another day another rip off attempt

zoza

on Thursday last I went to meet a friend in a bar in soi buchow its just before you get to soi L K

and it sounds K********REE, I am not a regular in this place but I have been in on odd occasions

after three small leo's I asked the girl waiting on how much was a small beer, she replied 55 baht

so I hands her 170 baht, when my friend came back from the toilet he got out 150 baht ?

I asked him what was the score with the 150 baht for 3 beers, and he says 45 baht a beer

so I thought she must have made a mistake and will bring me my change.

when she returns nothing, not one satang, so I tells her to go and get my change

she retuned scowling and begrudgingly handed over what I was owed, I was thinking that the

tip was now cancelled when the cashier came over and started screaming and F***ING

and blinding, I asked if the problem was me not cooperating in the scam and should I just accept the

lying and cheating as part of the service and hand over my money.

I was informed later that I was not welcome in the bar again!!!!! that was the worst insult that

they could think I had a scummy personality that would allow me to go in a bar like that again .

a few horrible greedy people give pattaya and Thailand a bad name.

^^ It sounds as though they have a 45 baht per beer deal on three beers, but I agree to always check first.

Unfortunately, op, you should be prepared for any eventuality when you mix with that type of personage. Face has been lost through you pointing out their error or scam and thus all logic flies out the window. Not worth getting bent out of shape for a few baht, maybe, but not great if the karma takes a hit. Suggest buying cheap flip-flops, finding nearby dog do and accidentally on purpose walking in it, and thusly right past bar entrance on occasion, before depositing said flip-flops either in a bin or in the entrance of offending watering hole.

Next time ask for the bill.

Next time ask for the price before you drink.

Most bars have a "menu" or a poster with the prices.

45 Baht for a small LEO is the very low end of the price scale, even for Soi "buchow" (another spelling for my Soi Buakhao collection).

55 is still moderate/normal for a beer bar.

I would not be so sure who was in error here.

Another clash of cultures tongue.png

Next time ask for the price before you drink:

maybe I should have done so before ordering a LEO at Queen A GoGo at LK Metro on a lazy early evening with a handful of "bikini" girls on stage.

145 Baht !!!!

What the f... Last visit.

(so now I have joined the Pattaya scam ranting crew biggrin.png)

Nice post...one comment; As we're being particular about the spelling here, I think the generally accepted spelling of Soi Bua Khow or "Khao" as you put it is as two separate words. This would seem to comport with the Western convention of separating nouns from their adjectives...as "khow" describes "bua" in this case. :)

• Like 2

How many bars are there in Pattaya? +500 I think so it should be possible to find another watering hole.

On most bars beer taps it's written how much they cost a pop, 1 tap for each beer and it's difficult to cheat too.

If I encounter cheating I would just pay and leave, it's not wort it man.

Thais are not only cheating tourists, some nasty people will cheat on everybody, money is the only thing they care about, they don't care how they "earn" them.

Grasshopper you have reached the next stage of enlightenment Pass on your knowledge and do not receive a kicking over a few baht.

• Like 1

LOL worrying about 30 Baht in a brothel.

you obviously haven't been in this place? by no stretch of the imagination could you call it a brothel. LOL.

Lets see.. Soi Buakhao, Soi LK, Pattaya, and with 45 baht beers................it's a cheap and nasty brothel!!! cheesy.gif

I was in Pattaya a few weeks ago in the beer garden and a bunch of balloon chasing old were were in there, occupying the best table overlooking the sea but drinking whiskey from a plastic water bottle. The manager caught them and tried to confiscate the bottle but threw them out. What a nerve!

• Like 2

Almost ripped off a whole 30thb and yet you take the time to make a comment like that. Personally I wouldn't embarrass myself by showing what a complete tight wad I was but hey ho, if it satisfied your need to Thai bash then rock on.

• Like 2

Surprise surprise. You're in a third-world country. Next time ... and always ... ask or look for the price before ordering ... or otherwise gracefully pay up when the check-bin comes.

When visiting a bar for the first time, I always glance at the first bill in my check-bin to see what the price is.

At one bar in the Simon Complex in Walking Street, I saw that they charged me 180 Baht for a small Singha. I didn't comment, but decided that that would be the last beer I would buy in that bar!

One of the girls then came over and asked me if I was from India. I told her that I was from New York. She opined that I was from India, and kept questioning me. Not that it mattered to me, but I showed her a copy of my passport that I carry with me. Shortly after, I happened to notice that my bill had been altered...it was now 100 Baht. Apparently, some places have different prices on whether they want your business or not!

• Like 1

MY GOD, if I was the owner of the bar, I would have given him all of his money back, plus Baht 50 to go and buy something to eat ! What a Twit to admit to doing something like this !![/size]

Edited by petercool
edit for type size
  • Like 2