You can't do this. 45 baht tip on 8000 baht bill

frollywolly

When we go to a restaurant we should only be expected to pay for food. We should not be expected to pay for labour. If some choose to, fine. But it shouldn't be expected. The restaurant owner should take that responsibilty. If he can't afford it, that's his problem - not the customers'. If he can't pay his staff a decent wage, then maybe he shouldn't be in business.

Of course, when we are being made responsible for the labour cost, some of us do think: is this really a fair amount for the service recieved? 10 or 20%, for what?

I was at a rooftop bar/restaurant in BKK a few months ago. It cost 300 baht for a small bottle of beer, plus service charge. There actually was no service. The waiters were standing around chatting and laughing; they were compteley ignoring the customers (cos they are getting the service charge anyway, so why bother?). I had to go over to them to place my order at the bar. These guys are probably getting 30k a month, all in.

And before anyone says, "No way..waiters in Thailand don't make that". My GF was a barmaid in a relatively small American Pub in Sukhumvit and even the staff there would often make up to 20k a month. Now, i would prefer her employer to pay that, rather than her having to rely on the customers. Some months were bad and she only got 10k (which i don't believe is enough for anyone in Thailand, especially not in BKK).

And, in Thailand, they can afford to pay more than 7k salary. All it would mean is, instead of having too many staff hanging around doing very little, they would have a few staff working hard for a decent salary and nobody would have to worry about tips.

Edited by Water Buffalo
  • Like 2

When we go to a restaurant we should only be expected to pay for food. We should not be expected to pay for labour. If some choose to, fine. But it shouldn't be expected. The restaurant owner should take that responsibilty. If he can't afford it, that's his problem - not the customers'. If he can't pay his staff a decent wage, then maybe he shouldn't be in business.

Of course, when we are being made responsible for the labour cost, some of us do think: is this really a fair amount for the service recieved? 10 or 20%, for what?

I was at a rooftop bar/restaurant in BKK a few months ago. It cost 300 baht for a small bottle of beer, plus service charge. There actually was no service. The waiters were standing around chatting and laughing; they were compteley ignoring the customers (cos they are getting the service charge anyway, so why bother?). I had to go over to them to place my order at the bar. These guys are probably getting 30k a month, all in.

And before anyone says, "No way..waiters in Thailand don't make that". My GF was a barmaid in a relatively small American Pub in Sukhumvit and even the staff there would often make up to 20k a month. Now, i would prefer her employer to pay that, rather than her having to rely on the customers. Some months were bad and she only got 10k (which i don't believe is enough for anyone in Thailand, especially not in BKK).

And, in Thailand, they can afford to pay more than 7k salary. All it would mean is, instead of having too many staff hanging around doing very little, they would have a few staff working hard for a decent salary and nobody would have to worry about tips.

The problem is either you have to start tipping or stop the others from tipping. Because one guy pays 1000 baht for a meal and another one 800. Who do you think is going to get the better dining experience?

Say what you will and rant and rave about what is fair and what is not fair but the guy who pays 1000 baht is going to get better food and service than the person who pays 800.

PS my wife married me because of my personality, good looks and youthful demeanor. biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mtnthai

What is the appropriate tip for a bad restaurant experience? In Thailand, and also in the US.

as i clearly stated in one of my first posts if i get bad service i do not tip, i actually take the time to express my dissatisfaction to the waitstaff and most often the manager/owner, and in most cases i will post about it on social media, Facebook/Tripadvisor.

I find that when things are good, show it, and when things are bad, show it.

I take what I consider to be a very balanced approach to service and food quality (anywhere).

But I am coming from decades of hote/F & B work and I know my outlook on all of this is different from those who have different backgrounds, or take no interest in good food or service.

Another thought that comes to mind while reading this topic is I find myself wondering how many of the posters who are so adamant about not tipping, good service being an easy job, and thinking that restaurants make huge profits all the of time are also the same people I have observed over the years who think its ok to take a doggie bag home from a buffet.

I don't tip one baht at a particular restaurant I have been frequenting for 8 years and it has amazing service. The management require it from their staff as part of their business model and they do very well with 3 restaurants in Pattaya and many throughout Thailand and they're always busy. I can name quite a few restaurants in Pattaya which offer similar great service where tipping is not necessary in order to get good service on subsequent visits.

