Duke Axial Engine

seedy

I don't get that magazine.

Are you talking about this engine?

Interesting comments there too.

Why bother with any new combustion engine when electric will take over?

I also question the vibrations/torque spin an engine like this would make when all the cylinder bores are spinning around.

If the engine is mounted inline, it will make the bike lean when revved.

If it is mounted longitudinally it will shift weight back or front when revved.

Maybe it could be mounted vertically but I still think it would make the bike lean.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see this as a good engine for a 2 wheeler.

It has similarities to an aircraft variable plate hydraulic pump.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Hele Shaw pump, swash plate pump - similar application as a ship's steering gear pump. In that application, the plate angle can be varied to vary the flow rate & direction of hydraulic fluid - probably the same with your aviation usage.

They're also used as fridge compressors and no doubt more uses I can't remember just now.

So wide applications and not a new innovation but new to vehicle/motorcycle engine use.

There'd no doubt be some torque reaction but no worse than BMW boxer twins (perhaps not the more recent ones, I don't know) or Guzzi twins, whose riders have coped with it for years.

Because of the capability to vary the plate angle, the displacement of the engine could be variable and could even give your bike a reverse gear. On a practical level, though, I doubt either of those qualities would be in demand on a bike.

On second thoughts, maybe the variable displacement ability would allow the gearbox to be done away with - perhaps more suitable for large truck engines than bikes.

Edited by MartinL

I don't think by the looks of the design that capacity can be changed, but what could be Changed if the swash plate is actually that and is variable, would be the compression ratio giving variable horsepower & torque. That could be quite useful for variable riding modes. From a hotrod guys perspective it also means that some kind of supercharging could be added. Really interesting possibilities.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Fifty years ago the Dyna-cam was going to be the rage and they built several prototypes as well. Many similar iterations have followed but none have become commercially viable. It will be interesting to see if Duke can get their version to market and I would love to see those available to see how they work out.

• Like 1

If they get the size down they can fit it in . Cogsworth engines are some of the meanest baddest ass builders of engines of all time. No on refutes that. Still the king in NHRA drags. It I think it was Dutchbike on this forum could fir a Mazda RX& motor on a bike I don't see why they couldn't do it. the drive train is the easiest part of the set up. I wish them luck. Personally till they get a bike that lasts at least 300-400 kilos on an electrical charge I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I could just imagine going to a service station & begging for a boost so you can get on your way. But 14.1 compression that is huge. I wish them well I would buy after the second year as I am fairly certain the size won't be that much of an issue to do for these boys. They do have the top gear heads designing them. Time will tell. I read that this engine may replace the rotaries in diesel trucks as well. The article doesn't mention they have been designing this type of engine for a long time. I don't have a link but read about the R&D I think it was on a Nascar site 2 years ago. Now if they can get this high compression in Nascar cars that would solve engines blowing up increase fuel mileage. Conventional engines up & down on the pistons crank & valve train are the death of all engines. This while it does not eliminate friction entirely Or they would be building for Nasa would extend the life 10 fold.It will be interesting to see. Hell If it takes 10 more years I will only be 69 & if I can still holsd the bike up I will be all over it if they can get it in a 300,000 baht potion! Maybe even 450,000 baht.

AHAHAHA!!!

Slides this.. slide that.. balls and socket joins.. more pistons than plugs.... "reciprocator"

If this crap can be built and runs 1 hr, that would a success in itself.

Noting more than an exercise in capital funding raising.

. Cogsworth engines are some of the meanest baddest ass builders of engines of all time. No on refutes that. Still the king in NHRA drags.

Cogsworth ?

What NHRA class are they kings off ?

Ahh You ever hear of John Force or Kenny Bernstein They have been using cogsworth since they started production. Every Chevy Vega has a cogsworth in Sonoma Ca, Sears Point. And they are the kings of that sport many many times over! you ever watch any NHRA events or participate in working on the rides? I have!

. Cogsworth engines are some of the meanest baddest ass builders of engines of all time. No on refutes that. Still the king in NHRA drags.

Cogsworth ?

Ahh You ever hear of John Force or Kenny Bernstein They have been using cogsworth since they started production. Every Chevy Vega has a cogsworth in Sonoma Ca, Sears Point. And they are the kings of that sport many many times over! you ever watch any NHRA events or participate in working on the rides? I have!

Both are my favourite NHRA drivers. John uses a Ford engine and Kenny uses Brad Anderson hemi engines.

I find little reference to cogsworth on the internet, do you have a link as Iam keen to learn more.

Cogsworth ?

Both are my favourite NHRA drivers. John uses a Ford engine and Kenny uses Brad Anderson hemi engines.

I find little reference to cogsworth on the internet, do you have a link as Iam keen to learn more.

