Extension of Stay Based on Marriage....my Bubble is About to Burst.

Have just spent the last 2 hours searching for info, so I apologise in advance if this has been covered previously.

I have obtained "extension of stay based on marriage" successfully for the last 2 years, through Nakhon Pathon Immigration, and done my 90 day reporting at the same place, all without incident.

My current extension of stay is valid until May 2015.

We are trying to sell some land....if we cannot find a buyer before March 2015, I will not be able to abide by the 400k money in the bank requirement for my next extension of stay. I am not working (retired early) and have no means to obtain employment in my previous career.

I am guessing...that I will need to apply for a TM 8 "Application for Re-Entry Permit Into The Kingdom", fly back to Australia, ( stack shelves at Woolies or Coles) until our land is sold (just noticed on the TM8 form it asks for the date you intend to return....that I would not know).

Assuming that I won't be able to get back until some time after March 2015.....what happens with my extension of stay?

Will I need to start from scratch again with a Non-O visa?....or is there some other way for me to get back.

Note: if my bubble does burst, then my wife and I have agreed that she would stay here in Thailand, until I can get back. We are hoping this will never come to fruition, but looking at worse case scenario if we do not find a buyer for our land in time. Causing a lot of stress and depression at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers.

You should check with some of the visa companies.

They can help you, for a fee (20,000 to 30,000 Bt).

Why? As post #2 says and its only 5,000 baht and legal. whistling.gif

I was talking to one gentlemen a few days back in the same situation but not having enough for his retirement visa. He paid a fee to a company who sorted it all out and suddenly had enough funds and got his visa no problem.

Reading your story wish you good luck and hope you sort it out so you dont have to leave.

In whole honesty I think it's impossible to get a "Visa Agency"to handle this, the reason being, unlike retirement extensions the approval of marriage extensions is not up to the local Immigration office, but the head office of the region. That's why the delay of 30 days between applying and approval.

Edit 1: Changed some wording

Edited by MJCM

You should check with some of the visa companies.

They can help you, for a fee (20,000 to 30,000 Bt).

Why? As post #2 says and its only 5,000 baht and le

gal. whistling.gif

I was talking to one gentlemen a few days back in the same situation but not having enough for his retirement visa. He paid a fee to a company who sorted it all out and suddenly had enough funds and got his visa no problem.

Reading your story wish you good luck and hope you sort it out so you dont have to leave.

A counterfeit Dodge O in action..w00t.gif

• Like 1

OK...thanks to all for the swift replies.

So it looks like the answer is to get a multiple entry non-O based on marriage.

So do I just leave the Kingdom as is (no TM8 form)....apply for this multiple entry non-O based on marriage, do my 90 day border runs, then apply for extension of stay again once that visa has expired?

Do I have that right?

Cheers.

edit: how difficult is it to do this in Laos?

Edited by Rsquared

OK...thanks to all for the swift replies.

So it looks like the answer is to get a multiple entry non-O based on marriage.

So do I just leave the Kingdom as is (no TM8 form)....apply for this multiple entry non-O based on marriage, do my 90 day visa runs, then apply for extension of stay again once that visa has expired?

Do I have that right?

Cheers.

You would not have to wait for the visa to expire to do the extension. You could apply for it during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries you get from the visa.

If you don't leave before the extension is due you could get a 60 day extension to visit your wife if you wanted to delay going out for the visa.

• Like 1

OP: Looks like you have the solution to your predicament. However, as an observation, unless you have a good contact at the likes of Woolworhs or Coles you have to apply online and register your interest. I returned from Thailand to Oz & applied online, in six months not one opening for interview in my area.

Upon return I have been diagnosed with a form of cancer - treatable- fairly sure if I was in Thailand it would take a fair chunck of my cash for treatment. Don't want to come across as interfering, but unless you have already done so make sure you have a backup plan if s@#t happens.

• Like 1

Hi RSquared,

Like you, I'm Australian & reside here on a marriage extension.

No need to show any money in the bank...I just visit the Aussie embassy in Bangkok each year, fill in a statutory declaration that I have the minimum funds each month(40k, but check that) to support myself & family, the embassy stamp it, and that's all that's needed for another extension!

Luckily aussies & a few other nations enjoy that ability to use self declared income, so as we say, no worries mate!

Thats good advice barkly...

@Rsquared, good advice from all posters, but the above (barkly) is a option you should investigate more and soon. Your Super should cover that.

I wish you good luck, and hope it goes towards sorting it out for you.

Rgds

weegee

• Like 1

What you could do is get a Multiple Entry Non-O Visa in Savannakhet Laos (based on that your Married to a Thai National).