In reply to a previous comment from you about tips giving staff incentive to provide excellent service...in Australia it is called keeping your job. If they don't do the job they'll lose your job. Providing good service is part of their job description.

As a customer I don't go to restaurants which provide poor service and food - it's that simple. I'm not at all interested in their balance sheets. There's no need to make excuses for poor service. Certainly in Pattaya it's a customer's market as the competition is stiff - that should be more than enough incentive for them to try hard to offer the best possible service.

You're still being vague about how the 10% service charge is distributed. You say maybe they get a few percent. In these cases how do they distribute the amount they do get? All the restaurants which I frequent which charge 10% have official computer receipts, so it would be well recorded on their records.

From a business point of view a service charge could be interpreted as a charge to ensure good service... perhaps extra staff, for example.... and never be intended as a tip.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Americans use the tipping system because it works.

Wait staff often get minimum wage and if they don't hustle, it effects their bottom line. A good waiter can have a decent career.

Another point is the tipping system will help cull the bad staff as they will receive smaller tips.

• Like 1

An emotive subject that always winds people up one way or another but my stance is that it's up to each individual what they tip or don't tip. My Wife's family are Middle Class Thai's and held that status years before i arrived. They leave 20 Baht no matter the size of the bill or quality of the service.

Just my 10 Baht's worth but anyone that pays 8000 Baht for a meal for four in Thailand is nuts !

• Like 1

when you by anything, lets say a car, do you think you are only paying for the parts and you did not pay for the labor? food is the same, as is EVERYTHING.

Consumers will always pay for labor one way or another, its a part of business. so if there is no SC assessed, or tipping is put to the side, then the menu prices will simply go up and customers will pay more for the food. in the end, you will still be paying for labor as you do for all services that you use.

one of the biggest problems IMO that TH faces is that the cost of goods and services were historically very low compared to the West for so long and the visitor got used to that. now that the cost of operating has gone up they need to raise their prices as in any country or economy, but the visitor still wants a 35 baht beer, 20 baht for fried rice and pahd thai, 100 baht for massages, a room with a seaview for 500 baht, and so on ... i find it quite disturbing that so many visitors and expats want TH to stand still in regard to what they are willing to pay for goods and services, and just can't deal with the fact that TH is progressing and that means prices are going up for everything.

how TH people can be expected to survive and support themselves and their families on the old wage scales when everything in their lives is costing more is an unfair view.

for those who have chosen TH as their new home, expats, i find its even more saddening that they expect TH to stand still so they can reap the benefits of paying 1980 prices for goods and services. there are expats that have put in a lot of years here living and working within the system, and then there are those that come here for retirement only. i find this second group to be a lot more out of touch with the reality of TH and its ways, especially the work place and what is considered to be fair and equitable. this group has only seen the end product during their holidays and they apparently have no idea what actually goes into providing them with what they want. they just want it to be cheap so their retirement can be more enjoyable to them without having to pay the full tariff.

• Like 1

I think i remember your girlfriend .....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't tip one baht at a particular restaurant I have been frequenting for 8 years and it has amazing service. The management require it from their staff as part of their business model and they do very well with 3 restaurants in Pattaya and many throughout Thailand and they're always busy. I can name quite a few restaurants in Pattaya which offer similar great service where tipping is not necessary in order to get good service on subsequent visits.

In reply to a previous comment from you about tips giving staff incentive to provide excellent service...in Australia it is called keeping your job. If they don't do the job they'll lose your job. Providing good service is part of their job description.

As a customer I don't go to restaurants which provide poor service and food - it's that simple. I'm not at all interested in their balance sheets. There's no need to make excuses for poor service. Certainly in Pattaya it's a customer's market as the competition is stiff - that should be more than enough incentive for them to try hard to offer the best possible service.

You're still being vague about how the 10% service charge is distributed. You say maybe they get a few percent. In these cases how do they distribute the amount they do get? All the restaurants which I frequent which charge 10% have official computer receipts, so it would be well recorded on their records.

