UK pensions-life certificate

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Local mayor: apparently doesn't have a stamp

Buy him a big and impressive stamp and a red ink pad. Stamps don't cost much.

He will gain much face by being able to apply the stamp to all manner of documents, and you will be golden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I got 2 last week and I will try the local hospital and if that doesn't work it will be back to the amphur police station where it costs me some cold beers.

No hints were passed in my direction that I needed to take a box of Leo's with me during our trip to our local nick last week!

25 minutes ago, blackcab said:

He will gain much face by being able to apply the stamp to all manner of documents, and you will be golden.

Indeed, I'm sure it made my police captain's day last week when he was able to plonk his bright red RTP stamp on my Life Certificate!

• Like 1

I'm afraid that I just took the easy way out and popped into the nearest law office.

The DWP seem quite happy to accept the signature of a Thai lawyer/solicitor/attorney or whatever they are officially called.  They all seem to have impressive stamps anyway.

OK, you have to pay for the service but, quite frankly, I just can't be bothered messing around, looking for someone who might be acceptable to the DWP.   If you know someone that you are certain is acceptable then fine but otherwise just use a lawyer!

30 minutes ago, jonesthepost said:

Is that a bonifide list the Life certifcate  I just received is  up to date. And no problem the local Pharamcist  witness it  and no charge.  

From The Gov UK Website....https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances scroll down to If you’re asked to fill in a ‘life certificate’

But if in doubt contact the DWP for advice.

Edited by Expattaff1308

A word of advice to any member living in Nong Khai who has an account with Bangkok Bank, don't waste your time taking your Life Certificate for the manager to witness. I have just tried it, the result point blank refusal by the manager to witness, she said she was not authorized and could not do it and that I had to contact a local lawyer. She pointed me in the direction of one who then stung me for 2000 baht to witness my Life Certificate! The phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted" springs to mind!

• Haha 1

Got mine also :saai:

I'm a bit wary of trusting that flimsy return envelope to the international postal system. If it doesn't arrive you don't know till the pension stops then there's all the hassle of getting it all set up again :annoyed:

Last time (a couple of years ago) someone posted a couple of Pensions Office E-Mail addresses which was handy as I E-Mailed a pdf file of the completed form as well as sending the original by regular mail to make sure they got it.

I'd like to do the same again but can't find the link here or any E-Mail contact address on the Pensions site.

So anyone who has a e-mail address for the UK Pensions Office and would like to share would make me a happy Ducky.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forgot about this thread can't believe it is 25 pages on.

Just answered a post that was closed.

I have had 2 in 6 years I get a doctor to sign mine, and just sent them back ordinary post.

I also remember thread that said an Official Stamp is not needed.

The IPC are very helpful if you ring them.

• Like 2

It took 3 weeks from the date of their letter to arrive at my PO Box.

Completed my form today at my local police station.

The chief of police is a regular customer ( as am I ) of the early morning street coffee and butterfly seller outside the local hospital.

The police station is also nearby.

It took about an hour of chit chat but, at the end, I even got an official stamp and they even gave me a report sheet ( nicely written in Thai ) to go with it.

Sent the duly completed form by registered post.

On the form "About you" Part 2 - "address you are living at now" - mine is a PO Box number for many years as shown on their letter to me.    Have attached a comment giving my living address separately.  Waiting to hear about that one .... 

• Haha 1
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, OJAS said:

But I really do believe that DWP could and should be more proactive in assisting State Pensioners in countries where English is not the official language by providing (e.g.) dual language versions of the Witness Declaration section - or, even better, explanatory guidance notes in the local language which State Pensioners could then simply hand to their non-English-speaking witnessers. Will be making this suggestion in a covering letter to DWP, even though I strongly suspect that it will fall on deaf ears.

Not so easy for some of us in the sticks where hardly anyone is willing to put their name on a paper they don't understand, after all we are advised not to sign any Thai document that we can't read so why should a Thai person be any different.

Can spend a lot of time explaining to several suitable people what's required only for them to decline or say they don't have stamp, then onto the next suitable person. :saai:

Don't see why the Pensions Office can't accept a copy of current visa or/and the 90 day reporting slip. These are things we all have to do and it would make life easier for a lot of us.

Anyway "OJAS" if you get round to composing a letter to DWP perhaps you could post a draft on here then a few more of us can send similar covering letters. The more the better :thumbsup:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Not so easy for some of us in the sticks where hardly anyone is willing to put their name on a paper they don't understand, after all we are advised not to sign any Thai document that we can't read so why should a Thai person be any different.

Can spend a lot of time explaining to several suitable people what's required only for them to decline or say they don't have stamp, then onto the next suitable person. :saai:

Don't see why the Pensions Office can't accept a copy of current visa or/and the 90 day reporting slip. These are things we all have to do and it would make life easier for a lot of us.

Anyway "OJAS" if you get round to composing a letter to DWP perhaps you could post a draft on here then a few more of us can send similar covering letters. The more the better :thumbsup:

And then what. How about all the other pension providers who are paying out pensions to expats in different countries all around the world?

Just how far would you like to take it?

Sorry, novel idea but totally impractical in reality.

Those of us who do live out in 'the sticks' and do get really stuck should, at least  be able to find a lawyer who would understand the requirements of a life certificate. They will charge of course, but how badly do you want your pension?

By the way, I am one of those who live in 'the sticks' and have had no difficulty getting suitable witness's. Without cheating!

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There's people here that can sign your form they don't have to be Thai.

They don't have to have a stamp.

If the two of you took the trouble to telephoned the IPC you would both realize you are fussing over nothing, the IPC are very helpful and will ring you back if you request it.

There are people on TV who can sign for you via post if not near to you.

Exactly.

If anyone is stuck, send the completed form, copy of passport  ID page and 500 Baht -  I will sign and send to DWP.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:37 AM, JAS21 said:

Got mine a couple of days ago ... have a friend up the road who is a retired Air Marshall ... got him to sign it ... wonder it he will be accepted ...

should be no problem they say

licensee of public house can sign so just see the local mamsan/

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If the two of you took the trouble to telephoned the IPC you would both realize you are fussing over nothing, the IPC are very helpful and will ring you back if you request it.

Easier said than done in my experience to contact the IPC by phone unless you have bags of time (not to mention money to line the pockets of phone companies with) on your hands while waiting for someone at their end to pick up your call. But do agree that they are generally helpful once you do finally manage to get through to them.

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Easier said than done in my experience to contact the IPC by phone unless you have bags of time (not to mention money to line the pockets of phone companies with) on your hands while waiting for someone at their end to pick up your call. But do agree that they are generally helpful once you do finally manage to get through to them.

I tried to contact them by phone today and got a message that the number they give is not yet is servce  

• Haha 1