Have to reverse into parking lots.

Eaglekott

Hi

What is it with Thai people and a must to park your car with the front head "out" of the parking lots?

Usually it is much easier to drive forward into a parking lot than backing the car into the lot. When you wanna leave there is much more room to back out the car from the lot than you had space while revering into it.

Anyway, today I came with our car to our condo and they are doing some renovation work in the garage space, There were a lot of equipment, double parked cars, and cars pushed out from the lots into the drive way since they asked everyone to park the car in "neutral". The only space available unless I parked on the covered plastic was rather far in the garage, and it was so easy to just drive the car with the front first to park it.

Then the guard come spoke a lot to me in an none understandable language (Thai), and at first I thought he wanted me to move the car to the other side where they just took the plastic away. But what he did was directing me back and forth in that tiny space where the car barley could turn and so i reversed into the same spot again. I tried to ask why I needed to have the car that way, but he just pointed on the front on the car beside and made some chum chum noises and gesticulated with his arms.

Everywhere people is reversing into parking lots even if its easier to drive front first. Why?

In European countries only police and ambulance is revering in a lot so they can save a few seconds in an emergency, but why here?

Any ideas?

I always reverse in, for the simple reason that it is possible to see oncoming unparked cars more easily both when entering and exiting the space. I was also taught to do so when learning, in a European country as it happens, so it's second nature.

So long as you know how to use mirrors and can infer wheel alignment using the steering wheel position, it's really not that tricky to do.. only time I'll go in front first is when there's a double end to end space, so I'm still driving out front first.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

The one's that do it on one way aisles with angled parking space are the ones that get me. They usually enter from the next aisle but when they exit they are going the wrong way and guess what, a giant traffic jam! Or the ones that park in front of you in the "movable lane" and lock their cars with the parking brake on!

I won't be rude. If you haven't grasped the fact that it is less dangerous to move back out into the traffic stream facing forwards then maybe you should reflect on the difference between ' easy' and 'sensible'.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi

Sorry I was not clear enough, I ment in Parking garages, like under a condo building where there is no drive through traffic. And in my case they were renovating walls, fasade and garage ceiling and cars was pushed out in the parking lot and there were almost no space to turn the car around, It was close to the concrete wall by the end of the garage. But still the guard wanted me to turn the car around, and to do that I had to go forward and reverse about 5-6 times, around cars in the drive way and equipment and plastic sheets used by the construction workers , the guard had to move a dubble parked car twice, first to let me drive in to where the free spot was, and then to make space for me to turn around. He also needed to push back a car moved out from the lot on the other side and take away a plastic sheet.

None of his extra work had been necessary if he just had let me leave the car in the spot front first.

The free parking log was one parking lot away from the concrete wall so there simply can not be a traffic stream.

Normally its no problem at all to reverse park and I do that all the time everywhere.

I repeat the question and rephrase it a bit.

Why they want to to reverse in to parking lots even IF IT IS EASIER TO DRIVE FORWARD? By this I don't mean in normal cases along a road or in a parking close to a super market. I mean in cases where its troublesome to turn the car around to reverse it in the parking lot.

Edited by Eaglekott
  • Like 1

I think it days it all about the op when he mentions the non understandable language spoken here.

That and the 'chum chum noises'...

When I mentioned non understandable language... Irony that was.. and a way to tell I do not under stand Thai. I thought that was obvious.

Chum chum, was the closest I could come up with, he sounded something like in between Wroom and schocsh, when he gesticulated with his arms. I didn't speak anything. Just made that sound. Sorry I was not clear enough regarding that also.

I think it days it all about the op when he mentions the non understandable language spoken here.

That and the 'chum chum noises'...

When I mentioned non understandable language... Irony that was.. and a way to tell I do not under stand Thai. I thought that was obvious.

Chum chum, was the closest I could come up with, he sounded something like in between Wroom and schocsh, when he gesticulated with his arms. I didn't speak anything. Just made that sound. Sorry I was not clear enough regarding that also.

No worries, I think you were clear, totally clear.

Personally I have always reversed parked, as said much safer to poke ones nose out into oncoming traffic as opposed to ones derriere.

See and be seen solves the problems before they start.

Edited by siampolee

may I suggest you travel to some other countries in Asia and you see in some that they reverse into parking lots nearly at 100% of time. I think Thailand is about 50/50.

I'm not sure where you are from but maybe in your country everyone parks forward hence why you find it weird?

must admit back in the home country i never backed in. Here I do in enclosed parking lots but not when outside like at a Tesco.

Why, generally the malls are alot fuller when I leave the mall than when I arrive and it's easier to just pull out with my truck.

St shopping malls they often have angled spaces, making reversing non sensical.

Good point I don't reverse into those ones.

I think my thought process goes a bit like this:

1 - Is the space angled and reflex to my direction of travel? - Drive in front first

2 - Is the space at a right angle? - Reverse in

3 - Is the space angled and acute to my direction of travel?

- A - Are all the other cars coming toward me? - Stop immediately, turn around and drive the right way round the car park.

- B - Curse the planners, reverse in

Scintillating, I know

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Forward parking risks scratching your front spoiler on any super-high curbs or those concrete sleepers here. Reverse parking cameras don't help detect those when forward parking.

And reversing in over that concrete block, then load your car with heavy stuff from the supermarket, and then drive away you might leave your rear spoiler at the parking lot. The sister of my friend did this not so long time ago. Ok. it was not left there but it came loose from the car and was destroyed. Many people seems to revere in to the lot until they feel the back tires touching that block. Not everyone has a reverse parking camera. Those things does not need to be that high a few cm is enough.

Forward parking risks scratching your front spoiler on any super-high curbs or those concrete sleepers here. Reverse parking cameras don't help detect those when forward parking.

And reversing in over that concrete block, then load your car with heavy stuff from the supermarket, and then drive away you might leave your rear spoiler at the parking lot. The sister of my friend did this not so long time ago. Ok. it was not left there but it came loose from the car and was destroyed. Many people seems to revere in to the lot until they feel the back tires touching that block. Not everyone has a reverse parking camera. Those things does not need to be that high a few cm is enough.

yet another reason to drive a truck :)