Bangkok Post reporter retracts interview with Yingluck

webfact

Bangkok Post Reporter Retracts Interview With Yingluck
By Khaosod English

14169150751416916675l.jpg
Then-Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra shops for goods at a stall near the Office of Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Defence, 1 May 2014.

BANGKOK - The Bangkok Post has pulled an article in which a reporter claimed to have interviewed former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The Bangkok Post, Thailand's most established English-language newspaper, published "Yingluck Saw the Coup Coming" by Wassana Nanuam on 24 November.

Billed as the first interview with Ms. Yingluck since the military staged a coup against her government on 22 May 2014, the piece gained considerable attention almost immediately after it was made available.

Ms. Yingluck was quoted as saying that she was contemplating running in the next election, and that since her first day as Prime Minister she had expected to be ousted either by the military or by one of Thailand's "independent agencies." The remarks were considered unusually strong for the former PM, who is known for her modest speeches.

In the article, Yingluck went as far as criticising the military coup, which was by led by former army chief Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha: "It's the same as if the people handed me the car keys and said I must drive and lead the country. Then suddenly, someone points a gun at my head and tells me to get out of the car while I'm at the wheel driving the people forward."

The article was later removed from the Bangkok Post's website and its author, Wassana Nanuam, later wrote on her Facebook that the piece was not based on an interview with Yingluck. Rather, the article was drawn from bits and pieces of private conversations with the former leader, Wassana wrote.

"I just wanted to present lighthearted and colourful angles [of former PM Yingluck]. I didn't want to focus on politics," Wassana wrote. "Let me insist that this is not an interview. It's a recollection of lighthearted and colourful topics about the former Madam Prime Minister."

According to Wassana, the editors at Bangkok Post "misunderstood" the intention of her article when they edited the piece.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1416915075&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-11-26

Related topic:
Thai PM threatens to bar Yingluck from travelling abroad

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/779335-thai-pm-threatens-to-bar-yingluck-from-travelling-abroad/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai editor and/or reporter breaching the most respected traditions and principles of journalism. Truth and facts.

"The article was later removed from the Bangkok Post's website and its author, Wassana Nanuam, later wrote on her Facebook that the piece was not based on an interview with Yingluck. Rather, the article was drawn from bits and pieces of private conversations with the former leader, Wassana wrote.''

The claims made are, if the above is correct, genuine.

The claim about how they were obtained was false.

"Meanwhile, Gen. Prayuth, the chairman of the military junta, said today that Yingluck is free to run in the election if Thailand's Election Commission approves her application, and suggested that he would not be "troubled" if she won.

"If she can run, people are free to vote for her. It's not my business. I'm not a voter," Gen. Prayuth said."

From the same article and a little more interesting.

• Like 1

In the article, Yingluck went as far as criticising the military coup, which was by led by former army chief Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha: "It's the same as if the people handed me the car keys and said I must drive and lead the country. Then suddenly, someone points a gun at my head and tells me to get out of the car while I'm at the wheel driving the people forward."

"I just wanted to present lighthearted and colourful angles [of former PM Yingluck]. I didn't want to focus on politics," FAIL! Wassana wrote. "Let me insist that this is not an interview. It's a recollection of lighthearted and colourful topics about the former Madam Prime Minister."

Colorful?, yes; 'lighthearted'? NOT

She reminds me of Lt. Sunisa, a Thaksin sycophant.

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

"The remarks were considered unusually strong for the former PM, who is known for her modest speeches."

Modest? Not sure that's the adjective I'd use.

Let me get my dictionary.......

'her modest speeches' Yeah, like her 'democracy' speech in Mongolia

Premier Yingluck Shinawatra's strongly worded speech in Mongolia

http://www.infomongolia.com/ct/ci/5938

I'd forgotten about that debacle.

Was it not reported yesterday that YL was not returning to politics and wanted to be a social worker ?

No investigative journalism here but a lot of the fantasy version.

actually that's what the headline implied. Reading the article what she was quoted as say was something like - she doesn't know if she will return to politics, and if she does not return to politics, she might want to be a social worker and help people.

The usual statement from a politician - don't commit to anything.

Sounds like dear leader has pointed a gun at the reporter. Guess it's off to the factory to have her I love dear leader chip implanted.

You really dont like the fella, do ya' biggrin.png
To be honest no. He demands admiration and respect from the masses and if you don't love and adore him you are dragged off for forced adjustment. Yingluk was a numnut and had to be replaced but this guy is totally self centred. He thinks he is god and the country is his and he is extremely dangerous.
His popularity must really hurt you then :)
  • Like 2

A Thai editor and/or reporter breaching the most respected traditions and principles of journalism. Truth and facts.

A Thai editor and/or reporter breaching the (outside of Thailand) most respected traditions and principles of journalism. Truth and facts.

I hope you don't mind my little extra note. Thank you three times!thumbsup.gif

".....the former PM, who is known for her modest speeches."

Giving a whole new range of meanings to the word "modest".

My wife is from a rice farming family, and used to support Yingluck.

She now has no time for her or her family/party and says she comes across as "not a good speaker" (that is a very mild version of her description of her) and cannot believe she stayed in power for as long as she did.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that she has probably been handed everything to her on a platter all her life and had no right to become the PM of any country with zero/zip/zilch political experience.

Apart from the rotten events across the country in 2010, the lowest the Shins have ever stooped.

Bit like the current leader then?

• Like 1