From a business point of view a service charge could be interpreted as a charge to ensure good service... perhaps extra staff, for example.... and never be intended as a tip.

i am not being vague as all venues do different things with the SC, and some may give 2% or 5% to staff, and some may give none of it. but my experience in TH is that many places keep it all. there is no rule of thumb so i can not be more specific.

@canuckamuck:

when i worked in the states i was in Vermont on the Canadian border. every ski season Canadians would come to VT to holiday and most did not tip. but if the argument here is that when in Rome do as the Romans do, why is that most Canadians do not do this when travelling in the states and they know full well what the system is and that service staff are on a limited hourly wage?

Careful now you have me grouped with people that don't tip, people that bring a doggy bag to a buffet, and grouped all Canadians as non tippers.

And you are wrong in all three generalizations. So perhaps you should have that shoulder chip looked at. You're probably a spitter too.

In the west I tip like everyone else. But I do it grudgingly because what could be a gesture of gratitude and appreciation has become an expectation. Like giving someone a present and they say, "took you long enough"? And as the percentage creeps up you have to ask, when's it going to stop? Why did it jump from 10 to 20%. Because they figured how to work the guilt factor into the show-off factor and boom an extra 10% raise that never cost the owner a dime.

In Thailand I will tip what's convenient and likely near 10%. But only for good service which is not the most common element over here. What is common is my wife berating me for leaving a tip.

There is a restaurant chain in Thailand with 75 locations. They make each customer pay a 10% tip. They have great food but awful service.

Well .. you can't expect both whistling.gif

If they took the 10% forced tip off and let the lazy wait staff work for tips the service would improve; was my point.

• Like 1

do you know how restaurants are run here snd employees treated? did you find a poor server? tips dont go jnto servers pockets here, does not work that way.

its about you tipping because you feel guilty sbout how much you just spent on one meal that equals five months rent to your server. poor natives.

dont sit there with a 300 baht glass of wine again you pompous ***!

I think that most people commenting on this topic are the ones who feel guilt, which is why they keep coming up with 101 reasons not to tip someone for good service. (tips and service charge are not the same).

my 2 decades+ of working in the f & b business in TH has shown me that the service charges rarely make it to the staff (or only a small amount) , but tips left after the fact most often do.

I have also found that no length of discussion will change a person’s mind on this topic. it like climate change denial or evolution Vs. intelligent design, it only becomes an exercise is name calling, slagging and posturing because everyone’s beliefs are set in stone and no amount of debate will change either side's views.

IMO there are 2 kinds of people when it comes to food and dining out, those who really appreciate it and will pay for good food, drink and service, and those who are simply going through the motions of consuming sustenance. Nothing wrong with that, we all have different priorities in life.

Quality post.

If people do not want to tip, then do not tip.

@canuckamuck:

when i worked in the states i was in Vermont on the Canadian border. every ski season Canadians would come to VT to holiday and most did not tip. but if the argument here is that when in Rome do as the Romans do, why is that most Canadians do not do this when travelling in the states and they know full well what the system is and that service staff are on a limited hourly wage?

Careful now you have me grouped with people that don't tip, people that bring a doggy bag to a buffet, and grouped all Canadians as non tippers.

And you are wrong in all three generalizations. So perhaps you should have that shoulder chip looked at. You're probably a spitter too.

In the west I tip like everyone else. But I do it grudgingly because what could be a gesture of gratitude and appreciation has become an expectation. Like giving someone a present and they say, "took you long enough"? And as the percentage creeps up you have to ask, when's it going to stop? Why did it jump from 10 to 20%. Because they figured how to work the guilt factor into the show-off factor and boom an extra 10% raise that never cost the owner a dime.