I just see whats in the cars every wed the top racers come out in late july they have 2 weeks of NHRA I had a paint shop & also did a lot of overflow paint work for the nascar winston & nextel cup cars. The shop next to me tuned top end cars where I also worked on building super modified cars. Throughout the years for at least 88- 2004 cogsworth engines are known to be the bees knees because you can tweak the hell out of the engines & they are ultra strong . The cogsworth site probably can tell more. I never seen any of the Vegas or some of the lancers ever modified pintos(don't laugh) run cogs. They just are bulletproof engines & they have been around forever. I lived at the track at sears point & alot of times slept in my shop so I could be up to work painting & tuning for race days. The only people I didn't work on their engines were the sonoma county Sherrifs dept rides.I was more into setting up the cars whatever they were to blow the doors off of beat the heat wed nites. I still race drifting now 2-4 weeks a year at sears point. I went to every course (4) they offered except Russells new formula 3. I just love horsepower & making modified frames to house ungodly beast engines. John Has been with ford forever but his setups have been formulated with more than stock ford parts for sure. Unlike Nascar you don't have to adhere to the MFG's stock bodies or engines. You want to run a dodge tranny on a ford or a lotus engine it is up to you. My biggest thrill was modifying one of the frames that housed a jet engine. You should go to the track in July when the big boys run If I make it up there I may be able to swing an admit 1 extra garage pass if you want. Not sure if I go in june-july this year or July-august. I race a 2004 Mazda Modified RX8 at night. If i make it in August I will get to ride in the pro bracket for a very nice purse. Jarrod & I run a very hot twin turbo model RX8. I have a spare engine that I am looking for a viper body for and some sponsors. If I wasn't living in Thailand I would be back racing on a full schedule. Unfortunately I don't race bikes anymore. I like have a heavy roll cage so when you stack you don't get hurt.Unfortunately it costs every cent I make to keep this habit alive.My thing now is more drifting. My next course I think is run bu my hero Ken Block a 2400 HP diesel truck drifting! That & my first free dive within the next 2 years is on my bucket list. I will die broke but happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Racing costs $$$$ I have to come up with the change for 4 tires alone for a 2 week drift competition that is not counting all,l the other suspention engine turbos & whatever even the fluids are not cheap for the cars. The drifting If I am up I can for sure get you a pass anytime I get 4 a race. But I guess I am off track this is a motorcycle forum. But I would gladly be down for a gear head forum Maybe not on TV cause I wouldn't want to be censored . Let me know if you will be in the states & I will see what I can do ticket wise.but this year I have a new Nikon camera waiting for me at my sisters house in Illinois so I will most likely be going in June & back to Sonoma by the 28th for the Nascar race.

I got a garage pass waiting from Gordons crew. He lived in Fairfield 25 miles from the track. Very nice guy I like Jeff .

Well thanks for the long winded reply Beardog but you completely dodge my questions.

Can you please direct me to cogsworth website and more importantly how they are involved in top fuel and funny car engines run by John Force and Kenny Bernstein.

Well thanks for the long winded reply Beardog but you completely dodge my questions.

Can you please direct me to cogsworth website and more importantly how they are involved in top fuel and funny car engines run by John Force and Kenny Bernstein.

I offered you better a ticket & a chance to meet John Force & you dogged that question look it up it is all over the web. You want consultation I charge $300.00 an hour I don't care if your the president or the king of England Don't be lazy through the very limited link in Cosworth engines & the 50,000 pages on the NHRA You will find your answer. You want me to set a ride up for you bring your wallet like everyone else. I don't like pissing matches Better yet Get a ride & lets go for a major purse on the race.Don't be so lazy dude have another chang & surf the web if your that interested Maybe you will have something to add to the conversation. But this is the motorcycle forum so lets get on topic eh!

But you wanna do it book a flight to San Fran when I go there & you can fulfill all your dreams & meet some heavyweights.

I offered you better a ticket & a chance to meet John Force & you dogged that question look it up it is all over the web. You want consultation I charge $300.00 an hour I don't care if your the president or the king of England Don't be lazy through the very limited link in Cosworth engines & the 50,000 pages on the NHRA You will find your answer. You want me to set a ride up for you bring your wallet like everyone else. I don't like pissing matches Better yet Get a ride & lets go for a major purse on the race.Don't be so lazy dude have another chang & surf the web if your that interested Maybe you will have something to add to the conversation. But this is the motorcycle forum so lets get on topic eh!

But you wanna do it book a flight to San Fran when I go there & you can fulfill all your dreams & meet some heavyweights.

ok so now it is Cosworth engines.

Still zero affiliation with the either John Force or Kenny Bernstein.

but am interested in this ticket and a chance to meet John Force.... have already met him once but a free ticket to do again would be nice........ when did you offer that ?

in a nutshell though..... you are a (DELETED)

Post edited for language

Edited by seedy