Isuzu pick up 2.5 or 3.0 litre?

Kenny202

Anyone have any experience with these engines? The guy at the dealer told me definitely go the 3.0 litre.

My priorities are long engine life and economy moreso than power. Fuel economy alone would suggest the

2.5 as the better option. Does anyone have any experience with these engines? Just want to make sure the

2.5 isn't a dog

I have had both, 2.5 manual and 3.0 AT.

I did prefer the 3.0, more power, but the 2.5 was more than sufficient and more than fast enough at the lights, also no problems in the hills. And it did run a lot cheaper.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

If you buy a new truck I would go for the 2.5 litre engine.

If wanted or needed can always go for a chip tuning.

The one that can go from normal tune to extra power, mostly in the 15-20% range.

There are even chiptuning sets available that let you choose between normal and extra power or economy, normal and power settings.

Shop around, in my view worth the money.

Most of the time chip tuning gives more oomph and a better fuel economy.

Chiptuned a Landrover TD5 110, driving around with a twin axle trailer, most of the time loaded to the max or over.

Before the chiptune an average of 10,5 litres per 100 km, after the chiptune 9,2 litres per 100 km.

Plus more power (+20%), higher maximum speed, tried it out till 160 km/h still had reserve for more.

A Nissan truck chiptuned, more power +18%, less diesel -6%

The 2.5 and 3.0 litre engines from Isuzu are tuned very conservatively.

Good mix between power and consumption.

But a good chiptune does wonders!

Edited by hansnl

We / I have run a couple of 2.5 litre Isuzi pick up for some 10 years. Totally up to the job Motorway cruising or heavy loads on the farm and to market too.

Ugly brutes tha'll pull a town hall clock down with no effort

We have done the Isuzu Insight Chalenge a couple of times and the 3ltrs generally did better on fuel consumption than the 2.5s. Maybe because they hold on to gear 5 longer when going up hill.

Its reputed that the 1.9ltr version will be available here sometime next year. Dont know if it will replace the 2.5 or not.

Also I think that the auto 4*4 is only available with the 3ltr engine.

As I PM'd you ... go to the Motor Expo.

We have done the Isuzu Insight Chalenge a couple of times and the 3ltrs generally did better on fuel consumption than the 2.5s. Maybe because they hold on to gear 5 longer when going up hill.

Its reputed that the 1.9ltr version will be available here sometime next year. Dont know if it will replace the 2.5 or not.

In Thailand get an easy 1200Km to the tank out of my Isuzu D-Max 4X4, 3 Litre, Auto Transmission. Has more than enough power and idles up the hills using less fuel.

I see where the same vehicle in Australia, under Isuzu drivers got 1447 Klm to one tank, however that was on the flats in the Outback.

The one that can go from normal tune to extra power, mostly in the 15-20% range.

There are even chiptuning sets available that let you choose between normal and extra power or economy, normal and power settings.

Chiptuned a Landrover TD5 110, driving around with a twin axle trailer, most of the time loaded to the max or over.

Before the chiptune an average of 10,5 litres per 100 km, after the chiptune 9,2 litres per 100 km.

Plus more power (+20%), higher maximum speed, tried it out till 160 km/h still had reserve for more.

Car manufacturers should really hire those magical chip tuners instead of spending billions in R&D just to gain 20hp for their motor new version.

Car manufacturers should really hire those magical chip tuners instead of spending billions in R&D just to gain 20hp for their motor new version.

The manufactures need to cater for little old ladies driving with an empty truck to farmers off roading fully laden with a couple ton of watermelons and a trailer with a couple buffaloes or something in it flat out for several days at a time. Hence the engines are rather conservatively tuned to produce longevity across the board. So yes their R&D for billions as you put is is well spent from their perspective because to destroy an engine you'd have to go pretty much outside the design envelope. Protects the manufacturer from fit for purpose law suits etc. It also leaves them some headroom to tweak the engine with each facelift and sell it to the end user as an "All New Product".

Therefore there is often a significant amount of gain available with chip tuning.

Taking the Isuzu example, the same basic block has been used for well over a decade from the 120HP non common rail in several variants going on to 146HP, 163HP and i think the current model is 174HP. Same basic internals, different fuel system, 4 valve cylinderheads and different turbos, and ECU fuel system mapping, have all contributed to extracting more power whilst maintaining reliability and longevity.

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 2

For engine longevity I would go for the 3ltr, has bundles of low end torque with little turbo help, where we spend most of our driving time. A smaller engine with similar torque numbers will be using turbo force to achieve it. So smaller does not necessarily mean more economical as the (perhaps bigger) turbo is forcing more fuel in.

For engine longevity I would go for the 3ltr, has bundles of low end torque with little turbo help, where we spend most of our driving time. A smaller engine with similar torque numbers will be using turbo force to achieve it. So smaller does not necessarily mean more economical as the (perhaps bigger) turbo is forcing more fuel in.

The Isuzu 2.5L isn't tuned for headline numbers like some others in the segment, it's tuned for economy and lifespan. I'd go the 2.5L if FE was my primary concern. It'll still do 400,000+ KM's.

In Thailand get an easy 1200Km to the tank out of my Isuzu D-Max 4X4, 3 Litre, Auto Transmission. Has more than enough power and idles up the hills using less fuel.

I see where the same vehicle in Australia, under Isuzu drivers got 1447 Klm to one tank, however that was on the flats in the Outback.

not my 4dr 2wd auto 3.0 never came close to 1200km a tank but i do drive the max safe speed when on a long trip. Thinking about it r/t to bkk from pattaya with normal heavy traffic uses3/4 of a tank

Kenny202 post # 20

1200-1400 km a tank? How big is the tank on these things and how much approx is diesel per liter in Thailand?

Diesel is 29.39 baht a litre here in Thailand and tank size is around 80 litres.

No heavy right foot on the loud pedal on a long run and 15-16 K.P.L. is easily achievable.

Edited by siampolee

Heng ---> Dealer ---> Brochure ---> Answer

or

Heng ---> Google ---> online specs --> Answer

Me ---> coffee1.gif

Is the only model with 'leather' seats the top 3.0 model? Or does the "top" 2.5 model have them as well?

:-)

Question: Is the Isuzu D Max really a GM Chevy Duramax engine.or vice versa ?

The Chevy (2.8L) is an Italian VM design, the Isuzu is theirs. Wait for the new 2.5L twin turbos from Isuzu.

Yep, the the current gen Chevy engines (2.5 and 2.8) are VM Motori's - nothing to do with the 2.5 and 3.0 in the current DMax. The previous generations of the Colorado used Isuzu engines exclusively though.

• Like 1