CRF/M Rear Rack and Rotopax with mount

cchina184

I have never seen Rotopax in this country, but it might be a bad idea anyway depending on where you mount it.

Any weight hanging off the far rear of the frame will eventually crack/break the frame as it bounces up/down countless times riding along.

It happened to my Dtracker and my friends' KLXs which have a similar frame style but of stronger steel.

My topbox on my old scooter almost ripped through an entire steel bracket over 4 years.

Looking at photos of a CRF frame, I don't think this will end well long term.

Maybe check a CRF forum and see what other owners say.

I have never seen Rotopax in this country, but it might be a bad idea anyway depending on where you mount it.

Any weight hanging off the far rear of the frame will eventually crack/break the frame as it bounces up/down countless times riding along.

It happened to my Dtracker and my friends' KLXs which have a similar frame style but of stronger steel.

My topbox on my old scooter almost ripped through an entire steel bracket over 4 years.

Looking at photos of a CRF frame, I don't think this will end well long term.

Maybe check a CRF forum and see what other owners say.

The attached pic is what I was thinking about. I ride off road mostly and by myself. For a girl there are probably better choices but it’s just my thing. I would like to carry a 1.75 Rotopax on a rack and also a little gear (5 kg) in case I get stranded (which has happened) in the middle of nowhere. I see pics of “adventure” riders on CRF 250’s with the things loaded to the gills. Your take on this would be that a loaded bike on rough terrain will eventually suffer a subframe failure. The trails that I use are rough. They will shake the gold out of your teeth. So is there a solution? Or have I bought the wrong bike? I could load the old Chinese clunker I used to ride with a pile of stuff and other than making crappy handling even crappier it worked ok. But it finally shot craps (in the middle of nowhere) and I thought I would get something a little more refined and hopefully more reliable.

post-205869-0-52079300-1418437343_thumb.

You didn't buy the wrong bike, I just don't think anyone makes the right bike for technical touring.

All the small 250cc dirt bikes are great since they are light and nimble but they are not meant to haul much else than the rider long term.

I am not aware of a small dirt bike that has a rear subframe meant to carry 2 people all the time.

I used to jam as much heavy stuff in small pouches and storage tubes all over my old dirt bike.

Extra weight up high is really noticeable especially if you have to pick up the bike often.

I think you can try the rack and rotopax knowing you will have to reinforce the subframe later, but I would try to break up the gas into small MSR bottles and get a Giant Loop to keep weight low on the bike.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/parts-accessories/141_1202_giant_loop_coyote_saddlebag_fandango_and_buckin_roll_tank_bags_review/

Also read up on Advrider and GTRider forums; this forum is mostly road riders.

The attached pic is what I was thinking about. I ride off road mostly and by myself. For a girl there are probably better choices but it’s just my thing. I would like to carry a 1.75 Rotopax on a rack and also a little gear (5 kg) in case I get stranded (which has happened) in the middle of nowhere. I see pics of “adventure” riders on CRF 250’s with the things loaded to the gills. Your take on this would be that a loaded bike on rough terrain will eventually suffer a subframe failure. The trails that I use are rough. They will shake the gold out of your teeth. So is there a solution? Or have I bought the wrong bike? I could load the old Chinese clunker I used to ride with a pile of stuff and other than making crappy handling even crappier it worked ok. But it finally shot craps (in the middle of nowhere) and I thought I would get something a little more refined and hopefully more reliable.

Hi china...you can get the can and rack from CRFsOnly (I've quite a few things off them and very happy with their service).... http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_322/products_id/5586

There is a good thread for CRF250L owners on Adventure Rider (now 707 pages long!!!!) and covers just about everything you could possably wish to know LOL

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2ab0ef0f01665cf798cf1fe5b0bd0077&t=823409