10 Russians, 2 Thai’s injured in Jomtien Road Crash

webfact

10 Russians, 2 Thai’s injured in Jomtien Road Crash

crash-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Late on Monday Night a crash occurred at the Soi Chayapreuk intersection on the Sukhumvit Road involving a Baht Bus, a pick-up and two motorbikes, resulting in 12 people sustaining injuries, two Russians are described as seriously hurt.

Police and medics rushed to the scene of the crash and spoke with the driver of the White Baht Bus which was transporting a group of 10 Russians from South Pattaya to the Ambassador City Hotel in the Na-Jomtien area. Khun Pichai aged 56 described how a White Chevrolet Pick-up slammed into the rear of his Baht Bus, causing his vehicle to hit two motorbikes. The Baht Bus and motorbikes were stationary at the Traffic Lights when the crash occurred.

Khun Pishaert aged 36, was a witness to the crash and saw the Chevrolet pick-up swerving from lane to lane before it struck the Baht Bus.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/157188/10-russians-2-thais-injured-in-jomtien-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-12-02

Doesn't look like the Chevvy took off. From the reports it would appear that he was a drunk driver so they should throw the book at him, lock him up and throw the keys away! They were supposed to be making this stretch of Jomtien Beach Road a one way system. What happened?

This one nothing to do with baht bus overloading, which is a problem. Baht bus was not moving so you assume the pickup truck run into the back, but maybe the most seriously injured could have been standing on the back rail.

Accidents happen, probably more so in Thailand because of poorer driving standards and poor enforcement of the laws concerning speeding or drunken driving,

Though the foreigners who have been stopped may not agree with this comment, its true western countries have cameras everywhere to deal with speeding and have big campaigns on drinking driving.

Hope the people all get better,they were just innocent tourists

• Like 1

I passed the scene last night. It didn't occur on the beach road but on the Sukumvit. I have never seen so many rescue pickups and ambulances in one place. I was overtaken by six of them and when got to the scene there were at least another half dozen. Ten Russians in a Baht bus, judging from the size of russians generally at least two had to be hanging of the back, probably the most seriously injured. I agree limit the passenger numbers, even then Health and safety in European country would have a field day.

This happens all too often. A couple of weeks ago I was stationary in traffic on Pattaya Nua on my scooter when someone slammed into the back of me with their motorbike. By the time I had picked myself and my scooter up and looked around the person that hit me had disappeared into the night air! I appealed to the dozen or so witnesses who were right next to the scene but they just looked at me as though to say "what accident ... I didn't see a thing" ... probably because I am a farang!!! The best thing was that when I was hit my scooter was pushed into the back of the pick-up in front of me. The person driving got out and the first thing they did was check that their pick-up hadn't sustained any damage rather than the damage I had sustained which was a deep cut to my knee, lacerated elbow, and various cuts and grazes to my arm and feet. The compassion overwhelmed me ... NOT!

• Like 2

Doesn't look like the Chevvy took off. From the reports it would appear that he was a drunk driver so they should throw the book at him, lock him up and throw the keys away! They were supposed to be making this stretch of Jomtien Beach Road a one way system. What happened?

not likely to get the book thrown at him. this kind of lunacy happens everyday! thai's don't know how to drive, and drive drunk almost everyday and the police do not do anything about it. when was the last time that you heard of a vehicle being aken away from a drunk driver?

mix a baht bus, a pick up and a couple of motorcycles together in thailand and what do you think is going to happen?!

Some drivers do not need such unsophisticated or simple items such as other vehicles on the road around them to cause a totally disastrous traffic accident, a complete and utter traffic congestion or an environmental disaster.

Edited by AlQaholic

Baht buses are one of the big attractions of Thailand, especially in Pattaya. The tourists love them and almost fight to get to be the hero's standing at the back, it makes their holiday and accidents for Baht busses are relatively rare given the congestion at peak periods. Statistically only one in every 2455 baht busses has a fender bender per agregate daily kilometerage throughout the Chonbury area.

Leave them alone and let people have litte fun, the overloading is part of the holiday. People love to photograph this and take it away as a memory of a fun holiday (possibly alongside a romantic touch of STD for the lucky few).

Are you really looking forward to a traffic camera every 20 yards as in parts of UK, or so many directional and informative signs that you cannot process them even at slow speed - as in the US, with the added attraction of speed cops who want to blow your head off for turning right when you should have gone straight on as it is an alternative Wednesday (Dallas) . It's getting bad enough now the traffic cops have speed cameras on the motorway.

• Like 1

All the vehicles involved in this were going in the same direction, a one-way system wouldn't have made any difference here.

Please refrain from generalisations that are not at all factual.

Some Thais may not drive well and some Thais might drink and drive and police in fact do something about it when people are caught.

petercool - moderator team

You know that you are wasting your breath.

• Like 1

I see idiots every day on the roads.

Always wondered why the police don't exploit this as a money maker?

Could make a 'legitimate' fortune handing out tickets to these morons.

Yep, Yes and YES!

How about stopping baht bus drivers with so many people loaded on them that people are standing between the brake lights & the vehicles behind them?

Ah! Who needs brake lights when you [insert excuse here]?

One could NEVER possibly need brake lights when one is stopping!!!! They're just there to look pretty.

If I were a BIB, I could write 50 tickets a day in Pattaya for this, at say 500 baht fine each = 25,000.

Even if (BIG IF) it went to the police department, and 20 cops a day did it, it would add half a million baht/day for a legitimate safety issue = 15 million baht/month.

Ha! The police force might be able to pay their boys a decent salary if that happened.....AND improve safety.

Even if it went straight into a cop's pocket, it would be fine by me, as long as they only gave out tickets/demanded bribes to actual traffic law-breakers.

No, too much thinking involved "You Tink Too Mutt!"

It might even [GASP!] improve safety and the overall image of Thailand! DUH!

EDIT: - Make it a 2,000 baht fine, same as tossing a cigarette butt on the sidewalk at least, probably 5,000 baht would be more suitable as it involves public transportation.

Edited by petercool
edited slur term

Of course drunk is no excuse, but odds are there were a couple guys standing on the back, in front of/behind the tail lights/brake lights, which I have always found to be terrifying.

I can deal with no turn signals, but no tail lights & no brake lights??????

Standing there blocking the view of the traffic behind you as a passenger???

No thanks!

ALLOWING passengers to do that? STUPID all around.

Baht bus driver, idiot blocking view of vehicle lights of their transport & add in a soaky coming from behind.

What could possibly go wrong?

That's "Safety First" in Thailand for you.

Now that's unusual. The driver of the Chevrolet ran away from the scene of the accident.

What is not unusual is a lack of compassion for the injured.

I hope they all recover and make it back home safely

You don't get the Irony....from MickGC.....!?!?!?!

• Like 1

Bad intersection that one

many people run the lights

and its always choked with cars, bike, food carts.

Many go straight ahead from the left turn lane

Many double park on the corner and so you need to go around them - thus going into another lane

Plenty of cameras there - but are they working?

• Like 1