Thailand for six months: how do I get my stuff there?

Goldbear

Hi, I am planning on getting a O-A retirement visa and spending six months in Thailand each year (thanks to several of you on this forum that helped me with the visa information). I have some belongings that I want to bring to Thailand and I was wondering what my options might be for that. Here they are:

1. A pretty nice mountain bike (I would put it in a cardboard bike box)

2. An acoustic guitar (in a case)

3. An electric guitar (in a case)

4. A vitamix (a type of powerful blender)

That's in addition to normal stuff like a suitcase and a laptop computer.

Normally I fly to Thailand on China Air from San Francisco. One of my friends told me that he thought I could just pay excess baggage charges.

I would likely, at the end of the six months, want to bring those items back to California.

I am sure that some of you have done something like this. I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The largest item. The bike, maybe buy here. Decent 2nd hand bikes are available. I have a 2011specialized 19" rock Hopper for 9,000b including extras like lights. Tripmeter. Helmet etc.

Pm me if interested

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2011&Brand=Specialized&Model=Rockhopper

PS : is the blender 220volt?

http://www.thailandguru.com/electricity-220volts-thailand.html

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Im not sure which class you travel but emirates will let me take 52kg of luggage which has often included many things even 8 feet long aluminium stepladders.

I am a silver member flying business class though.

You would have to check with China what they allow.

Excess charges are very high per kg on Emirates but I havent had to use this yet.

The mountain bike will lead to problems with duty/customs.

All things with wheels are subject to duty incl. bicycles.

We shipped one in 2011 (name of my wife, normally all duty free), but the bicycle was complained about.

A small bribe (2000 Baht) for the whole shipment did the trick.

As far as I know, you can not ship duty free household goods on a Non O-A visa.

Would require a work permit.

The guitars: I think this should be possible as excess baggage (probably unacommpanied "freight", much cheaper).

Don't think customs will interfere?

Unaccompanied can be arranged so that the baggage arrives before you.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I'd just bring the guitars and buy a bike and a blender here. If you have friends here you can probably store the bike and blender when you leave.

KhunBENQ, I brought my old Trek MB over about 18 months ago, unboxed, and paid neither a duty nor a bribe. I wheeled it right of the baggage claim at Swampy and through customs and never got a glance from anyone. Maybe the bike looked old and cheap enough they didn't care?

Edited by DivinGuy

I'd just bring the guitars and buy a bike and a blender here. If you have friends here you can probably store the bike and blender when you leave.

KhunBENQ, I brought my old Trek MB over about 18 months ago, unboxed, and paid neither a duty nor a bribe. I wheeled it right of the baggage claim at Swampy and through customs and never got a glance from anyone. Maybe the bike looked old and cheap enough they didn't care?

Your airline accepted an unboxed bicycle .. you were lucky!

Your airline accepted an unboxed bicycle .. you were lucky!

EVA's website said to turn the handlebars parallel to the frame and remove the pedals. It said nothing about a box, and I'd never traveled with a bike so didn't think about a box. I had an interesting few minutes at the counter, but they accepted the bike and it arrived w/ zero damage. No extra baggage charges, either.

Come to think of it, I guess Customs didn't bother me because I looked like a tourist bringing in my bike to ride while here on vacation.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes it might cost a lot to ship the stuff but it's good stuff that I would use a lot of it was living in Thailand. Yes, I *travel* light but this wouldn't be traveling.

The bike is a Surly Ogre 29er that I definitely want. I plan on riding a lot, including some touring. Based on what I have seen in Bangkok, buying anything equivalent would be expensive in Thailand, if I could even get it. Good point about not being able to import anyting with two wheels.

Anyone have experience with China Air?

Thanks a lot!

Good point about not being able to import anyting with two wheels

Don't get me wrong.

It is possible, but can cost a good amount of duty (something like 50% for a bicycle?).

If you are lucky they don't even notice or be happy with a small bribe.

Otherwise it would go the official way, estimating the price and cashing in for duty.

(assuming you want to leave it here permanently)

Lucky as he was:

Edited by KhunBENQ

Blender is problematic since the power here is 220V, 50Hz.

Even if you buy a 220/110 transformer for it, the 50 Hz will probably make it spin slower than it would in the USA.

Buy one here.

The blender will not last long even with transformer as it does not change the frequency. Better to leave the blender behind!

If you are going to be spending 6 months LOS & 6 months USA why bring & take back home again ?

All the items you mention can be purchased here quite reasonably. Many bike shops in all areas. Guitars are available here or just pay a little excess baggage. Probably more blenders available here that back in USA.

Travel light, it's so much easier.

Cheers..... Mal.

Agreed 110%

I've shipped a few things back and forth from Australia twice which was twice too many

Sure, the Thermomix is an expensive item and I guess your guitars and bike are good quality too.

However, if you're planning to ship this stuff more than once or twice it's unlikely to be worth the money AND certainly not worth risking those baggage <insert expletive here> breaking your stuff! (as they did with some of mine!)

