Good Restaurants in Chiang Mai

stament

Yummy Pizza on the canal rd is another great choice.

Just want to verify that they are still on Canal road next to Koolpunt View 7? Their Facebook page when you click on the map sends you off to Mahidol road but typing into Google Maps shows it on Canal Road.

Yes it is still on the Canal Road.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourites at the moment are:

Mexican - Salsa Kitchen

Sushi - either of the Tengoku restaurants or Tsunami on Huey Guaw

Western - Dukes, The Brotherhood, Kelly's, The Organic Coffee Bus

Looking for recommendations for good Indian restaurants :)

narkeddiver, if you are around Nimmen and are looking for Indian I know only one place. It's right in front of the Starbucks on Soi 9 (I am pretty sure it is Soi 9.) Small place directly on the Soi and maybe 25 meters away from Nimmen. It use to be a Japanese place. Outdoor dining only.

My favourites at the moment are:

Mexican - Salsa Kitchen

Sushi - either of the Tengoku restaurants or Tsunami on Huey Guaw

Western - Dukes, The Brotherhood, Kelly's, The Organic Coffee Bus

Looking for recommendations for good Indian restaurants smile.png

New Delhi is by far the best in town. Slow cooked though, so bring your iPhone. Well worth the wait.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d3378837-Reviews-New_Delhi_Indian_Food-Chiang_Mai.html

• 2 weeks later...

I work with a bunch of Thais, but I wish they knew a good Kow Mok Gai place. I want yellow rice, not brown. There used to be a really amazing one in the 5th floor food court at KSK, but it went bust during the chicken flu scare a few years ago. I've never found one that good again.

If you are ever at the Maehia market, I have taken home Kow Mok Gai there (left aisle about half way down) that I thought was quite good. Oh, and if you like sai oua, the people on right side near the front (while looking into the market) are the best in my opinion. I go there even though I don't live in that area any more.

Edited by just_Elaine

Went to Soi 1 Bar Bakery Cafe last week. Happy to report that the big breakfast (English style) was the best I've had in Thailand by far. I would also go on to say one of the best outside and inside England too! Thoroughly recommended with great homemade sausage and bread.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yummy Pizza on the canal rd is another great choice.

Just want to verify that they are still on Canal road next to Koolpunt View 7? Their Facebook page when you click on the map sends you off to Mahidol road but typing into Google Maps shows it on Canal Road.

Yes, its still in its original location, I visited a couple of weeks ago before my return to Bangkok. A very pleasant experience!

Went to Soi 1 Bar Bakery Cafe last week. Happy to report that the big breakfast (English style) was the best I've had in Thailand by far. I would also go on to say one of the best outside and inside England too! Thoroughly recommended with great homemade sausage and bread.

tried archers,that takes some beating,but thanks for head up,will give it a butchers one day.

Any idea where i can get a salad for 50-60 baht? No cheese or ham. Veg salad.

TOPS supermarket in Kad Suan Kaew. Pre-packaged salads 35-55 thb or you can create your own (pay by weight) from their salad bar containing a nice variety of vegetables.

(Edit: Yes, I know it's a thread about restaurants. I don't know of any restaurants, however, where you can get a salad for 50 thb.)

Edited by Diplomatico

• 6 months later...

The Thapae Gate McDonald's is better. tongue.png

why ?

Just joking. They all taste the same. I don't consider most fast food places to be "good" restaurants, but I can remember when - for Chiang Mai - they were about the best that you could do, for foreign food.

When would that have been? McDonald's is a fairly recent addition when the first one opened at the Night Bazar. (They're opening at a 7-Eleven pace now, but that's even more recent).

Before that there was KFC.. Which was terrible and remains terrible. And a couple donut shops, like at the Phucome intersection and in Central Kad Suan Kaew.

Oh and there was a Chester's in KSK, not sure if that counts.

Back to your premise: was any of that really better than America restaurant, Dara Steak, the Irish Pub or even $*(#$^&@* JJ's at the Montri? Also the handful of higher-end hotels in Chiang Mai had restaurants that weren't too bad, like at the Amari Rincome.

Those don't hold a candle to the current plethora of restaurants, but I'd like to think they were better than a stale chicken sandwich at Chester's. (Memories do improve with time, but I'd like to think I'm among the better ones on this forum in resisting rose colored sentiments of the old days..)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The Thapae Gate McDonald's is better. tongue.png

why ?

