Thai US aviation experts inspect Bell 212 helicopter crash site

Lite Beer

Thai US aviation experts inspect Bell 212 helicopter crash site

21-11-2557-12-30-12-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The US Bell Helicopter and the Thai army aviation experts returned to the crash site of a Bell 212 helicopter which crashed on the rubber tree field in Phayao province Monday killing all nine officers on board.

It was the second day of the inspection of the crash site looking for evidence.

The aviation team collected fractured and burnt pieces of the helicopter for examination and questioned witnesses in the area to determine the crash cause.

Security authorities still cordoned off a wide area of the field with tapes to allow the team to work.

Nine bodies of the officers who included the deputy commander of the Third Army Region Maj-Gen Songpol Thongjin were inside coffins covered with national flag at the Kuhasawan temple in Phitsanulok province.

Their Majesties the King and Queen have sent garlands to place in front if the coffins as an honour for the deceased officers died while on duties.

The Army has already promoted the ranks of all the dead officers up nine steps, and seven levels of rights for benefits.

Each will initially receive 2-6 million baht in accordance to their rights.

Promoted to general are Maj-Gen Songpol, Col Kitti Suwancharoen, Col Yuthapong Puenfoung, Lt-Col Wuthisak Sunthornsuk, and Lt-Col Manit Surasena.

Promoted to colonel is Capt Worapong Charngsalak, and promoted to lieutenant-general is Sergeant Master (first class) Anant Chomchiangkham.

Sergeant Master (first class) Apirun Daendondoo promoted to major-general, and Sergeant Master (second class) Sompob Malaiwong to Lieutenant colonel.

Royal cremation of the nine officers will be held on Sunday at 4.00 pm. Army commander-chief Gen Udomdej Seetabutr will chair the ceremony.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-us-aviation-experts-inspect-bell-212-helicopter-crash-site

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-21

Putting the tragic events to one side, I am puzzled to put it mildly as to the rational behind promoting the dead officers "up nine steps, and seven levels of rights for benefits". I know of no other military force in the world to be so generous and for a non-commissioned rank to be promoted straight to Lieutenant Colonel is simple mind blowing. By all means honour the dead and support the bereaved families but this shows a generosity only a military administration could bestow.

• Like 1

So a Captain is promoted to Colonel (three ranks) but a Master Sergeant makes it to Lieutenant General.........

I believe that Captain Worapong was the pilot. Is there a hidden message in the fact that he received such a minor promotion in comparison to all of the other promotions ?

• Like 1

Putting the tragic events to one side, I am puzzled to put it mildly as to the rational behind promoting the dead officers "up nine steps, and seven levels of rights for benefits". I know of no other military force in the world to be so generous and for a non-commissioned rank to be promoted straight to Lieutenant Colonel is simple mind blowing. By all means honour the dead and support the bereaved families but this shows a generosity only a military administration could bestow.

....but ....but it makes the Thai press happy. Now they can merrily continue to describe all nine deceased as "officers"

Maybe the RTA doing so tries to avoid claims in the millions from the families, like maybe the chopper was not flightworthy, the pilot under-trained, ...?

And even with such (sorry, but) silly promotions I guess a former-colonel-now-general's widow will not often invite for tea at home the widow of the former-sergeant-now-general, people must know their place after all...

I hold my breath every time one of these flying coffins comes over our place (quite often). Lucky they have new jets in Surat, gives us a break till the Saabs need a first major maintenance... Wonder why though they need to fly, over and over again, sometimes two in some 'aerial ballet', above Koh Pha Ngan and Koh Samui, as if there's no room elsewhere, or do they think the locals enjoy the noise and the tourists experience it as a plus? And what when one of these flying bombs comes down in a crowded area, Thais and Farangs alike then, it would even make more headlines outside Thailand than the Koh Tao murders, and have a persistent 'impact' on southern tourism! Let common sense prevail, before it's too late Mr air commodores &co, please, even when you're RTAF, try!

Copter wreckage removed for tests
The Nation

30248326-01_big.jpg

Officials load the wreckage of an Army UH-1 helicopter onto a truck at the crash site in Phayao province. The helicopter remains will be taken to the Army's Aviation Centre in Lop Buri province for examination to determine the cause of the crash.

BANGKOK: -- The wreckage of an Army UH-1 helicopter was removed from its crash site in Phayao province yesterday and taken to the Army's Aviation Centre in Lop Buri province for examination to determine the cause of the Tuesday incident in which all nine people on board were killed.

A commotion ensued during the operation when soldiers tried to prevent journalists and onlookers from breaching the 300-metre off-limits radius of the crash site. They also tried to stop reporters from speaking to representatives of Bell Helicopter, the US manufacturer of the craft, and taking photographs of the process.

The recovery of the wreckage began at 8.30am and took three hours to complete. Many soldiers complained of sustaining injuries while trying to hoist the fuselage from the muddy pond despite wearing protective clothing.

Before the wreckage was driven off at 2pm, Bell representatives and officials from the Aviation Centre said the Army would announce the duration of the examination and the results later.

Also, an unspecified amount in compensation was handed yesterday to the families of five Army officers killed in the crash, including Maj-General Songphol Thongjeen, a deputy commander of the Third Army Region.

The funeral of the five officers is being held at Wat Khooha Sawan in Phitsanulok province, where the Third Army Region headquarters is located, while the funeral of the remaining four is being held at Wat Dong Swong in Lop Buri, where they were based.

The five officers at the Phitsanulok-based temple will be cremated at 3pm tomorrow, while those at the Lop Buri temple will be cremated on Monday at 4pm.

The families of Lop Buri-based soldiers will be compensated later.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Copter-wreckage-removed-for-tests-30248326.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-22

Why do so many worry about something that is none of our business, they are dead and at least the Enlisted Mens Families can use the benefits.

In the USA there is a $250,000.00 benefit (8,195,000. THB) plus survivors benefits.

Yes, I agree. Some complain about the posthumous promotions and most likely would complain if nothing were done.

Complaining is a hobby for some that have no stake, no,voting rights, no Thai citizenship and no business.

Pilot error.......hopefully it will be a thorough investigation without cover-ups....

Are you a fully qualified and accredited accident investigator that knows ALL the facts without actually visiting the crash site, sifting through the wreckage and talking to all the eyewitnesses?

If you are then I stand in awe of you.

If you are not why did you insinuate what you did?

Hopefully you will think before posting on a topic like this next time.

Bollics. The answer is simple... LACK OF PROPER MAINTAINCE.

And you know this how?

Do you have access to all the aircraft documentation since it was brought on to strength?

Do you know all the maintanence procedures for that particular helicopter?

Do you personally know every man who has ever worked on it and what they did?

Are you talking from your a*** or do you actually have any idea at all?

Edited by billd766

Bollics. The answer is simple... LACK OF PROPER MAINTAINCE.

Why bother with bringing US experts in then, should have just sent "whizbang" to the site and he can amaze everyone with his in depth knowledge of aviation accident investigation, actually they could save money on the cost of transport to the site as it appears he can do it all from the comfort of his bar stool on Nana plaza

To be serious the helicopter I do believe is not one that is configured or sold as a military aircraft. and maybe registered or licensed or recognized as a civilian aviation aircraft.. SInce the helicopter is US made, the NTSB most likely has dispatched investigators.

Those investigators will file a report in a few months or years, WhizBang can get his answer then.... oh BTW Whizbang, most crashes are pilot error.

EDIT: Sorry I'm wrong I misread it as a BELL 222, not a UH-1 as listed in the last news article in this thread i didnt read before reply... ignore. My mistake

Edited by jcisco

• 3 months later...