Prayut orders all government facilities to have access for wheelchair people

Lite Beer

Prayut orders all government facilities to have access for wheelchair people

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he has instructed all government facilities to be accessible to the handicapped and those who require supporting equipment.

During his weekly TV programme, Prayut said all government facitiies must assure that social equality is upheld and fundamental rights are protected.

"These facilities and services include mass transit, public restrooms, and other places that need ramps for people who travel in wheelchairs. These ramps must not be too steep so that the disabled can help themselves. Ramps must also connect places in the facility, so that people in wheelchairs can have equal access to things they need," Prayut said.

He said Koh Kret, one of the most famous tourism sites in Nonthaburi, has been developed as a pilot project of the creation of Universal Design Community Mode. The project has been carried out with help from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, the Ministry of Transport, Chulalongkorn University, Pak Kret Municipality, and members of Pak Kret community.

He said the Koh Kret model "is to promote the convenience and safety of the handicapped and those who require supporting equipment to go about daily life".

" The definition includes the elderly, recovering patients, veterans, young children, pregnant women and even ladies in high heels and short skirts. They will be able to leave home and carry out activities conveniently and safety, able to roam freely and independently without requiring the assistance of those around them," Prayut said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-orders-all-government-facilities-to-have-ac-30249264.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-06

This is almost 2015 and the government is just now making their facilities available to the handicap. Now do something about the HiSo's and the lazy scum bags who park in handicap parking. A few thousand baht fine would help also with 10% commission to the police officer wh ticket them.

"The definition includes the elderly, recovering patients, veterans, young children, pregnant women and even ladies in high heels and short skirts. They will be able to leave home and carry out activities conveniently and safety, able to roam freely and independently without requiring the assistance of those around them," Prayut said.

Does this include the disabled who want to wear a thong in a wheelchair near to the beach, to get a tan? whistling.gif

• Like 1

The building code needs to be enforced. Another problem is that many companies have followed the law and have gone even further and provide parking for handicapped, but these parking places are taken up by uncaring selfish people that do not respect their fellow citizens. The security guards are afraid of doing anything, because they do not want a confrontation. This would be a good case for wheel locks. coffee1.gif

A positive step forward to help the handicapped and all you can come with is an inane, anti-Prayuth comment. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1LoERDvI-NyM

Oh! I see that was you first post. Congratulations. What did you get banned for last time? Excessive use of the word 'inane' or tediously repetitive insertions of stupid little pictures at the end of each post?

Edited by Zooheekock

An interesting tidbit I found (read the last bit first): "The Building Control Act was developed in 1975 and has been updated as necessary, most recently in

2006. There is no required time period to update the regulations.....The regulations and acts are both technical and enforcement documents,
and there is no code used in Thailand."
Oh, there's more to laugh at:
"The Energy Conservation Promotion Act (1992) is a mandatory energy efficiency code..... It is mandatory for all new construction; existing buildings were given three years to update and comply with the code by using 55 watts per square meter of floor area or less.
Um, not one BKK mall meets this standard...where have the compliance officers been since 1992?? Maybe the same absentee enforcers will be absent when the disabled need a ramp at immigration.....

Good move, really appreciated.

I hope next move would be ordering Thai home owners nationwide

(especially in moo baan) to stop turning the place into a disaster zone.

Order them to do some basic maintenance, clean up, paint the house and front gate, including the vacant ones. Cut the overgrown plants because there is a risk for disease, molds and pest infestations. Order them to care for the community , not just themselves.

Send out health inspectors to check and see who are those that fail to comply.

Fine them big time.

Edited by doremifasol

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he has instructed all government facilities to be accessible to the handicapped and those who require supporting equipment."

Obviously the streets aren't considered to be a government facility. Once you depart from the bus or leave the building, you are on your own.

attachicon.gifBlockedSidewalk-449x304.jpg

Swampy has fantastic disabled services but once you walkout the airport doors you are pretty much screwed.

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he has instructed all government facilities to be accessible to the handicapped and those who require supporting equipment."

Obviously the streets aren't considered to be a government facility. Once you depart from the bus or leave the building, you are on your own.

Swampy has fantastic disabled services but once you walkout the airport doors you are pretty much screwed.

Yes, exactly. Having wheelchair access to all government offices would be great but it's not much use if you have to negotiate hundreds of 6-inch-high curbs, blocked walkways, aggressive dogs, and Himalayan paving stones on the way there. I really hope the government do this but you can't help but worry that it is motivated more by a desire to be seen to do the right thing than actually to do the right thing. Does anyone think that Prayuth and his advisers have been sitting in meetings with civic groups representing people with mobility problems, carefully considering their advice and challenging their own preconceptions about mobility access? It's a bit hard to imagine. Sadly, I suspect that this will added to the ever-growing list of Friday night talk which goes nowhere.

• Like 2

The road to hell, they say, is paved with good intentions - but at least under the current Prime Minister the road is getting ramps for wheelchairs.

Thailand's transitional Prime Minister reminds one of an earlier, English puritan who sought to stamp out endemic corruption and immorality from his beloved country.

One can only wish General Prayuth more luck than Oliver Cromwell, who died a hero but who later became so reviled that his body was later dug up, beheaded and the remains hung in chains.

• Like 1

Absolutely. My mother comes to visit once a year. Pattaya is fairly devoid of pavements (sidewalks). I did consider a wheelchair to help her get around but when I surveyed the area it was obviously a bad idea. What pavements there are, are often obstructed by motorcycles, shops etc and the surfaces usually broken and uneven. The only way to get her around is by car unfortunately.

Yes all you folks praising our Military leader for a pronouncement. Will it happen? my arse it will, just another "happy" pronouncement that will certainly come to nothing just like all the others. And YES I am BLOODY WELL disabled, reliant on getting around in a wheelchair. It's almost impossible, stairs , kerbs, obstacles everywhere. I know of just a couple of Government buildings that have ramps, do I expect that any monies will be allocated to improve my lot and those like me? None of us disabled are holding our breath.

• Like 2