonic friends.

plutonic friends.?? thats a bit like kryptonite isnt it?? tongue.png

• Like 2

A muezzin call for prayer woke me up at my hotel in Whitechapel, London. I walked to the Tube. Rain and Sharia police coouldn't bother me. Most of the day, I spend in smelly trains. Cut.

Reasons to visit England? England:

They have their own "TAT". Is their video deceiving? No, its called advertising.

• Like 2

I'm in Phuket and believe me nothing in Phuket resembles anything in that video. As soon as they see white skin here the dollar (or rather Baht) signs flash in their eyes.

But I will defend Thailand in that I have had experiences similar to the video in the North. Particularly in Nan and Chiang Mai. I found the people up there much more friendly.

This video also seems to contradict Thailand's VISA rules. It seems to invite us to come for a holiday then stay for years.... How?

I've only just got my work permit and believe me it was like pulling teeth!

• Like 2

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

post-209519-0-95780200-1416536201_thumb.

Just watched the video yesterday, wanted to check out what the hype is all about. After a few seconds it was clear, that it is a paid advertisement, as you can't make a selfie video in this quality and also not from outside angle. After not getting beaten up by the taxi driver, I had no doubts whatsoever. And at just got worse after that.

But as a short movie, it's acceptable :)

Even if I hadn't known before seeing the video that it was staged, it was so apparent right from the beginning that I gave up watching after 2 mins of it.

If that sells people to come here then so be it, and let them find out the real Thailand for themselves. Some may be happy at the end of their holidays and some may not be.

Me, I've been here 8 years now and don't regret any of it, but come on, honestly, that video sucks. As somebody commented in an earlier post, I wouldn't want to be a farang throwing stones at a taxi driver and hoping nothing is going to happen!!!

• Like 1

I would like to add a rider though.

Anywhere in the world, when you buy a pack of cigarettes, you will see a large and noticeable warning on the possible/probable risks to your health.

WHERE IS THE HEALTH WARNING ON THIS ONE???whistling.gifcheesy.gif

many of the Thai people passed this around on facebook, believing it was real,

I didnt have the heart to say anything,

but, it was clearly a film

Say it Steve! This is the most childish add I have ever seen. Where do they come from? This will do more damage than good.

Dont take the rest of the world for fools Grow up please

Yup yup,it's really refreshing to see something else than the normal "Thai women scam Farangs" or "Thai economy goes for protectionism" complaints.

And the message is not even a lie:

Thai people usually really do their best to help Farangs in case they dropped or lost anything. Quite contrary to many Farangs, they do have a morale beyond money.

I think we all need to remind ourselves sometimes why we live here and love this country so much... I have read so many negative remarks about this video and it makes me sick to be honest. As i said we all need to remind ourselves sometimes why we love Thailand and for me this video does it because I have experienced very similar hospitality from Thai strangers over the years - Peace!

• Like 2

It's a great video, and it's also good evidence that many of the posts here go completely wrong.

In my opinion these are the quality tourists that Thailand needs:

The young ones, bagpackers or students, with maybe no money but a big heart - and a willingness to learn. They surely have no problems of being too old for a Thai gf, and I wish them all the best.

Sawasdee

A beautiful tale this is: A quality tourist comes to Thailand, loses his belongings after heavy drinking. Then he overstays as he doesn't have a clue about laws. Finally he starts teaching and working as a diving instructor illegally without a work permit and a teaching licence. He grows to understand life more and more in Thailand, and he's living the dream now.

• Like 1

The 2015 discover Thainess campaign will be fantastic and should boost the tourist numbers to the Kingdom making it No1 destination on the planet and showing the world that it is very safe with courteous service minded people who love tourists.

http://www.tatnews.org/thai-tourism-team-presents-%E2%80%9C2015-discover-thainess%E2%80%9D-campaign-at-wtm-2014/

http://www.thaiembassy.org/chennai/en/news/4113/51329-2015-Designated-%E2%80%9CThainess%E2%80%9D-Tourism-Year-%281411201.html

As long as these tourist avoid Danger Island ( Koh Tao ) all together as there is still a Rapist / Murderer at large, they should be able to return home safe telling their friends and family about their fantastic holiday in Amazing Thailand. whistling.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

A good attempt...

But too many falangs, especially the young are just too sophisticated to fall for what is a serious, well planned but desperate attempt to make an increasingly less attractive destination competitive.

Thailand has let its mojo slip through its fingers and its a too complex and delicate thing to get back with just PR.

• Like 1