Thai tourism ministry unveils plan for sustainable tourism growth

webfact

TOURISM
Ministry unveils plan for sustainable tourism growth

SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

30248699-01_big.jpg
Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, third from left, and hospitality experts say Thai tourism will face challenges in the coming years.

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry has unveiled its strategic plan to drive the tourism sector through sustainable growth, even as hospitality experts warn that the travel industry face challenges in the coming years.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said her ministry had drafted a one-year plan that aimed to establish fundamentals for long-term growth.

She said the ministry would promote transparency and reduced duplication of work in its departments.

Meanwhile, enhanced cooperation with state agencies and private organisations as well as preparing to deal with crisis and emergency issues will be concerns.

"The ministry has a timeline to work through next year, starting in the first quarter with conducting surveys and obtaining information before kicking off test runs for pilot projects. After seeing the results in the third quarter, we will put them into implementation if the pilot projects have run well," she said.

She added that encouraging young people to understand and be part of tourism development was one of the ideas as this could bring in communities and locals to help preserve their tourist attractions.

Next year, Thailand aims at 25.5 million arrivals - a slight increase from this year's projection - and revenue of Bt1.8 trillion. The number of international tourists is expected to reach 29 million in 2016 and generate overall revenue of Bt2.2 trillion.

Tourism has been accounting for 10 per cent of the economy for years, and Thailand was named the world's best tourist destination in 2013, but many challenges lie ahead.

One of these challenges is tough global competition, since many countries see tourism as a key sector to drive their economies. Moreover, negative images and perceptions that Thailand is a cheap destination need to change. Labour shortages and deterioration of the environment are also considerations.

Opportunities

However, Kobkarn said some opportunities were approaching amid the challenges such as tourism packages catering to the elderly, medical and healthcare tourism, sports training, movie production, and hosting world-class events.

William Heinecke, chairman and chief executive officer of Minor International, said this year's political crisis resulted not only in a big drop in tourist numbers, but business travel and events also plunged. The Europe and United States markets were particularly affected.

He said lifting martial law would help tourism return to normal.

Despite the chaos, however, some super-rich foreigners had continued to come and spend a lot of money in Thailand, he noted.

Panga Vathanakul, managing director of the Royal Cliff Hotels Group, said the political problem had caused tourists to shift to other destinations. MICE (meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions) business also dropped.

She added that Thailand still attracted a lot of visitors, but needed to improve its infrastructure, especially transport systems. Pattaya, for instance, one of the most popular destinations in Thailand since the 1960s, now experiences many problems, including heavy traffic jams.

"Giving intensive training and education about tourism would be a great part of sustainable development," Panga said.

Chanin Donavanik, managing director and CEO of Dusit International, said Thailand was one of the best destinations in the region, but the tourism sector had been disturbed by the political problems.

He added that to drive the sector in the long term, young people should be given real practice and training to understand tourism.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Ministry-unveils-plan-for-sustainable-tourism-grow-30248699.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-28

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to hand it to William Heinecke though, with his "super rich tourists spending a lot of money comment"

Puts my paltry > 2.5 Million baht per annum into the country to shame !! ? I'm sure there's many others here who put even more into the country but don't quite fit into the Thai definition of quality tourist !!

• Like 2

Got to hand it to William Heinecke though, with his "super rich tourists spending a lot of money comment"

Puts my paltry > 2.5 Million baht per annum into the country to shame !! ? I'm sure there's many others here who put even more into the country but don't quite fit into the Thai definition of quality tourist !!

May be he was referring to the bright plugs who paid 2.5 million and 40 million in sinsod.

Though personally, i would not call them super rich, more like super stupid.

I wonder on the honeymoon night, if the groom ran over to 7-11 to get some water as hotel minibar price was little too high

Edited by konying
  • Like 1

There actually a lot more quality tourist coming to Thailand, I was checking with several hotels to book venues with conference or meeting facilities, to my surprise most of these hotels already have booking until June 2015 with incentives, corporate meeting groups from various countries and they already have 80% occupancy from group bookings. I was calling on behalf of a Singapore based IT company with request for 400 - 500 pax group for several tentative dates but unable to get any rooms until June 2015.

So these are the quality corporate group to Thailand for business meetings staying up to 5 days for each group which most of you guys who make comments about tourist may or may not aware of these quality tourist. So Thailand don't need those bad tourist who give a lot of problems. So quality tourist is coming more and more NOT declining.

On the bright side, prices in Pattaya will fall as town would be a ghost town, among many other similar towns.

All in all, a great plan with great future outlook

Prices in the nightlife areas have just had their annual high season rises.......

