Thai Health Min warns tourists against using charcoal stove indoors to keep them warm

webfact

Public Health warns tourists against using charcoal stove indoors to keep them warm

w.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 December 2014 (NNT)-The Ministry of Public Health has warned winter tourists against drinking alcohol to keep warm and using a charcoal stove in a tent or indoors as its fumes could be harmful.

Ministry of Public Health Dr. Narong Sahamethapat has instructed local health offices to advise people on how to keep themselves warm during winter, particularly children and the elderly who are prone to winter sickness.

Tourists must not use the charcoal stove in the tent as fumes, which consist of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, could kill them. People who inhale the gas would soon become unconscious and die as no oxygen would be supplied to the brain.

He also cautioned that drinking alcohol would cause the body to lose body heat and water through the skin. The body temperature will gradually drop and should a person fall asleep from drinking too much, he could die from hypothermia.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-22 footer_n.gif

i think this post would be better placed in the Thai speaking forum

Me think the warning is corrrect. It is aimed at 'winter tourists', so they actually mean THAI tourists who are coming in doves to the north to experience the cold snap. They are warning their own people.

Farang are not 'winter tourists' in Thailand . . . never seen any of them, carrying skiing equipment or spiked shoes to Chiang Mai and ask the guesthouse owners where one can do the alpine trekking tours . .

Me think the warning is corrrect. It is aimed at 'winter tourists', so they actually mean THAI tourists who are coming in doves to the north to experience the cold snap. They are warning their own people.

Farang are not 'winter tourists' in Thailand . . . never seen any of them, carrying skiing equipment or spiked shoes to Chiang Mai and ask the guesthouse owners where one can do the alpine trekking tours . .

You have seen skiing in Chiang Mai??? 11 years in CM and somehow I must have missed it...........

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You have seen skiing in Chiang Mai??? 11 years in CM and somehow I must have missed it...........

After a few slabs Xmas day you can do anythingcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Camping holidays with tents and use by Homestay places is quite popular in Thailand for backpackers and Local tourists the same.

Keeping warm can be difficult , Global Chiang Mai are selling oil filled radiators which are worth buying for inside your HOUSE.

Burning charcoal is an issue , however all you need to do is follow your nose in Northern Thailand to find by smell a field of rice stubble , or piles of leaves or even that wonderful pile of plastic and tyres with a wonderful chirpy od man and a fire at he sorce ,, ahem keeping warm. Clearly he HAS seen the local banners and signs that he decided that is the best way of keeping warm and get the same effect as smoke inside your tent!

They can be very dangerous: commonly used for suicide in Japan.

They use kerosene in Japan, but same idea

Charcoal. They light them up in a enclosed area. Super common way to suicide.

OB

You're totally right, i was just thinking about people heating their homes. Yeah, that charcoal stove was all the rage for the suicide fashionable.

For sufficient downhill inducement I can show you the Alpine Resortcheesy.gif Some dyslexic snowboarders having attempted to buy cigars from the tobboganistclap2.gif

I can show you the Alpine Resort,where dyslexic Snowboarders try to get cigars from the tobboganists

Edited by RubbaJohnny