Alcohol beverages ban during New Year and Songkran triggers outcry

webfact

They never learn do they?

In my observations (I may be wrong) Thai drivers do not hesitate to drink before driving at any time, be it holidays or just a short weekend at the beach. Observing from the number of accidents and causes, a very large part of accidents at any time in Thailand (not only during holidays) is caused by drunk driving, mostly by motorcycle drivers. Another part of the equation is the careless driving without any knowledge of basic traffic rules or common sense.

So the increase in road accidents during the holidays is because the number of idiot drunk drivers are tremendously more than usual on the roads. I have not analyzed the statistics, but I am almost certain that the ratio between accidents and number of vehicles on the roads are basically the same as at any other time of the year, be it holiday or not.

So to ban the sale of alcohol during the holidays will not have any effect on the number of accidents, same as banning the sale of alcohol between 11:00 and 14:00 every day is completely meaningless.

I thought that Thailand already had a law against driving drunk, why not enforce that law instead of coming up with these @#$@#% ideas?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

May i suggest that it is not the drinking of alcohol that is the problem, it is the driving home while drunk that causes the problem and road carnage that happens every year. As the majority of the Police force will be out partying themselves , getting drunk and driving home maybe they should make the entire Police force work instead checking the roads and stopping drunk drivers. More overtime for the Police , less accidents and big business for taxi,s who will reward the Police for the extra work, a win win situation.

Ha.. Again what a bunch of skull heads. If they want to reduce road accidents, they should start investing more on safety roads, enforce the law, harsher laws for drinking and driving, make sure people " have obtained their driving license legitimately", and change the driving test so that it's hard to pass. In which, it will prevent no brainers being on roads

I think I read somewhere they did make the driver tests much harder a while back (this year I think). The first day all drivers failed the test so they went back to the old test again I think, because I did not hear anything more about it after that.

If the goal is to avoid road killing, why not....enforce the law???

Could not agree with you more, Last Songkran in Khon Kaen a friend was driving and a drunk drove in to the back of him when stopped at traffic lights. Police who were standing near just laughed when the drunk driver staggered out of his pick up and then got back in and drove off weaving all over the road

IIRC, wasn't the original announcement a ban on drinking in public, and nothing to do with sales?

It was unclear from the original poorly written article but that didn't stop several cock-sure TV posters from lambasting anyone who thought it covered sales and was not merely a ban on drinking in public. Turns out it's the exact opposite. It's a ban on sales but "there is nothing to stop" drinking in public with previously bought beer.

C'mon now ... There is a difference between drinking alcohol during a holiday season and drinking and driving. The latter requires law enforcement and harsh penalties to be imposed by the courts. Well, we all know how that goes.

This makes headlines for Dr. Ratchata but I am not sure why he is doing this. Politics I suppose.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

affect tourism ?

so people come here for the excellent quality of thai beers & liquors ?

not for the temples ?

Better believe it................................wink.png

Should get out a bit more.......................tongue.png

But it is also argued that the major cause of road mishaps that claimed high casualties during festive season is drunk driving.

...then there is that old argument about the police enforcing existing traffic laws, vehicle operation standards and a driver's license that can't be bought, then maybe (and I am going out on a limb here) just maybe there will be lower casualties rates through out the whole year...but that's just too much work, huh?...much easier to just ban the booze, yup!

Alternatively just go to a police-owned club/pub, definitely no booze control

• Like 1

Boxclever post # 10

I think it's a good idea. Get's rid of all the undesirable drunks with one stroke of a pen. Imagine how many pimp bars would close down over night. Bring it on I say smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqNPM4cy2e

Ease off my good man.where are the Hi So's going to be able to congregate if their venues are closed..blink.png

What will happen to the good Mr Chalerm if alcohol sales are stopped?w00t.gif

Anyone for a Red Bull hangover cure if of course Red Hull heir hair of the dog can be found?

Beware the knock on the door in the middle of the night concerning your comments .Might be a Chalerm boy looking for some funcheesy.gif

No, if he gets a knock on the door in the middle of the night it will probably be one of those "undesirable drunks". clap2.gif

And is there such a thing as a "desirable drunk" ? I don't remember ever seeing a drunk and thinking "I desire you". wub.png

• Like 1

Fact check:

The good Doctor is incorrect regarding laws and punishment for sellers of alcohol. Many states have laws that prohibit a bar owner or liquor store from selling to people that are drunk, and if they do and the person has an accident then that owner and bartender can go to prison and be fined.

Boxclever post # 10

I think it's a good idea. Get's rid of all the undesirable drunks with one stroke of a pen. Imagine how many pimp bars would close down over night. Bring it on I say smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqNPM4cy2e

Ease off my good man.where are the Hi So's going to be able to congregate if their venues are closed..blink.png

What will happen to the good Mr Chalerm if alcohol sales are stopped?w00t.gif

Anyone for a Red Bull hangover cure if of course Red Hull heir hair of the dog can be found?