In Thailand I will tip what's convenient and likely near 10%. But only for good service which is not the most common element over here. What is common is my wife berating me for leaving a tip.

please note i used the word most, and to me that is not a generalization, it is my direct experience.

my comment about taking food from buffets was not directed at you either, and it was a statement regarding people who feel that tipping is verboten at anytime and anywhere.

and if you (and some others) have read every one of my posts, rather than skimming or cherry picking through them as some do, it is evident that i am not an advocate of a forced SC, nor am i an advocate for paying for services and food quality that is not delivered. on the contrary, any place i have worked where this practice of a forced SC is being employed i try as a F & B manager to get it removed from my department so that staff will be inclined to deliver beter services. i was only successful once.

further, i clearly state (more than once) that i do not tip when it sucks (or leave a flat % with regard for what was served, its quality, and how hospitable the staff were). i also go so far as to contact the staff and management when i disapprove, and i take the time to leave reviews and comments on social media as that seems to be one thing that is helping to change the industry for the better (most of the time). and i do the same when i think it was exceptional.

i am very balanced in my approach and i think its because of all the hard work and time i have put into the hospitality business both in the US and in TH. i actually am "condemned" to analyze every aspect of a F & B venue, its products and services as a result of having been responsible for those things for so many years. i cannot sit in a venue for more than 5 minutes without giving it the same sort of appraisal that i do when charged with managing a place.

and i will be damned if i am going to work all week and do my best and then go out on my night off and have some lazy person ruin my dining experience or expect a tip for having done nothing. so please realize i am probably a lot harsher than most, but i am also generous to those who have done their job well.

that's my prerogative.

• Like 1

And the higher the price of the meal, the tip goes up. That doesn't make sense either. I like Thailand where the tip is usually not dependant on the bill.

But like most things these days, regular Joes are paying for the excess of fools with more money than brains, trying to prove they got more sausage than the next guy.

How would regular joes pay more? You dont like it, don't eat there

^^ Farang Restaurant Customer ... the new ATM?

Not sure where you eat, but this restaurant would be 98+% Thai customers. I can assure you these Thai people tip generously. More generously than I do.

Nearly had a heart attack seeing 8,000. I could make that much money last for several months eating at food stalls.

8000 for a few months? Marvellous frugality .

This thread is not a challenge to who can eat the most economically. Nor is it a contest to who can spend the most.

When we dine with friends for an occasion, between 1000-4000 baht per head (including alcohol) for a top nosh eatery is standard.

• Like 1

When a decent bottle of wine can cost at least 2,000 baht, why are so many surprised at a bill of 8,000 baht for 4 people. I'm sure at least two bottles would have been drunk, so around 1,000 baht a head for food seems quite cheap if it was a "proper" restaurant.

Correct. If you do not drink wine here a meal is a lot cheaper. The wine was a large part of the final bill

I read the first 4 pages and the last page...and have a few comments of course :)

1. Why do some people argue if the OP had 8k meal or not? Why is he considered crazy. He had a good evening out with friends...good for him. No need to comment on his expenses.

2. I noticed some saying "I never tip, especially if there is a service charge". If its included you will "happily" tip and if its not included you don't tip? Thats basically promoting restaurants to add a service charge. Seems you would be happy to be "forced" to pay 10%, rather than tipping on service received.

3. Then the ones that say "find a better job if minimum wage is not enough". If everybody thinks like that, you wouldn't have anymore restaurants, grocery clerks, trash collectors etc. Wait, let me rephrase that...you would have them, but the price for your food / beverage etc would go up in order to pay above minimum in order for the staff serving you.

4. The restauranteur should pay higher salary, so you don't have to tip? Fine, lets raise the menu prices 10% and use that money to pay the staff a bit more than minimum wage. However, that won't motivate them to give good service.

5. In the US, the server do get a minimum wage it IS law. Each state has a different minimum wage set. California ( when I left there was $8.50 ). Here is what many do not know. The servers are taxed on there sales ----> tips. Lets say a server sold $10,000 in 2 weeks ( payroll in the US is bi-weekly ), it is assumed they received 15% tip ( $1,500 ). From those $1,500 they have to pay taxes and tip out the bartender, Busboy, Hostess and in some instances the kitchen staff and/or event coordinator. The taxes get automatically deducted from their paycheck, which in many cases leaves a server that worked 60-80 hours in those two weeks with a minimal paycheck ( depending how much they sold those 2 weeks ). Is a server doesn't sell anything in those two weeks, they will get their hours worked x $8.50 with no extra deductions besides the usual social security, witholding tax etc

On topic:

it is an interesting question the OP brought up....especially since their are obviously so many different opinions. I think he did good by leaving some extra...and since he is 20+ years friends with the host, I don't think there are bad feelings...more likely just something to converse about next time around.

