British man paints Pattaya Temple Walls to celebrate Christmas

webfact

British man paints Pattaya Temple Walls to celebrate Christmas

paint-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 77 year old British Resident of Pattaya has decided to paint the walls of a Pattaya Temple as his Christmas gift to the local community.

Mr. Terry Smith has lived in Pattaya for 4 months and walks past the Sutawat Temple every day and noticed that the walls were in a poor state and needed a coat of paint.

With Christmas approaching, Mr. Smith, who tells us he practices Buddhism, decided to buy some paint and transform the temple walls in time for the festive period.

Social Media users were the first to publish pictures of Mr. Smith and local residents would offer him food and drink as he continued to paint the walls in the heat of the day.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/160360/british-man-paints-pattaya-temple-walls-to-celebrate-christmas/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-12-19

• Like 2

And despite the above post mentioning the WP i would question if he had thought out his action before doing it? He is doing a job that a thai could be paid to do so it only takes 1 jealous idiot to grass him up.

Id be more than happy to do volunteer work here to get round the boredom of not working but i know the law.

• Like 2

The monks will be sitting inside the temple counting their millions and going .......SUCKER!!!!!!!

He is not doing this for the monks. He does it for his own well-being. He sees a job that needs doing, and makes his contribution to the community. .

A selfless act which is a valuable contribution does not make him a sucker, surely.

A selfless act for his own well-being?? thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The monks will be sitting inside the temple counting their millions and going .......SUCKER!!!!!!!

He is not doing this for the monks. He does it for his own well-being. He sees a job that needs doing, and makes his contribution to the community. .

A selfless act which is a valuable contribution does not make him a sucker, surely.

A selfless act for his own well-being?? thumbsup.gif

I appreciate the point you are making, Maybe I should have worded it more carefully. but I dont see these two as mutually exclusive. The fact that he is doing something for the community (selfless) makes him happy (well-being), as I see it. Selfless, surely means "less for self", it doesn't mean "nothing for self".

I don't assume that his sole intention was to create personal happiness.

But, then again, what do I know ? smile.png

Some local Thais will laugh and some will look at him with respect. But any time you do something without expecting something in return you have built good karma. For sure he will be known by all who go to that temple. More things like this and perhaps things like picking up trash along the roads could help set an example. It would be nice if farang were once again respected in Thailand.

• Like 1