Not worth bringing over and taking back that stuff even once let alone every year. Can get that blender here and all types of bikes and guitars are available here. I bought bikes for my homes in Bangkok and Pattaya just so I didn't have to throw the bike on the rack ride in Pattaya then load again to ride in BKK. Bought ones for my wife and me for BKK and Pattaya , wasn't going to bother with the racks.

Import duty on a bike is 25%, I know this because I imported a bike.

That should only be charged on a new bike, if the bike is not new and you take it with you on the plane then you would have to be very unlucky to be asked for any money, unless of course you chose to declare it!

Guitar you won't pay anything if it travels with you, blender again unless it's boxed or you declare it you won't pay.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes it might cost a lot to ship the stuff but it's good stuff that I would use a lot of it was living in Thailand. Yes, I *travel* light but this wouldn't be traveling.

The bike is a Surly Ogre 29er that I definitely want. I plan on riding a lot, including some touring. Based on what I have seen in Bangkok, buying anything equivalent would be expensive in Thailand, if I could even get it. Good point about not being able to import anyting with two wheels.

Thanks a lot!

No experience with the luggage issues, but have flown some in the past an do not like them. When they overbooked, the just closed the gate and ignored a few of us that came in on connecting flights and refused to help us, in Taipei. I have never flown them again, and that day, I was in business as were some of the others.

I did bring a boxed bike here several years ago and just pushed the box through customs....no issues. We had a van pick us up....and I don't have a clue what a taxi will do.

We spend 6 months here and 6 in US. Pretty soon, we just fly, have stuff in both places. A few clothes, laptops, phones, and clothes to give away are what we bring.

In regards to customs here nothing to worry yourself over.. If you are in coach on China you are allow two pieces each 50 pounds since you have a bike if you really need to bring it and I my opinion is NO unless you plan to live here full time or it is a bike you can't do without and if you are not a serious rider leave it at home so you have it when you return. Go to a bike shop they will be glad to give a box they just open for one of their bikes for sale..Loosen the handle bars and take the pedals off and tape the box up. Call China Reservation and give them the measurements to the bike box and they will count this as your second piece. On check-in they take the bike box and take it to large items area and you will pick it up at the large item area in Thailand. The box is a give away that the bike is not new! I was waved through without a problem. The only problem is transport to your hotel since most of the cabs are small. My cab the guy check me extra but tie it on his roof to Pattaya the next day I got a Volvo wagon! Personally as I said leave it behind. You can buy some real nice stuff in Bangkok and even Pattaya competitive stuff!

Unless you plan to be a working musician don't bring them and if you plan to impress the girls they won't!

The rest as noted you can get anywhere including that stupid blender! Who the hell are you Jack Delane?

Take your time moving stuff here save you lots of headaches! You can find what you need here!

I like your choices.....same kind of stuff I like to keep around.

Leave your electric guitar at home, and just carry the acoustic. (buy a detachable pickup for it and a very small practice amp). You can carry that.

You can buy my bike here for 4000. It is not a great mountain bike though. I have an idea for that, if you come to Chiang Mai. Buy a half way decent mountain bike for about 12,000 baht. I will buy it from you when you leave, for 8000. (If intact). Your total cost is still only 4000.

Same with the electric guitar. Buy a half way decent one (at least a Yamaha), for 12000, and I will buy that back from you for 8000 as well.

The blender..........ehhhh...I have one.

This is tough - best advice is to contact the airlines to get quotes for excess baggage - if you want comparisons, go to the post office just to get an idea - the last I remember it cost $40 to ship a small box… but you will not be able to decide if it is worthwhile until you know the cost. The laptop is probably best as a carry on as is anything of value… I do know people who have brought bikes or guitars, but they don't go back and forth with them on a regular basis. Only you can decide if it is worth the cost to you. If you are planning on coming regularly, it might be worth it to own duplicates. You might find that after a couple of trips, they items pay for themselves. The cost of shipping is never refunded, just an expense.

Much of what I have seen of people bringing things here just was not worth the expense of it. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Enjoy your retirement.

Was that a fold up one or did you reassemble it in front of everyone at the carosel from parts??!

Not sure about bringing several guitars here, but when i brought my Fender acoustic, the airport tried to dig out the built in pickup, Cos it set off the sensors. The rest of my guitars are still in the UK ( Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker), i don't dare try to bring them here

• Like 1

I think your Star Alliance level on Air China is very important. I don't know the specific rules with China Air, but if you aren't star gold (or business class) they may hassle you regardless. If you are Star Gold they will be more likely to let things go and have much more lenient allowances.

The checked bag fee for me on UNITED was $250 (for my 3rd bag) from SFO to BKK even though I was flying business class but wasn't star gold yet.. With fees like that, you could buy a pretty nice bike, guitar after a few trips. The last thing I want to deal with at the airport is arguing with them about packaging a bike, guitar..etc

• Like 1