In Thailand, does Money make you Happy?

David48

In Thailand, does Money make you Happy?

quote-you-can-never-be-too-rich-or-too-t

(sorry, I couldn't find a smaller one).

Setting aside the 'thin question' ... can you ever be too rich for Thailand?

I reckon some of the jewels to be enjoyed in Thailand can be had for little, or no Money.

We all need the basics.

Money for the home repayments, if you have a loan.

Ditto for a car.

Usual bills for the household, same for the kids.

Take care of the Medical Insurance and the Outlaws a little bit.

Annual Holiday, plus a few week-ends away.

Apart from that, it's discretionary spending.

I don't need a lot.

Do you think that if you have heaps of money ... which you will spend ... it's only human nature ... you miss out on some the lower level things which you can enjoy in Thailand?

Just a thought ... what are yours?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its nice to have money in the bank, we all know that to take the worry of any bills away,

but i dont think money can make you that happy,

im like the other fathers on here,i get joy from plaing with the kids,

i bought them a 3x1.5mtr pool the joy that cheap thing as brought is great, yes i go in it too with them,

so its money in the bank stops worries,

enjoyment in life is free, when you have kids and a great wife,,

you know this david, with your gtreat boys

• Like 2

I was laying on a bed in the ICU hooked up to all sorts of gages and instruments and the doctor asked my wife, "who will pay? She said, she would pay, no problem and to begin the treatment."

So money helps. It helped me stay alive.

Yep, no money no honey.

ill let you into a little secret,,,

life isnt just about honey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and take it from me some honey is very bitter

Yes it is, it could be rent honey, part time honey and permanent honey. It requires money to have one.

If not all three!

Yep, no money no honey.

Yes it is, it could be rent honey, part time honey and permanent honey. It requires money to have one.

If not all three!

A friend of mine died this year. He had three children. His mia noi moved in with his wife to take care of the kids. This is an interesting country.

• Like 2

I think Mr. David isn't living up to his true potential as a writer.

When I was working for the government ... part of my job was to write the speeches for the Pollies.

Not at the highest level ... but an insight nevertheless.

Before that, I used to write brief ads ... much more commercial ... but taught me the basics.

All I encourage is original thinking.

There a number of guys here who would run rings around me for intelligence and creative missives.

Genuinely, they are a joy to read.

TV is really a place which can bring the best (and worst) out of people.

Tips for writing.

Have something to say.

Say it well.

Original thoughts.

Speak from the heart.

People have a in-built bull-shit meter ... it works.

Write ... then shut up ... let the other guys have a say.

THM ... thanks for the comment, it's warmly appreciated ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Yep, no money no honey.

If not all three!

A friend of mine died this year. He had three children. His mia noi moved in with his wife to take care of the kids. This is an interesting country.

It is not just in Thailand. Have you seen polygamy in US? Also have you seen the show "Sister Wives"?

That would really make a good story.

I warmly encourage you, when you have the time, to write that.

For sure, it would make an interesting read.

Living with an extended Thai Family ... I've seen a lot ... but I've never experienced that!

Do you think that if you have heaps of money ... which you will spend ... it's only human nature ...

they make it very difficult to spend money in thailand what with not being able to buy land/house, neigh impossible to get a drivers license so car is very difficult too.

some of the most beautiful girls were around when youth was much more on side than money but that could also be a changing of the seasons.

Edited by emass spomgiform

That would really make a good story.

I warmly encourage you, when you have the time, to write that.

For sure, it would make an interesting read.

Living with an extended Thai Family ... I've seen a lot ... but I've never experienced that!

They took photos at the funeral. It was quiet something to see. I'll keep track and see how long it lasts.

I hope for the kids sake it all works out.

Many things in Thailand are revolving around money, so it's good to have a lot of it.

Having said that, Thailand was reasonable cheap 10 years ago and is becoming rapidly expensive.

Depending on circumstances Europe can already be cheaper to live.

Some examples:

The houses are not so cheap anymore, but the interest on a mortgage is 3 times as high as in Europe and so is the interest on car loans etc. And hardly an tax deduction.

Normal priced cars are consuming like crazy, economic cars are much more expensive the in Europe.

Kids in international or bi-lingual schools, with term fees increasing 5 to 10% per year cost a fortune and there is no child support from the government.

Food in the market or supermarket is now approaching European levels.

And if I look at my lunch in a simple restaurant, fried rice with a fried egg that went from 40 to 50 Baht in this year, so did my bottle of Beer Chang and my cold coffee on the way to work. All daily things that went up with 25% in 1 year make me not so certain if we can afford to live here for many more years.

My brother in Europe spends much less on a family of the same size and even older kids.

Many things in Thailand are revolving around money, so it's good to have a lot of it.

Having said that, Thailand was reasonable cheap 10 years ago and is becoming rapidly expensive.

Depending on circumstances Europe can already be cheaper to live.

Some examples:

The houses are not so cheap anymore, but the interest on a mortgage is 3 times as high as in Europe and so is the interest on car loans etc. And hardly an tax deduction.

Normal priced cars are consuming like crazy, economic cars are much more expensive the in Europe.

Kids in international or bi-lingual schools, with term fees increasing 5 to 10% per year cost a fortune and there is no child support from the government.

Food in the market or supermarket is now approaching European levels.

And if I look at my lunch in a simple restaurant, fried rice with a fried egg that went from 40 to 50 Baht in this year, so did my bottle of Beer Chang and my cold coffee on the way to work. All daily things that went up with 25% in 1 year make me not so certain if we can afford to live here for many more years.

My brother in Europe spends much less on a family of the same size and even older kids.

Average home, 2000 sq foot Europe minus average home 2000 sq foot Thailand and divide the balance by 20 years and tell me how much you save per year?

OP....your boys are babies....kids cost very little. However there exists an equation.

C = 3x age^2....read as cost equals three times age squared.

We will make the age domain [0, 26years]

If you had twin girls the 3 can be replaced by a 5.

David enjoy your life. The financial sh#t storm awaits.

Edited by jacksam