If service was good like op mentioned, I think 300 is a reasonable tip to leave ( usually staff split the tips at the end of the night between everyone...even the ones working behind the scenes i.e. dishwashers ).

I am a restaurant owner and "struggle" with the tipping here. My waitstaff are stoked if they receive a tip anywhere between 40 and 100 baht and kind of shrug it off if they don't receive a tip or only very little. My struggle is explaining to them what good service consists of. But I have noticed they try really hard. When they do get that "big tip" for the service, they get excited. It really does motivate them to do even better. It is very important for them to know they got tipped for good service and not just because it is custom. I hate it when crappy service is given and a tip expected....and my staff know that.

By the way, it is not easy to find wait staff here, as it seems to be a looked down upon profession in Thailand. And from what I have seen in Thailand, they are treated like "slaves", unfortunately. Many people sadly don't see that customer service can be challenging and unrewarding, especially if not trained for it.

• Like 2

I read the first 4 pages and the last page...and have a few comments of course smile.png

1. Why do some people argue if the OP had 8k meal or not? Why is he considered crazy. He had a good evening out with friends...good for him. No need to comment on his expenses.

2. I noticed some saying "I never tip, especially if there is a service charge". If its included you will "happily" tip and if its not included you don't tip? Thats basically promoting restaurants to add a service charge. Seems you would be happy to be "forced" to pay 10%, rather than tipping on service received.

3. Then the ones that say "find a better job if minimum wage is not enough". If everybody thinks like that, you wouldn't have anymore restaurants, grocery clerks, trash collectors etc. Wait, let me rephrase that...you would have them, but the price for your food / beverage etc would go up in order to pay above minimum in order for the staff serving you.

4. The restauranteur should pay higher salary, so you don't have to tip? Fine, lets raise the menu prices 10% and use that money to pay the staff a bit more than minimum wage. However, that won't motivate them to give good service.

5. In the US, the server do get a minimum wage it IS law. Each state has a different minimum wage set. California ( when I left there was $8.50 ). Here is what many do not know. The servers are taxed on there sales ----> tips. Lets say a server sold $10,000 in 2 weeks ( payroll in the US is bi-weekly ), it is assumed they received 15% tip ( $1,500 ). From those $1,500 they have to pay taxes and tip out the bartender, Busboy, Hostess and in some instances the kitchen staff and/or event coordinator. The taxes get automatically deducted from their paycheck, which in many cases leaves a server that worked 60-80 hours in those two weeks with a minimal paycheck ( depending how much they sold those 2 weeks ). Is a server doesn't sell anything in those two weeks, they will get their hours worked x $8.50 with no extra deductions besides the usual social security, witholding tax etc

On topic:

it is an interesting question the OP brought up....especially since their are obviously so many different opinions. I think he did good by leaving some extra...and since he is 20+ years friends with the host, I don't think there are bad feelings...more likely just something to converse about next time around.

If service was good like op mentioned, I think 300 is a reasonable tip to leave ( usually staff split the tips at the end of the night between everyone...even the ones working behind the scenes i.e. dishwashers ).

I am a restaurant owner and "struggle" with the tipping here. My waitstaff are stoked if they receive a tip anywhere between 40 and 100 baht and kind of shrug it off if they don't receive a tip or only very little. My struggle is explaining to them what good service consists of. But I have noticed they try really hard. When they do get that "big tip" for the service, they get excited. It really does motivate them to do even better. It is very important for them to know they got tipped for good service and not just because it is custom. I hate it when crappy service is given and a tip expected....and my staff know that.

By the way, it is not easy to find wait staff here, as it seems to be a looked down upon profession in Thailand. And from what I have seen in Thailand, they are treated like "slaves", unfortunately. Many people sadly don't see that customer service can be challenging and unrewarding, especially if not trained for it.

excellent post from someone who obviously has given this all a lot of consideration.

i agree with you that TH does offer a great challenge when it comes to service staff, and good knowledgeable ones are hard to find.

