Travel to Laos(Luang Prabang)

brianp0803

Planniig a trip to Luang Prabang over the holiday.

How easy to get the visa on arrival in Laos?

I am planning to stay at Zen Namkhan boutique resort. It is in the mountains about 8 km from the airport. Looks beautiful and quiet.

How is transportation?

Enough English spoken?

I want to see caves and old town.

What is your nationality? I've not been for several years, but the visa was easy, getting across the border into town was easy. I took a local bus, which was quite the experience. Definitely not first class travel! 55555 But it was OK.

I loved LP. Vang Vieng is also quite nice.

Unless you intend to cross at a remote border post that does not support Visa on Arrival, this is very straightforward. Bring a photo.

No shortage of tuk-tuks, minivans, etc.

English is spoken by those working with tourists.

Visa is US $30 or B1500 ($45) so better to bring $$. The 10 hour bus trip from Vientiane to Luang Prabang is quite spectacular, beautiful mountain scenery most of the way.

The road is very twisty with some very steep and deep dropoffs close to the edge of the road...some hairy passing by bus drivers as well. The buses are not the latest models but I'd do the trip again. If you go, make sure to get a window seat.

About 2/3rds of the way to LP, the bus passes through some really fascinating mountain villages with thatch dwellings. I noticed that many of them had decent looking guest houses overlooking the mountains. If I ever do that trip again, I will try to arrange to stay a few nights in some of these places...looks really interesting. You might want to check it out.

Luang Prabang itself, though beautiful, has become tourist central. It's a lovely place to walk around but you will always be part of a crowd of other tourists. We took the boat trip up the Mekong to the waterfalls and though they also were beautiful, the pathways and viewpoints were packed, some organized tour groups were having catered sit down dinners along the way...you get the picture. A trip to the caves was more of the same.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

If I was traveling with someone then the long bus ride might be nice.

Sounds beautiful.

wow. Sad if becoming too touristy. Unfortunately, nice places will attract many people and loose some of their appeal.

I am hoping my planned hotel is away from most of the tourist area but I can venture in to look.

I have mostly Thai baht unless I exchange for dollars.

I usually like to use atm to get local money

Edited by brianp0803

From 1970-75 my work took me to LP about a 100 times always by air..At that time you could count the number of tourist on one hand. Even then had a very satisfactory nitelife.

It was a great place and I have many fond memories of LP..I would probably be sad to see it today.

Lefty

Brian,

I was there last year and yes, there were more tourists than my previous visit (5 yrs previous) but it is not exactly over run and ruined with tourists. It's still off the main tourist trail so I would argue that at the moment it's still in a sustainable tourist state if that makes sense? My wife and I love the place, it's enchanting, unique and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. As an aside, we stayed across the river last time which was nice in a way to be able to be on a quiet spot on the Mekong and then go back into town when we pleased. That said, I don't think that's necessary and if I went again i'd look for somewhere on the river in town with it's own unique character.

If I was traveling with someone then the long bus ride might be nice.

Sounds beautiful.

wow. Sad if becoming too touristy. Unfortunately, nice places will attract many people and loose some of their appeal.

I am hoping my planned hotel is away from most of the tourist area but I can venture in to look.

I have mostly Thai baht unless I exchange for dollars.

I usually like to use atm to get local money

Why would you need dollars (except for the visa on arrival)? You can spend Baht directly or just as easily (if not more easily) exchange Baht for Kip, compared to using US dollars. Unless you're American or have just come back from the USA or Cambodia, there's no reason to be carrying any USD apart from 30-35 for the visa on arrival, if your nationality needs it.

• Like 1

Ok. Dollars for visa on arrival and make taxi.

I will bring mostly Thai baht but usually when I travel I use Atm to get local currency

I called my hotel and she told me the taxi from the airport to hotel was $20 but not sure about the baht price.

I saw a poster on the agoda review talk about the expense taxi

Ok. Dollars for visa on arrival and make taxi.

I will bring mostly Thai baht but usually when I travel I use Atm to get local currency

I called my hotel and she told me the taxi from the airport to hotel was $20 but not sure about the baht price.

I saw a poster on the agoda review talk about the expense taxi

That's a good strategy. Just get Kip from the ATM.

US dollars are often quoted to tourists, but payment can be made in Kip or Baht. Officially all prices should be quoted and payment made in Kip but in reality enforcement is not yet that strict.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions.

I landed at Luang Prabang airport and the visa on arrival was very quick. 35 for visa + $1 service fee.

I first stayed at a resort in the mountains on the Nan Khan river. Very beautiful. Thousands of trees. Beautiful stars. Temperature was 7 degrees at night and maybe 15 degrees in the day. I was not prepared for this. 2 t-shirts; 2 long sleeve t- shirts, long sleeve shirt and still cold.

Tad Sae Waterfall is beautiful. A lot of hiking. Not for the weak, but a series of waterfalls and beautiful forest.

Now in Luang Prabang city. Now long pants and regular shirt is enough. Cool but not cold.

Kuang Si Waterfall has one big spectacular waterfall. Many tourist but easy walking.

Tomorrow see the caves and a riverboat cruise.

Everyone accepts Baht but I changed money to Kip to use local money(247 Kip per Baht).

The Lao people mostly can understand Thai language better than English.

Prices are usually in Kip, but more expensive things like Christmas dinner and riverboat cruise are quoted in dollars.

Sabai Dee is the common greeting.