I will visit town tonight for the firework festival, and I am certainly not expecting a ghost town, more likely traffic jams as I try to drive in.

And people jams as I attempt to move around on foot.

The place would be busier if they made some effort to tidy it up, it is a scruffy dump. Looks okay under the cover of darkness.

• Like 1

"Perceptions that Thailand is a cheap destination needs to change"

A plan of great genius there from the Ministry of Tourism that the can convince more people to come if they think it is more expensive here....

But that 'I hate Thailand' video made Thailand seem so appealing to the floppy haired, back packery student types. What's with all the mixed messages? blink.png

Of course the smart thing to do would be to cater to BOTH markets, budget and luxury, and I guess something in between.

• Like 2

"Next year, Thailand aims at 25.5 million arrivals - a slight increase from this year's projection - and revenue of Bt1.8 trillion. The number of international tourists is expected to reach 29 million in 2016 and generate overall revenue of Bt2.2 trillion."

Forget the figures and targets! Get the place cleaned up and ready for your visitors. Invest in the infrastructure.

IMO, until this happens, they should all be put in a room with crayons and water based paints and be allowed to be creative. They would probably find more realistic paths to follow by doing that than what they have now.

• Like 1

So a country with a population of 65 million expects over a 3rd increase in terms of numbers over a year?

That basically implies that one in three people you see will be a foreigner. I doubt very much 25 million people holiday in Thailand every year. These figures just don't make sense when you see the hoteliers bleating about the lack of numbers in the main tourist hotspots.

A plan of great genius there from the Ministry of Tourism that the can convince more people to come if they think it is more expensive here....

But that 'I hate Thailand' video made Thailand seem so appealing to the floppy haired, back packery student types. What's with all the mixed messages? blink.png

Of course the smart thing to do would be to cater to BOTH markets, budget and luxury, and I guess something in between.

Because the likes of Jungle Jim doesn't like the grungy look or backpacker despite it not even being his country!!

Thailand needs tourists doesn't matter about their social status it's all about what revenue they spend at the end of the day.

People like Jim forget that they're pretty much nobody's in Thailand but think they're somebody!!

• Like 2

On the bright side, prices in Pattaya will fall as town would be a ghost town, among many other similar towns.

All in all, a great plan with great future outlook

Prices in the nightlife areas have just had their annual high season rises.......

I will visit town tonight for the firework festival, and I am certainly not expecting a ghost town, more likely traffic jams as I try to drive in.

And people jams as I attempt to move around on foot.

The place would be busier if they made some effort to tidy it up, it is a scruffy dump. Looks okay under the cover of darkness.

Well if you coming for fireworks festival for 1 day a year, that should be enough to sustain the city for the rest 364 days

If bullshit was dynamite TAT would blow this place apart......

A whole lot of hot air and chest beating "at the conference".......the place is a scruffy dump....rubbish everywhere...scams.......cold blooded murders of tourists...ripoffs...double pricing.....a police force rotten to the core....traffic jams.......sidewalks where you will break your neck or get run over if you are not careful.......front line staff that would rather pick there nose or tap there I-phones.....as you stand patiently in front of them waiting to be served....and the list goes on...........

This guy said it all. They only need to focus on what was said here. Correct these problems and all the over building going on and Thailand will be paradise.

There actually a lot more quality tourist coming to Thailand, I was checking with several hotels to book venues with conference or meeting facilities, to my surprise most of these hotels already have booking until June 2015 with incentives, corporate meeting groups from various countries and they already have 80% occupancy from group bookings. I was calling on behalf of a Singapore based IT company with request for 400 - 500 pax group for several tentative dates but unable to get any rooms until June 2015.

So these are the quality corporate group to Thailand for business meetings staying up to 5 days for each group which most of you guys who make comments about tourist may or may not aware of these quality tourist. So Thailand don't need those bad tourist who give a lot of problems. So quality tourist is coming more and more NOT declining.

Yep, hence the reason for Hiton 50% off sale because they all booked out

Have u called them?? But I know I did. All ballroom is fully book for groups. They allocated certain room for 50% discount which is normal even on high season any where in the world.

That is the 1 thing they can succeed at.biggrin.png

No. Talk to people in the hotel business and you'll hear that they are EXTREMELY anxious. Many 5* properties have been forced to offer mega discounts to groups just to keep occupancy levels reasonable, staff employed and services going. They are not making any money and most profit in previous times has come from 'high end' tourists who do spend high on room rates as well as in house food and beverage. The latter is the sector in decline.

• Like 1