Just joking. They all taste the same. I don't consider most fast food places to be "good" restaurants, but I can remember when - for Chiang Mai - they were about the best that you could do, for foreign food.

When would that have been?

In 1989, I don't think there were any fast food places at all. They started trickling in a few years later and NONE of the Western restaurants near Thapae Gate was any good.

There was one guy who would get really drunk and do a roast over near where Paradise Pizza is now, but that was more of a bar with nothing else on the menu. The first good Western place that I remember was the America restaurant, which was Dave the Duke's first venture in Thailand. That was in 1991.

Yep, we like the food court in the Airport Plaza basement as well. The other food court we like is at the Big C Extra, old Carrefour. It's hard to find a place to sit at either of these places at lunchtime.

Grin

Airport Plaza basement Lanna Food Court is excellent but certainly you are joking about the Big C food court aren't you? Hard to find a place to sit? It's usually 1/3 full. Even my Thai friends and family don't want to eat there.

I'd have thought anyone mentioning food courts in reply to a topic about Good Restaurants, is joking. Some food courts may well have good food, but that doesn't make them a Good Restaurant. Except on Thaivisa, maybe.

Can anyone recommend any in or near Nong Hoi?

Thanks

For Thai food, I like Yang Pao Dao Din. edit: Maybe its called Im Pla Pao. Google maps and Facebook have it as Yang Pao Dao Din, but their Facebook page links to Im Pla Pao.

Google maps coordinates are 18.762331, 99.037964. A bit tricky to get to, opposite Promenada, but I think the only entry is off the slip road approaching the traffic lights. From Nong Hoi, I'd get on the superhighway toward Lampang at the Don Chan intersection, take a left at the first intersection south, the 3029 (or 700 Year ring road) and then come off that road at the first intersection, with the entrance to the restaurant being on that slip road.

Edited by naboo

• 1 month later...

I used to have cat fished chopped up and fried with rice at a small restaurant a few years back, not sure what the thai name is for the dish. Keen to have it again but not many places serve it, can anyone recommend anywhere please, dont want touristy place prefer a regular thai place where regular thai folks eat please.

Just to bring to the attention of all foodies in CM: newly announced International Buffet Lunch, all you can eat, at Mercure Hotel. Only baht 250. Hotel located along Chang Puek Rd, aka Chotana Highway. Have seen the news signs, not eaten there.

However, i suspect that the Caberet Theater, down the street 200 meters, and the large new construction next to the Caberet and the new hotel lunch buffet all have one thing in common: chinese tourists. Maybe we will be getting some Sichuan dishes soon.

They started trickling in a few years later and NONE of the Western restaurants near Thapae Gate was any good.

I ate regularly at the Bier Stube restaurant back then and was pretty happy with them. Large American breakfast nearly every day for 80 Baht. Often had an evening meal there also. I tried Dara's once and never went back again. There was a place opened on Moon Muang at the corner of Ratmakka rd that had very good pork steaks and other dishes that were quite good. I started going there often after it opened but it didn't seem to fair well and wasn't around long.

Can anyone recommend any in or near Nong Hoi?

Thanks

The somewhat strangely named Soi 1 bar is there, within easy walking distance of Riverside and Holliday Inn, on the small soi that enters Chang Klan road after the bridge

between Holliday Inn and the hospital:

https://www.facebook.com/Soi-1-Bar-608189029217288/timeline/

Never understood the "bar" part of the name, as it feels much more like a restaurant than a bar. Food has been good every time I've been there.

Edited by Awk

Just to bring to the attention of all foodies in CM: newly announced International Buffet Lunch, all you can eat, at Mercure Hotel. Only baht 250. Hotel located along Chang Puek Rd, aka Chotana Highway. Have seen the news signs, not eaten there.

However, i suspect that the Caberet Theater, down the street 200 meters, and the large new construction next to the Caberet and the new hotel lunch buffet all have one thing in common: chinese tourists. Maybe we will be getting some Sichuan dishes soon.

Did the Mercure takeover the Novotel? This hotel is just up from Topps if my memory serves me.coffee1.gif

Did the Mercure takeover the Novotel? This hotel is just up from Topps if my memory serves me.coffee1.gif

Yes it did. Many, many years ago. Both are owned by Accor. I think Mercure is somewhat downmarket as compared to Novotel.