No need to show funds to get this, but you need to do a Border Run every 90 days instead of going to your local immigration, this will give you an extra 15 months wink.png

Near the end of your 90 day entry you can go to your local Immigration office and get a 60 day extension based on visiting family. So you only need to do a border run every 150 day. The cost of the extension is 1900 Baht.

OP , follow ubons advice. Aside from that...and yes not related to visas, but....You are retired and don't have 40k

...gez that's not a lot of money. I'm not having a crack at you but I personally know a bloke 44 (no funds) has partner here and they have one yr old together. He is now back in AU working for about $25/hr trying to "take care"

It won't work of course. Just interested in the big picture. The visa and extensions is only part of it. I'm thinking easiest part. Good luck BTW.

Hi RSquared,

No need to show any money in the bank...I just visit the Aussie embassy in Bangkok each year, fill in a statutory declaration that I have the minimum funds each month(40k, but check that) to support myself & family, the embassy stamp it, and that's all that's needed for another extension!

Luckily aussies & a few other nations enjoy that ability to use self declared income, so as we say, no worries mate!

Yes good point...I'm AU also....There have been reports on TV of io wishing to see evidence of income when applying for extension. Yes au embassy accept your stat DEC however that in itself not cut it with io.

Also while the OP has not stated his income stream..

(he mentions returning to stack shelves) ...You may be suggesting he do a false stat DEC. That is illegal

i got my visa for 15 months, based on marriage, in savannakhet last year buddy

i did not have the necessary funds to show in the bank, so i traveled up to laos

no problems when i got there, and got the visa the following day after application thumbsup.gif

i got my visa for 15 months, based on marriage, in savannakhet last year buddy

i did not have the necessary funds to show in the bank, so i traveled up to laos

no problems when i got there, and got the visa the following day after application thumbsup.gif

same day issue now

Hi RSquared,

Yes good point...I'm AU also....There have been reports on TV of io wishing to see evidence of income when applying for extension. Yes au embassy accept your stat DEC however that in itself not cut it with io.

Also while the OP has not stated his income stream..

(he mentions returning to stack shelves) ...You may be suggesting he do a false stat DEC. That is illegal

There is no suggestion or even hint from me of doing anything illegal, & the legality issue of falsifying a stat dec would be between yourself & the Australian embassy as indicated on the stat dec form.

Assumption is that if retired, income from Superannuation funds or an Australian govt Pension would normally be more than sufficient to cover the required 40k per mth.

In the IO criteria for consideration & supporting documents for marriage extension, it states the following:

5.3: If earning foreign income, such as pension or social security fund:

Letter of confirmation from the applicants embassy or consulate in Thailand attesting that the applicant recives income from a pension or other earnings of no less than Thb 40,000 per month.

I used to show the 400k in the bank, could also show a work permit, but then its a pain showing taxation documents etc, so the simplest method is the stat dec which is fully legal as I have the Oz income to support it if ever asked, but never have been in several years. Its up to the IO if they want to ask for more evidence.

Just trying to help the OP, but get smacked down as usual, guess that's why I rarely post any more.

Will stick to just reading.

• Like 1

Using an incorrect statement from your embassy is also an offence under Thai law if you use it in Thailand. When you apply for an extension you certify that the docuements and informaiton you give is correct. If found out it was incorrect, they can prosecute you and immigraiton takes false documents very seriously. (That includes false statements).

• Like 1

My current extension of stay is valid until May 2015.

I am guessing...that I will need to apply for a TM 8 "Application for Re-Entry Permit Into The Kingdom", fly back to Australia, ( stack shelves at Woolies or Coles) until our land is sold (just noticed on the TM8 form it asks for the date you intend to return....that I would not know).

Assuming that I won't be able to get back until some time after March 2015.....what happens with my extension of stay?

If you actually mean return in March 2015 and your extension expires in May and you have a re-entry permit, your extension of stay would still be good until May. You would need to be sending money back to your bank account here if your aim is to get the total to Baht 400,000 for the seasoning requirement, but the current extension would still be valid until it expires in May.

Barkley no one is smacking you down. You made good point. Its just that op hasn't stated if he even has a pension or income stream. Just talks about coming back to au and stacking shelves. Good luck with that plan. Living in au and saving money working in Coles. Thinking op needs to get new plan

Edited by jacksam

Not sure on the Subject of married..I am unmarried have a Thai child. My understanding is 400k has to be shown just one time if married (what an immigration officer told me) OR 40k/month income, and that is for married or non married visiting children.

Read up on it. See my attachment.

It is needed for every annual extension not just once. It is only once a year if that is what you mean.

Also the file you posted is an immigration order not the immigration act. There has not been a new immigration act since 1979.