webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM not against sale of alcohol on New Year's
The Nation

30249501-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-ocha said yesterday that he has no objections to the sale of alcoholic beverages during New Year holidays.

When asked about the Public Health Ministry's plan to impose a ban on the sale of alcohol on December 31 and January 1, Prayut said: "If you ask me, the sale of alcohol can go ahead as usual. It's just that drinkers must be responsible. If they are going to drive, they must avoid drinking."

The premier, who also heads the National Council for Peace and Order, refused to comment directly on the Public Health Ministry's plan.

On Monday, Public Health Minister Prof Dr Rajata Rajatanavin said the Office of the Alcohol Control Committee, which he also chairs, had prepared a draft regulation banning the sale of alcohol on December 31, January 1 and the April 13 to 15 Songkran holidays every year.

"The draft is in line with recommendations from the National Police Office," Rajata said, adding that the Alcohol Control Committee would look into the draft on December 19 and take into account all relevant information before making any decisions. "We will give priority to public safety," Rajata said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-not-against-sale-of-alcohol-on-New-Years-30249501.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-10

Nothing is perfect..specially for spoiled farangs..

And never will be perfect because nobody and nothing is perfect...but.....

This non democratic elected PM had done more good in 8 months than many elected democratics politicians did in 8 years...

Sounds familiar?

What had he done?????? Stuffed his pockets!!!!!!

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Tuesday that he disagreed with the proposal of the Public Health Ministry to ban alcohol sale during the long New Year holidays."

Just another "don't listen to cabinet ministers." I'm surprised Gen. Prayuth didn't pass this issue on to his friend the NCPO Chief who has said he's the "Answer Man" for all government questions from the news media. But maybe he did check first.

On a higher level, the NRC/CDC is proposing that cabinet ministers be directly elected.

If the public elects a candidate for Public Health Minister who, for example, promises to save lives from DUI by banning alcohol during all holidays, by what right could a PM override that minister's decision if he is elected as Public Health Minister? When a cabinet minister is appointed by a PM, the minister's constituency is the PM. But for an elected cabinet minister, the minister's constituency is the electorate. So it would seem a PM could not in the case of an elected cabinet minister override, admonish, transfer, or fire the cabine minister. For the PM to have such authority would contradict the democratic power of the People.

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Tuesday that he disagreed with the proposal of the Public Health Ministry to ban alcohol sale during the long New Year holidays."

Just another "don't listen to cabinet ministers." I'm surprised Gen. Prayuth didn't pass this issue on to his friend the NCPO Chief who has said he's the "Answer Man" for all government questions from the news media. But maybe he did check first.

On a higher level, the NRC/CDC is proposing that cabinet ministers be directly elected.

If the public elects a candidate for Public Health Minister who, for example, promises to save lives from DUI by banning alcohol during all holidays, by what right could a PM override that minister's decision if he is elected as Public Health Minister? When a cabinet minister is appointed by a PM, the minister's constituency is the PM. But for an elected cabinet minister, the minister's constituency is the electorate. So it would seem a PM could not in the case of an elected cabinet minister override, admonish, transfer, or fire the cabine minister. For the PM to have such authority would contradict the democratic power of the People.

Whatever the model will be for now the PM is leading his cabinet and as such he can disagree with the members of his cabinet.

Somehow I think that even happens in other countries, even democratic ones. Allegedly that is rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

How about enforcing driving laws, why don't they increase penalties over the period for speeding and drink driving, I don't even care if it goes straight in to the BIB's pockets. Something needs to be done about the road toll!

thailand can easily curb speeding by setting up speed cameras, also decreases corruption and bribes

So someone says we will ban booze for the holidays. Then the boss says no you wont and he looks like a hero.

All a bit too obvious.

So are you suggesting a conspiracy theory? No matter what this man does there will always be someone to howl him down. Give him a go, he has made many sensible decisions for the benefit of this nation and its people, of which I am not one but I do live here. I rarely see people praise the man but there are few, like Costas, who understands and can see through the forest despite the wood.

• Like 2

Yes, but people who drink and drive during this period should lose their car and go to jail. It will be the only way to make people learn.

Can't do that.

As many of the Thai Visa posters will tell you that is the only reason people come to Thailand and it would hurt the tourism business. It would make Thailand the laughing stock of the world.cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Sounds ridicules but that is fast becoming the line of thinking here on Thai Visa.sad.png

What's all this amazing stuff he's done? Protests stoppered and???

Who said anything about being amazing. Sensible is more the word and if you do not know and have to ask I suggest you educate yourself through talking, seeing and listening. Something the three wise monkeys also failed to do.

Whatever the model will be for now the PM is leading his cabinet and as such he can disagree with the members of his cabinet.

Somehow I think that even happens in other countries, even democratic ones. Allegedly that is rolleyes.gif

We had a prime example here in Thailand. The cabinet had no say in what was going on. Thaksin called into their meetings and gave instructions.

The disrespecful disdain for all things thai repeatedly been posted on this forum and thread is a disgrace.

If things are so bad and thailand so irredeemable, stop being hypocrites and return to the god forsaken homelands you emanate from and which are clearly unimpeachable in all aspects of life and society.

you all make me vomit!

Oh get off your high horse and read the threads that are pro Thai, pro Thailand but not pro military coup in Thailand or the UK or USA et al.Don't hide your reactionary, right wing, anti freedom views behind a fake veneer of love of Thailand. It is sickening and transparent. Go back to your home country and try to start a military coup.

We had a prime example here in Thailand. The cabinet had no say in what was going on. Thaksin called into their meetings and gave instructions.

Similar to the UK and other parliamentary democracies though we use a 'whip system' to lay down the party line. They tell MPs what the ELECTED leaders wants.

Hmm lets see PM owns several bars and resturants around Thailand Ban cuts into bottom line. Self severing maybe or good common cents?

Please be so kind as to post the name and address of those "several bars and restaurants around Thailand" that PM Prayut owns

PS: Where's Chalerm ?

What's all this amazing stuff he's done? Protests stoppered and???

Who said anything about being amazing. Sensible is more the word and if you do not know and have to ask I suggest you educate yourself through talking, seeing and listening. Something the three wise monkeys also failed to do.

I've lived here through the dems, shins and now military government. Little has changed in the grand scheme of things.