Rat Snake or Cobra?

T_Dog

Walking the dog in the rice field today I saw a snake in the water and walked up to take a photo. Suddenly it reared up and launched itself at me, coming up the side of small canal. I ran back, distracting the dog so it would not notice it. Was pretty sure it was Rat Snake but never saw one aggressive like this one, and now, looking at the photos, it looks more Cobra-like. Photos are not too good as I never had time to let the camera focus. Any opinions on what it is?

post-498-0-83780100-1417059816_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-17206500-1417059827_thumb.jpg

Sorry I just can't make out the features from the photos.

However Tdog.

The Oriental Rat snake can be quite aggressive, it's a fast snake, it moves faster than a cobra and will strike at things much larger than itself. They become more aggressive at certain times of the year. They're non venomous but that doesn't stop them from biting.

This is probably one of the most common snakes in Thailand to be mistaken for a Cobra.

The Cobra really likes to flare it's hood when it's feeling aggressive or defensive. If there was no prominent 'hood' then it may have been a rat snake.

Glad you didn't kill it. :)

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

I thought its behavior was also very viper-like but could not find anything quite like it in the snake literature. I have seen dozens of rat snakes here and that head definitely did not look like it, although I was rather, er, rushed! Have gotten too used to seeing snakes so have to turn up my caution level.

A cobra is actually quite slow and only reacts to nearby movement. Even then it is slow and quite non-agressive - unless of course you directly provoke it and get too close. The best thing you can do, if facing a cobra is just stand still and wait for it to go away. Move and it will strike.

I would put my money on a rat snake :-) They can be really fast and also stupidly agressive.

• Like 1

I once went outside at night in my bare feet for a wee wee and fortunately heard the hiss of a cobra which was in the classic posture near where I was going to do it. Sucking on the wound is no longer advised I believe.

That's when the doctor told the nurse that is not advisable.cheesy.gif

It's pose is very viper like and it has an Ace of Spades head like a viper not a ratsnake or cobra dare I say.

Possibly.

Next time OP, please stop and get a focused shot. Lol.

Good advice somewhere here was to leave all snakes alone and treat them all as venomous.

Most people get bitten by snakes when Trying to catch or kill them.

It's pose is very viper like and it has an Ace of Spades head like a viper not a ratsnake or cobra dare I say.

Possibly.

Good advice somewhere here was to leave all snakes alone and treat them all as venomous.

It doesn't look like a pit viper to me. I think what people are seeing is the tightly coiled neck looking like the wide part of a viper's head - if it was the head of a viper then the eyes are in the wrong place! The long, thin tail also looks wrong for a viper. My guess would be rat snake but there are other possibilities, such as Racer, which can be aggressive, or Keelback, which likes hanging around waterways.

• Like 1

Possibly.

Got that Neverdie, but only if you steady the tripod! In eight years of snake encounters in Thailand, this is the first one that really got my attention.

• Like 1

Possibly.

Got that Neverdie, but only if you steady the tripod! In eight years of snake encounters in Thailand, this is the first one that really got my attention.

I'm not allowed to play with snakes anymore. The wife got angry with me a few years ago when I picked up a,Cobra that a couple of Thais were trying to kill.....it nearly got the better of me too..... I was trying to protect it. :(

Any how's, I laughed when I saw ur shots and I could even imagine the girlie screams u were making as you got those action shots.

:P

It doesn't look like a pit viper to me. I think what people are seeing is the tightly coiled neck looking like the wide part of a viper's head - if it was the head of a viper then the eyes are in the wrong place! The long, thin tail also looks wrong for a viper. My guess would be rat snake but there are other possibilities, such as Racer, which can be aggressive, or Keelback, which likes hanging around waterways.

Good to know that there are Keelbacks in the area, and this could very well have been it. Like all the threads I see on Thai Visa, the quality of the photo can either make or break a positive identification and mine is certainly insufficient. Thanks for the suggestions.

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/rear-fanged/red-necked-keelback-venomous-mildly-dangerous/

• Like 1