Beware the knock on the door in the middle of the night concerning your comments .Might be a Chalerm boy looking for some funcheesy.gif

No, if he gets a knock on the door in the middle of the night it will probably be one of those "undesirable drunks". clap2.gif

And is there such a thing as a "desirable drunk" ? I don't remember ever seeing a drunk and thinking "I desire you". wub.png

I do, can't remember her name now or the bar.

• Like 1

it's all part of the plan to boost tourism. Shut down happy endings, prostitution and alcohol and tourism will go through the roof in Thailand. We will reach heaven with all these quality tourist flocking to us. This idiot P.M has absolutely no idea why Thai tourism is at the level it is at the moment. It is not the love for him or his junta but for the way it was before he started on his love me campaign.

• Like 2

"But it is also argued that the major cause of road mishaps that claimed high casualties during festive season is drunk driving." There probably is some truth to this, but if the major intent is reducing casualties why not go all the way and ban motor vehicle use? All we would have then are drunks crashing into each other while stumbling down the street.

I have a proposal.

This year, in Thailand, New Year is to be celebrated on 29/30 of January. The bars will be packed. Those who want to, can eat, drink and be merry.

Beverages can be purchased the next day, from supermarkets etc, and stored. If anybody wants a hair-of-the-dog session, they can go to the bar the next night until midnight.

On New Year proper, the stored beverages can be unleashed at home amongst friends and family.

Everybody wins. Dr Killjoy has a successful proposal, the bars make their money and New Year becomes a three day celebration. (All without driving, of course).

A similar thing could be done for Songkran. Shift the dates.

Too many accidents because people are irresponsible in traffic, may be dr. You ought to tell the police to do the job they are supposed to do.

sale of alcohol has little or nothing to do with it.

Besides do you want to be holyer than the pope?

the Public Health Minister, to come out and say that the proposal was just an idea to tackle the number of traffic fatalities as a result of drunk-driving

Does the Public Health Minister REALLY believe that stopping the sale of alcohol will stop people drinking and driving? If he does, he is completely naive.

Only the supermarkets, and some pubs/clubs would listen to this, if it was decided to go ahead. 95% of the other places would still serve, including all of the local mom + pop's shops.. they already sell ANY time of the day, and ANY day.

How about increasing the punishment for drunk drivers, and then getting the punishments enforced?... Oh yeah.. the RTP are completely corrupt, so they would prefer to fine the driver themselves and keep the money.

Nothing much will change in this country until the RTP are cleaned up, and accountability exists, which, at the rate they are currently going, will be somewhere around 2214.

Good luck!

Edited by Darbar

Usually these proposals are made to cover up something else going on behind the curtains. I wonder what that was this time ..

Perhaps simply a message being sent to the various owners/distributors of alcoholic beverages here in Thailand ...

when it comes to lost profits at bars/restaurants why not to do like in the civilized civilization: you bring ur wine/beer/hard liquor and get charged "corking" fee. Detail to be set by the owners of the area.

Usually these proposals are made to cover up something else going on behind the curtains. I wonder what that was this time ..

???...

it's just another sound-bite to seem like something is being done about.. well, something (by someone who will have his own stash and /or easy availibity of said 'banned items' anyway!!).. Could be attempted to be actually enforced, of course, in which case that'll be, er, a government/ police enforced imposition passed to seem like something is being done about.. well, something...

More than 'cover ups' - the 'Conspiracy Theorists' emerge, nodding from the shadows, again! - the merest suggestion towards something in Thailand is clearly too often regarded, especially by those dolts with the 'bright idea', as having achieved the thing itself.. a meeting about 'World Class Education' being 'proof' in itself that such aims are being achieved, for example.. in this case banning alcohol, or at least the suggestion of it, means the government WILL HAVE saved the lives of so many potential drink-drive victims.. bit of a magic wand scenario, really!!..

If so genuinely concerned about fellow citizens why not have the police spot-check cars and especially pick-up trucks full of 'revellers', especially over Songkran, and breathalyse a lot of drivers on the spot???

Okay, I'll answer my own question.. The police won't because they can't be arsed, and because they NEVER have been arsed, nobody but NOBODY will refrain from drinking and driving over the festive period should they be so inclined anyway, as per every other year!.. they (and I mean Thais in general) really don't even get that 'I'm alright to drive (hic!)' even if it were somehow true certainly doesn't mean that the guy coming towards you is and so this, coupled with 'what danger?.. what police?' means ANY sense of safety-first awareness is simply not about to become a nationwide mode of aware thinking.. (and 'Oh there goes my mobile, I'll just answer it whilst I ride my motorcycle one-handed at 80kmph'!!!)... wai.gif

when it comes to lost profits at bars/restaurants why not to do like in the civilized civilization: you bring ur wine/beer/hard liquor and get charged "corking" fee. Detail to be set by the owners of the area.

Try having booze buses on major roads and satellite vehicles off them checking as many as possible for drug and drink driving