Bangkok Taxi fares will not be increased this month

webfact

Taxi price remains at same rate today

BANGKOK, 1 December 2014 (NNT) – The Bangkok Taxi fares will not be increased this month, while the new rate hike will be officially announced in the government gazette, said an official.

The Director-General of the Department of Land Transport (DLT) Teerapong Rodprasert has revealed that the new taxi fare rate will not come into effect today (1 December 2014), as it has to be approved and announced by the government gazette first.

He said that all taxi cars must pass the quality inspection in order to become eligible for the new price. Currently, the DLT has already inspected 20,000 existing taxi cars.

Taxi cars that have passed the quality test will become eligible for the meter adjustment under the new fare rate. All the procedures will be done within 30 days after the new pricing is officially announced, said the DLT Director-General.

The Director-General of the DLT also mentioned that taxi-like services utilizing private cars and applications such as UBER TAXI have not cooperated with the DLT.

He said that the DLT must consider about issues regarding regulation, fairness and the safety of the services regarding the pubic car services.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-01 footer_n.gif

How is this supposed to work? Is it supposed to work? I thought they were already inspecting taxis. If there has been no taxi inspections to date, why wait until after the increase was to have gone into effect to announce the delay. And if its already started, all the taxis go in for inspection, then once they are all inspected they all go back for a meter adjustment? It doesn't happen at the same time? How are they going to prevent taxis driving around with different meter rates? Or are they not going to?

• Like 1

What is the rate and how much will the new rate be ? Will there be a way of knowing b4 you start the journey that the taxi has been checked?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

As I recall, the last increase featured laminated sheets with adjusted fares hanging over the back of the front seat....until all the meters were updated. That lasted for a good year or more. To be fair, it was about 15 years ago and with 'old tech' meters

Wherever they are applied, price fixing guarantees that either (a) there is an inefficient glut and consumers pay over the odds anyway, or ( b ) there is a shortage of goods.

Exactly which of these are we shooting for again?

Edited by cocopops

How is this supposed to work? Is it supposed to work? I thought they were already inspecting taxis. If there has been no taxi inspections to date, why wait until after the increase was to have gone into effect to announce the delay. And if its already started, all the taxis go in for inspection, then once they are all inspected they all go back for a meter adjustment? It doesn't happen at the same time? How are they going to prevent taxis driving around with different meter rates? Or are they not going to?

The answers are all there in the OP...

"Currently, the DLT has already inspected 20,000 existing taxi cars."

"The Director-General of the Department of Land Transport (DLT) Teerapong Rodprasert has revealed that the new taxi fare rate will not come into effect today (1 December 2014), as it has to be approved and announced by the government gazette first."

"He said that the DLT must consider about issues regarding regulation, fairness and the safety of the services regarding the pubic car services. "

I know just a dumb typo but man did I just burst out my coffee thru my nose cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

They deserve a pay rise I don't think the flagfall has increased since the 70s or something along those lines. But with the pay rise I think everyone wants to expect a better quality of service, fair safe no double pricings turbo meters and no rejecting passengers.

Bangkok Post has a better article. It s not increased yet because it needs government approval and taxis need inspection. IMHO they should just make the increase. IMHO taxis should be inspected every 3 years to ensure they meet standards. That is they are not clapped out, dangerous, suspension broken, comfortable, etc. Been in some pretty ropey Bkk taxis!

The ones who don't have the approved badge yet will just charge the new rate anyway or I'm the queen of Sheba.

The rate charged depends on the sealed meter, not the driver, he can't adjust his own meter, Queenie.

Except for the drivers who have found the means to acquire sealed meters that run fast...