Anti-mine protest leader shot dead in Nakhon Si Thammarat

webfact

Anti-mine protest leader shot dead
Krisana Tiwatsirikul
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The leader of protests against a barite mining operation was shot dead in Nakhon Si Thammarat's Nopphitam district on Sunday night, police said.

Pithan Thongpanang, 45, was shot two times - once in the head and once in the body - in Tambon Krung Ching, Police General Alonkorn Simawut said.

Alonkorn said the motive for the shooting was not yet known but he suspected the attack stemmed from either the protest over a mining operation in Tambon Krung Ching or a personal conflict.

He said no one witnessed the shooting and heavy rain would have washed away any evidence.

A relative of Pithan said the victim was travelling from his home to meet other residents affected by the mine when he was gunned down.

Told to make way for talks

Pithan had been told by a government agency to suspend the protest so negotiations could take place, the relative said.

He had spoken with a representative from the Lawyers Council of Thailand to join a negotiation meeting with the agency on December 9.

In January, the Lawyers Council of Thailand and Tambon Krung Ching residents in Nopphitam district sued state agencies at Nakhon Si Thammarat Administrative Court in an attempt to scrap a barite mine concession.

The 55-strong group feared mining activities would affect five villages.

Defendants included the provincial industry office, the Department of Primary Industries and Mines director-general, the provincial governor, the provincial health office, the Tambon Krung Ching Administrative Organisation president and the Pollution Control Department.

Besides requesting the issuance of an injunction to suspend all mining, the plaintiffs asked the court to cancel the concession the agencies had granted to a company to mine a 523-rai plot.

They urged the Pollution Control Department to rehabilitate the environment, especially water sources in the affected villages.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Anti-mine-protest-leader-shot-dead-30248987.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-02

"Alonkorn said the motive for the shooting was not yet known but he suspected the attack stemmed from either the protest over a mining operation in Tambon Krung Ching or a personal conflict.

He said no one witnessed the shooting and heavy rain would have washed away any evidence."

How ruddy convenient, as stated by the Tambon Police General. bah.gif

Wouldn't it be for forensics to decide if the rain washed away any evidence? facepalm.gif

• Like 1

And what will our glorious leader do about it?

SWEET F ALL!!!

Can you imagine the national outrage a case like this would provoke in the UK or US?

Over here it's just another in a line of environmental protest linked murders

Disgraceful

I doubt it has much to do with the "glorious leader", but do you remember Karen Silkwood, a little more subtle than the way things get done in Thailand, but it doesn't pay to cross big money anywhere in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Silkwood

• Like 2

Very much sounds like a warning to all the other protesters, back off or it more of the same for you as well.

RIP the victim.

The police say after rain all the evidence would be gone, hmmm, so depending on the gun used, wouldn't the ejected shell case have finger prints on them, not so ez washed away I wonder?

What is it with the people in the south?, It's not just me as I've spoken with a lot of people that feel the same, seems to be full of low lives out for anything they can get and if they have to kill you then that's no problem, don't get me wrong plenty of low lives in the north as well just seems the % is higher the more south you go, yet they proclaim their superiority over the people in the north, ie, the beer Singer <deleted> who loves the sound of her own voice, and the former miss Thailand comments all northerners should be shot, the BIB's currently being investigated for corruption, the BIB in charge of the Kho Tao murders, claiming there's no mafia in Kho Tao and three weeks later Suthep pins a medal on him for his most excellent work, and were do most of these crocked politicians come from? the south.

Maybe I could do an experiment, for one month list any shootings, bashings, thefts, and corruption reports and note where these people come from.

<snip>

What is it with the people in the south?, It's not just me as I've spoken with a lot of people that feel the same, seems to be full of low lives out for anything they can get and if they have to kill you then that's no problem, don't get me wrong plenty of low lives in the north as well just seems the % is higher the more south you go, yet they proclaim their superiority over the people in the north, ie, the beer Singer <deleted> who loves the sound of her own voice, and the former miss Thailand comments all northerners should be shot, the BIB's currently being investigated for corruption, the BIB in charge of the Kho Tao murders, claiming there's no mafia in Kho Tao and three weeks later Suthep pins a medal on him for his most excellent work, and were do most of these crocked politicians come from? the south.

Maybe I could do an experiment, for one month list any shootings, bashings, thefts, and corruption reports and note where these people come from.

Ridiculous.

The South is full of low-lives, as is the North and Centre.

But the reason you and I are posting here is because we like it here. I don't know about you, but my experience is that places like Australia are also full of low-lives.

• Like 2

"Alonkorn said the motive for the shooting was not yet known but he suspected the attack stemmed from either the protest over a mining operation in Tambon Krung Ching or a personal conflict."

Somehow, I doubt that it was the result of road ragewhistling.gif

This kind of end to a protestor's life is not uncommon...happens in many places of the world...where big business is loosing money due to local people refusing to let them operate...

Most often paid goons come in from out of town to confront and even kill the protestors to stop the protest and return the business to full operation...

Big business seldom negotiates in good faith...

• Like 1

Good people,trying to do good things,against big business or

influential people in Thailand don't last long,the easiest way

to solve the problem and keep people quiet, is just to eliminate

them,without much fear of the masterminds behind the assassinations

ever been brought to book.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand, the Wild West of SE Asia.

doubt thailand ever going to be the country it once was, land of smile, has turned to be land off money, sick buffalo and crime. rip thailand, possibly the next new land of smile will be laos

Get used to it- according to the often praised high moral standards life is cheap over here and always affordable for the "influential untouchables."

“In a country where talent and virtue produce no advancement, money will be the national god..."

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

'He said no one witnessed the shooting and heavy rain would have washed away any evidence.

A relative of Pithan said the victim was travelling from his home to meet other residents affected by the mine when he was gunned down.'

Sounds like a well informed hit?

If this Government tells you to do something, and you don't listen; what message does it send the remaining protestors?

The problem here is intimidation, which has been carried out by people that can only profit by criminal activities, like so many times in the past when a huge illegal activity is about to be exposed then sure enough an assassination will take place as a warning to others. The warning is carried out and spreads very quickly by the press.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

And what will our glorious leader do about it?

SWEET F ALL!!!

Can you imagine the national outrage a case like this would provoke in the UK or US?

Over here it's just another in a line of environmental protest linked murders

Disgraceful

I doubt it has much to do with the "glorious leader", but do you remember Karen Silkwood, a little more subtle than the way things get done in Thailand, but it doesn't pay to cross big money anywhere in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Silkwood

Just a thought but I would think it has a lot to do with the current PM, the Junta and indeed martial law. By saying and doing absolutely nothing he is sending a clear message about what can happen if you decide to go against the grain and protest about stuff.....