Bangkok: Senior police officer's wife arrested for lese majeste

webfact

CORRUPTION SCANDAL
Senior police officer's wife arrested for lese majeste

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police yesterday arrested a woman accused of lese majeste for allegedly making profit in her business by claiming links to the monarchy.

Sudatip Muangnual, 45, was arrested at a housing estate in the Soi Thawee Wattana area of Yan Nawa district in the afternoon.

She is the wife of Police Colonel Kowit Muangnual, former commander of immigration police in Samut Sakhon.

Sudatip had earlier been released on bail in a separate case in which she has been charged with encroaching on public areas. In that case, she surrendered to police in late November along with her husband. The previous case involved a high-profile scandal linked to former Central Investigation Bureau chief Pol Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan.

Metropolitan Police commissioner Pol Lt-General Sriwara Rangsiphramanakul led the arresting team yesterday. Sriwara said that Sudatip had falsely cited the monarchy, in violation of the lese majeste law. He added that police were yet to charge her husband over the alleged offence.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Senior-police-officers-wife-arrested-for-lese-maje-30249564.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-11

Another suspect in Pongpat’s gang arrested

12-10-2014-11-15-56-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Another suspect linked to the gang connected with Pol Lt-Gen PongpatChayapan, former commissioner of Central Investigation Bureau, was arrested on Wednesday in Thonburi area by police.

The suspect, identified as Ms Sudathip Muangnuan, common law wife of Pol Col Kowit Muangnuan, former superintendent of Samut Sakhon immigration police, was wanted by police on lese majeste charge.

Pol Lt Gen SivaraRangsipromkul, commissioner of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said that MsSudathip was earlier arrested on November 22 together with Pol Col Kowit for allegedly constructing a building into the river without permission. She was however released on bail.

Pol Col Kowit is also facing lese majeste charge in connection with Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat’s gang.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/another-suspect-pongpats-gang-arrested

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-11

and the list goes on .........

what a bunch of cheats , crooks and scammers ......

and this is the ' Royal Thai Police ' ..........................................Absolute world disgrace !!!!!!

Government should be completely ashamed for letting this go on so long and so widespread ....

Is it just me, or does it feel like there is a lot of LM charges flying around ? It would seem to me,

that if the government wanted to clean out the nest of vipers known as the Thai police, there is

plenty of regular charges that could be leveled against them . And thus deterring crimes in

the future. Just throwing out the " you collected money using the name of the King" charge seems

a bit weak....

15 years if found guilty hardly a bit weak.

I believe LM charges are much heavier than fraud charges.

These LM charges are excellent holding charges until other things can be investigated and enough proof of other activities are found to bring other charges.

They hold a max sentence of 15 years and are taken seriously by the courts so suspects can be held so they don't interfere with ongoing investigations or skip the country.

Is it just me, or does it feel like there is a lot of LM charges flying around ? It would seem to me,

that if the government wanted to clean out the nest of vipers known as the Thai police, there is

plenty of regular charges that could be leveled against them . And thus deterring crimes in

the future. Just throwing out the " you collected money using the name of the King" charge seems

a bit weak....

There are a lot of LM charges flying around related to the CIB boss because they were using their links to the royal family in their schemes.

Still feels odd. So Pongpat's cronies are running around extorting money from people.

" Ok Sombat, pay up that 20 million baht. " Hey no way am I paying that money"

" Sombat, this is your final warning. We are collecting this money in the name of

the King." " Ok ok, no problem let me get a suitcase to put the cash in......."

Along those lines, but more of a "Do you know who I am?" statement.

If you read up on what the links actually are (sorry, were), you will understand why that question has a bit more meaning than the hi-so kid with the "Do you know who my father is?"

• Like 2

Goodness. A police colonel's wife. Would think she must have good enough family connections to keep herself out jail.

My brother-in-law's friend was murdered by the son of a lowly police constable in front of many witnesses. In that case the killer's family connection seemed good enough to keep him from ever being charged.

Edited by Dogmatix

I wonder if they will spend an equal amount of time investigating corruption in the armed forces?

