Is it really alright to eat topless in a restaurant?

Can't believe this thread rambled on so much. If you frequent BK you are no better than the topless scum you decry. Start cooking healthy food instead of poisoning your body with the junk we are pushing down the throats of the unwashed to induce coronary collapse

This is a tropical country of Thailand and people have traditionally going around shirtless! So, naturally I have been brought up in this environment and shirtless is nothing strange. Maybe you should open your freaking eyes and look around in what freaking country you live in right now??? See any snow?

This is also about freaking BK and not fine dining or in an aircraft, so your comparison is moot. Nobody is conducting any "official business" at a freaking BK joint.

And what the xxxxxx hell does my parent's has to do anything with this?

I had parents as much as you had one.

Traditional Thai style is to always wear a shirt. Thais frown upon young Thai boys who run around and drive motorbikes w/o shirts.

How many years make up a "Traditional Thai style"? From Wikipedia:

In Thailand, the government of Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram issued a series of cultural standards between 1939 and 1942. Mandate 10 issued on September 8, 1941 instructed Thai people to not appear in public places "without being appropriately dressed". Inappropriate dress included "wearing no shirt or wearing a wraparound cloth."[9][10] Before the westernization of dress, Thai women were depicted both fully clothed and topless in public. Until the early 20th century, women from northern Thailand wore a long tube-skirt (Pha-Sin), tied high above their waist and below their breasts, which were uncovered.[11] In the late 19th century the influence of missionaries and modernization under King Chulalongkorn encouraged local women to cover their breasts with blouses.

Yes, but this is tropical island of Samui and in a burger joint where the average clientele aren't really "high class", nor is the food, it's really not a big deal.

If you notice, for example uniforms on many places, like AIS center etc, they all wear shorts, which elsewhere in the country would not be acceptable. But this is a tropical island famous for its tourist industry, so the "standards" are a bit different than elsewhere.

If you don't like it, then move elsewhere.

I noticed in the other thread with old pics from Samui, and I'm pretty sure most farangs way back then were shirtless too. But of course there where no burger fast food joint back then. But I'm sure there were farangs eating shirtless at the Thai cheap charlie restaurants.

Maybe it's not the shirtless tourists which are new, but these tourists with "high standards" complaining about things which has been going on for a long time.

I also find shirtless diners unhygenic and low class in their behavior. At the same time, I strongly support you Mole, in exppressing your point of view, especially against the kind of personal attacks shown here.

• Like 1

This is a tropical country of Thailand and people have traditionally going around shirtless! So, naturally I have been brought up in this environment and shirtless is nothing strange. Maybe you should open your freaking eyes and look around in what freaking country you live in right now??? See any snow?

This is also about freaking BK and not fine dining or in an aircraft, so your comparison is moot. Nobody is conducting any "official business" at a freaking BK joint.

Traditional Thai style is to always wear a shirt. Thais frown upon young Thai boys who run around and drive motorbikes w/o shirts.

How many years make up a "Traditional Thai style"? From Wikipedia:

In Thailand, the government of Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram issued a series of cultural standards between 1939 and 1942. Mandate 10 issued on September 8, 1941 instructed Thai people to not appear in public places "without being appropriately dressed". Inappropriate dress included "wearing no shirt or wearing a wraparound cloth."[9][10] Before the westernization of dress, Thai women were depicted both fully clothed and topless in public. Until the early 20th century, women from northern Thailand wore a long tube-skirt (Pha-Sin), tied high above their waist and below their breasts, which were uncovered.[11] In the late 19th century the influence of missionaries and modernization under King Chulalongkorn encouraged local women to cover their breasts with blouses.

I find Thai people to be very conscious of bathing and have never noticed body odor from them in a public place. I don't however, enjoy the frequent sight of local Thai men walking around with their shirts pulled up over their pot bellies. My impression is that this is not something I see around Chiang Mai. However, it is their country and I don't feel I have any standing to say how they should dress.

I go to the gym regularly and sometimes I get some food on the way to getting a mc taxi, but I walk past a temple and with tattoos on my arms I feel a bit self conscious, like I'm a bit underdressed.

I've seen thai guys in 711 in tanks so I guess it's all good. But a restaurant?

If you were a foreigner I think it would be very disrespectful to local culture, and generally being un kemp or un shaven would seem a bit out of place also. Depending on the area and if it were like a side soi restaurant thai style I think the Thais would be pretty casual.

• Like 1

I'm so tired atm, that I actually thought that the OP was about whether it is actually permissible to eat in a topless restaurant giggle.gif

To the real OP - I'd say a cliché like that `when in Rome`. The culture is quite conservative, so you should be respectful of the culture and people. Take a note how locals go by, and imitate :)

If the topless offender had been a young nubile lass there would be a lot less righteous indignation.

OP didn´t give any clue over if it was, as far as I can see...

But I recall the old bar sign "Men without shirt, no service, ladies without shirt, no charge!"

I also recall one young Swedish and very siliconised lady having her breakfast topless at a Chaweng beach restaurant some years ago...

• Like 1

For shirtless diners you should always plonk a bottle of HP brown sauce loudly on the table before taking their order.

Unless they are Russian....then vodka shots are mandatory.

If they are Israeli four straws and a small bottle of water is sufficient.

• Like 2

Can't believe this thread rambled on so much. If you frequent BK you are no better than the topless scum you decry. Start cooking healthy food instead of poisoning your body with the junk we are pushing down the throats of the unwashed to induce coronary collapse

Assuming you either drink or smoke you're hardly in a position to lecture anyone else.

Back on topic; Shirtless, Shoeless or fag in gob isn't acceptable anywhere in the west therefore is monumentally disrespectful by anyone 'trying it on' here.

• Like 2

Not a restaurant, but this weekend a well known electric appliances store in Pattaya had their promotions days.

Standing room only for 3 days, with dancers, shows, lucky draws and much more.

Went in at around 7pm, as I said standing room only, in the middle of the place right in front of the stage is a foreigner with his GF, I reckon him about 60 years old and close to 100kg.

He's wearing a jeans cut off to shorts.

No problem, wasn't it that those shorts were the only thing he wore, other than his flip flops.facepalm.gif

Not a restaurant, but this weekend a well known electric appliances store in Pattaya had their promotions days.

Went in at around 7pm, as I said standing room only, in the middle of the place right in front of the stage is a foreigner with his GF, I reckon him about 60 years old and close to 100kg.

No problem, wasn't it that those shorts were the only thing he wore, other than his flip flops.facepalm.gif

That is a definite post-4641-1156693976.gif to that man.

That is a definite post-4641-1156693976.gif to that man.

That are exactly my thoughts as well.

I would have thought that anyone with a grain of common sense, would not mix between hundreds of well dressed up people wearing a poor excuse for shorts as only attire, with the belly hanging over the waistband.

Bull. I live in Pattaya and I've never seen a shirtless Thai inside an eating place. You had parents but were they at all clean?

Well, BK is not the Marriot ot Hilton, but all the same, who wants to eat while looking a some fat sob with a beer gut hanging over his pants and mouth hanging open???

Just a sidebar.....it was getting so bad at the Hilton a few clicks back with the Russians coming to the buffet in all sorts of undress that they printed out a dress code....worked like a charm although it still looks like a clown convention on most Fridays....lol. :-(