• Like 1

I read the first 4 pages and the last page...and have a few comments of course smile.png

On topic:

excellent post from someone who obviously has given this all a lot of consideration.

i agree with you that TH does offer a great challenge when it comes to service staff, and good knowledgeable ones are hard to find.

Marvellous post! Well thought out and argued points.

please don t picture me as cheap cheap Charly.

I don t know from where u come from

I m from Canada.And this police of tipping Is really coming bad.

U r not "home"and before invasion of Farang,they din t know What a TIPPING was.

So by importing u r Farang mentality here in Asia,u contribute to spoil...the hole thing.

I work myself for Air Canada for Many years,has passenger agent at différents airports,give the best of myself to provide services to costumer and never receive tip.

This was perfect to me.IT WAS MY JOB TO DO IT.

Of course,when I stay in htl I always leave leave a tip on the bed for the room cleaning woman.

preferebly from the first day.

IT only mean that I appreciate her services.I do same in resto.

but just to show my appréciation.

So pls,think about other fa rangs will follow u after u r visit.

We just leave $ for show We appreciate.

TIP:before u leave resto,look on other tables What the Thai left as a tip.

I bet your paycheck is much more than someone who works as a waiter/waitress in Thailand. Please don't venture to America, because they will treat you very badly if you don't tip. They rely on tips.

The reason you came to Thailand is because it's cheap. At least treat the staff with respect and give them a decent tip for good service.

BTW, I worked in restaurants and you don't want to know what happens to repeat customer's food when they don't tip. It's not pretty.

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

I bet your paycheck is much more than someone who works as a waiter/waitress in Thailand. Please don't venture to America, because they will treat you very badly if you don't tip. They rely on tips.

The reason you came to Thailand is because it's cheap. At least treat the staff with respect and give them a decent tip for good service.

Well said. Treat the staff with respect, if you have been treated with respect and afforded good service. If you don't like to monetarily tip then say a 'thankyou for the good service' direct to your wait staff

BTW, I worked in restaurants and you don't want to know what happens to repeat customer's food when they don't tip. It's not pretty.

I have heard this happens but I do not condone such actions.

DON'T TIP, you just ruin the culture for everyone. How stupid is it to encourage people to actually do what they are paid to do by their employer. Think your a bigger man now? How about dropping the 300 Baht into a reputable donation location, that actually helps out someone without a job.

Oz

We all know that most of the Australians visiting Thailand are not the world best tip giving people.

Do we ???

• Like 1

Well said. Treat the staff with respect, if you have been treated with respect and afforded good service. If you don't like to monetarily tip then say a 'thankyou for the good service' direct to your wait staff

I have heard this happens but I do not condone such actions.

It happens. I don't condone it either, but people get upset when it comes to money. I worked with a lady who chased a customer out of the restaurant because he didn't leave a cent! The meal was $40 and he didn't leave a cent! The service was very good.
  • Like 1

At least treat the staff with respect

Does that not say it all? Treat staff and people in general with respect. If the service is good or excellent, let them know. Give a compliment, perhaps leave a tip (small, medium, generous). Whatever you as an individual think is the right thing to do.

And as staff IMHO you should never "expect" a tip as in that it's required by default from all customers. Especially not generous 10-20% tips or when the service was a bit lacking. In Thailand you might expect that at a normal restaurant people leave the change (which is a tip). But again, the customer decides.

Being upset or even staining the food due to no or small tips cannot be excused. If your income is that shitty, do a better job or find a better job. Some people may be stuck in low income jobs but even then there is no reason to receive or hand out ill or disgusting behaviour. A smile goes a long way, even if it does not directly get you any food on the table.

• Like 1

the day i get a waiter who can time menu delivery and re appear several minutes later without hovering...

and who can bring the bill in that window between finishing and an uncomfrotable wait (or who brings it at all)...

is the day i will start tipping. has not happened in years here.

• Like 2

the day i get a waiter who can time menu delivery and re appear several minutes later without hovering...

and who can bring the bill in that window between finishing and an uncomfrotable wait (or who brings it at all)...

is the day i will start tipping. has not happened in years here.

Cherry's Pattaya, Edge Pattaya, Pomodoro Bangkok

• Like 1