Nothing to do with that. This all comes from you know who, and we're not allowed to talk about it on TV. They even had a big red banner on top reminding everyone not too long ago. However, it's all in the foreign media if you want to spend a few minutes in Google, if your ISP hasn't blocked the pages yet.

• Like 2

a bit weak....

Nowt to do with deterring crimes in the future, I'm afraid, or even cleaning out the corrupt RTP.

This whole charade has been orchestrated at the behest of one man for reasons entirely unrelated to "crime".................the catch is that you will need to access foreign news media to understand the real motives here.

• Like 1

Goodness. A police colonel's wife. Would think she must have good enough family connections to keep herself out jail.

My brother-in-law's friend was murdered by the son of a lowly police constable in front of many witnesses. In that case the killer's family connection seemed good enough to keep him from ever being charged.

It's the family connections that got her into trouble.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

a bit weak....

Suggest you get familiar with the whole details of what these people are being suspected of / charges with.

Strange how you seem to make very selective comments which seem to have an ulterior motive.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

a bit weak....

There are a lot of LM charges flying around related to the CIB boss because they were using their links to the royal family in their schemes.

Still feels odd. So Pongpat's cronies are running around extorting money from people.

" Ok Sombat, pay up that 20 million baht. " Hey no way am I paying that money"

" Sombat, this is your final warning. We are collecting this money in the name of

the King." " Ok ok, no problem let me get a suitcase to put the cash in......."

Yeah, that all now known and now all public information, has been for a couple of weeks.

Now how about a constructive comment.

A catch-all law, used in the same manner as vagrancy laws. Very convenient for the police as they never have to actually investigate anything. Of course it does nothing to deter people from actual specific criminal acts.

When you have (had) links to the royal family, and you get caught using those links in your scams, you will get charged with LM.

If the colleagues can’t nail them on specific charges, shouldn’t every wrongdoing cop taking bribes, extortion etc. already be charged with LM because he broke the oath of office?

A catch-all law, used in the same manner as vagrancy laws. Very convenient for the police as they never have to actually investigate anything. Of course it does nothing to deter people from actual specific criminal acts.

When you have (had) links to the royal family, and you get caught using those links in your scams, you will get charged with LM.

If the colleagues can’t nail them on specific charges, shouldn’t every wrongdoing cop taking bribes, extortion etc. already be charged with LM because he broke the oath of office?

No. Breaking the oath of office (is there such a thing in Thailand?) is not an LM offence.

• Like 1

Another advantage of charging them with LM vs other crimes may be the process. Aren't LM charges heard in a closed military court these days? And with very little chance of bail and no right of appeal? Please correct me if I am wrong.

If so, then this is much closer to a purge, rather than a crackdown on corruption...

• Like 1

a bit weak....

Agreed, but convictions seem easy & carry 5- 15 years inside. Other criminal charges can take lots of time gathering evidence and can be defended, argued, denied & then appealed. So the logic seems to be Hit 'em with "conduct unbecoming to an officer & a gentleman" and if all criminal charges fail at least we will keep them locked away with that. i.e. makes for lazy police work. Good enough reason to dump the LM laws on just those reasons. many might think.

the future. Just throwing out the " deleted" charge seems

a bit weak....

Agreed, but convictions seem easy & carry 5- 15 years inside. Other criminal charges can take lots of time gathering evidence and can be defended, argued, denied & then appealed. So the logic seems to be Hit 'em with "conduct unbecoming to an officer & a gentleman" and if all criminal charges fail at least we will keep them locked away with that. i.e. makes for lazy police work. Good enough reason to dump the LM laws on just those reasons. many might think.

Yes correct. I was not making light of what appears to be an automatic 15 year sentence,

but rather was implying that the level of military investigation needed to put people in jail

for a long time using LM laws was pretty minimal. Not sure about what will happen to Pongpat, but my understanding is that anytime someone is put away for a long time on an LM charge,

His Majesty will usually pardon them on his birthday....

Edited by CharlieH