Hellish Experience Coming Back Home From Suvarnabhumi Airport-Who Is At The Top To Take Action

discoverdb10

Like the other guy said, I watch until he starts the meter. Within the first few seconds, I'm threatening to get out if they don't comply. This has happened at Swampy & some nice downtown hotels. I get a few grouchy replies, but in the end they always start the meter, and no more problems from there. Once, a taxi tried one of those scams where they exit the airport, try to pull over the side of the tollroad & pass you to another taxi. I insisted he not stop (had to say it like 5 times, more emphatically each time) and he went on to my destination. I don't quite understand how that particular scam works, but others on TV have mentioned it. Among my fears is losing my bag in the confusion of changing cabs on the side of the tollroad.

There are rotten apples in every case. Most of the taxi drivers are polite and friendly. Especially those who are authorised by the port authority.

Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world for tourist yet I always warn my friends to watch their bags/wallets because there will always be somewhere a drunk punk or a pick pocket.

the other night, 4 of us, (2 thais 2 farangs) (not what you think ok) young taxi driver, turned the cd volume up so loud we could not talk to each other, i berated him and he opened the door and took his hands off the steering wheel, i didnt have far to go, but my friends live out at Bearing , thinking more on this subject in the light of day, this was done, as the driver did not agree with, his 2 thai passengers with 2 farangs, (the old jealousy theory)

While I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the OP's story, posting pictures identifying the culprit seems pretty close to defamation.

And the fact that the OP has 2 posts, both on this thread, would make Thai Visa look pretty negligent if it came to a defamation suit.

Could just be a troll post simply to damage the guy's reputation.

You apparently don't take too many taxis. Although there are many good taxis there are also often scumbags driving them. We have no reason to believe this one is a troll.

• Like 2

Thumbs up to OP and his wife.

Instead of lodging a complaint with appropriate department or police, choice was made to post on thai visa.

Without sounding racist, but having lots of experience with Indian visitors , their side of story always skips a few chapters of what they did or said before other person looses their cool.

Well you are sounding VERY racist! There is nothing in the OP's story that suggests he is an Indian. He simply arrived on a flight from India. Every international flight I have ever been on has had a big variety on nationalities on board.

You have assumed the OP is an Indian and declared him to be a liar because of that so now we know who the real racist is.

• Like 2

I travel through the airport regularly and have done for 30 years (Don Muaeng before of course) and never had any real problems. Did have one taxi "forget" to put the meter on but pointed it out to him and the fact that he would get what was shown on the meter and he promptly turned it on.

I think there is a bit more to this story than meets the eye

• Like 1

Should have slapped him in the back of the head the first time he cursed.

Ummm... do you recall the story of the American who was stabbed to death by a cabbie who kept a samuri sword in the car? All caught on video. You may think you're a tough guy, but I'm not sure how well you'll do against a sword (unless, of course, you pass fully armed through airport security yourself).

Here's the video to jog your memory:

Edited by Docno

It seems to happen pretty often now. Friends of mine had the same experience. Coming from the airport and driver refused to turn on the meter. Foul language and threats used by the driver. So much for a warm welcome to our Thailand.

Another couple of friends had issues all the time they spend in Bangkok. Even so that they said they don't want to come back to Thailand. Those rogue taxi drivers are spoiling it for all other drivers as well as the rest of the country. Actually they are traitors to their country Thailand as they damage the country reputation and make that some foreigners will not come here to spend their money anymore. Traitors to their country, that's what cheating taxis are!

• Like 2

As a regular traveller you should know to watch for him turning the meter on as soon as you get inside the car.

The last time this happened to me after a 11 hour flight from Europe I told him to stop the car as I'm getting out, he hadn't left the airport at this stage because I noticed it immediately.

He backed down, turned the meter on and the journey was uneventful.

basic rules for taking a taxi in bangkok; (anyone spending any length of time here should know this)

- never take a taxi driver that is waiting at a tourist place or who approaches you always flag one down

- if the driver quotes a price shut the door and wait for the next one

- once in the taxi check the meter has been started. if it hasn't tell the driver to start it - in my experience they always have

follow these simple rules and you will avoid many problems and being ripped off

as a post script; i know bangkok pretty well and almost every time a take a taxi the driver goes the most direct way, in fact i cant remember the last time a driver tried to elongate the journey.

• Like 1

While I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the OP's story, posting pictures identifying the culprit seems pretty close to defamation.

And the fact that the OP has 2 posts, both on this thread, would make Thai Visa look pretty negligent if it came to a defamation suit.

Could just be a troll post simply to damage the guy's reputation.

You apparently don't take too many taxis. Although there are many good taxis there are also often scumbags driving them. We have no reason to believe this one is a troll.

In 4 years of living in downtown BKK, I take taxis on pretty much a daily basis, and to Swampy several times a month. While I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the OP's story... I have had excellent to horrible experiences with BKK taxis. To be honest, I avoid them if possible simply because the BTS and MRT are so convenient and go most places I need to go.

But when I see someone's very first post being long, detailed, and extremely negative, my first inkling is that it could be a troll post.

Whether it is a troll post or not- has nothing to do with my point...

He's posted pictures of a Thai guy, and made claims that could harm the guy's business and reputation. Right or wrong, that's a defamation suit in the making.

Edited by impulse

as a post script; i know bangkok pretty well and almost every time a take a taxi the driver goes the most direct way, in fact i cant remember the last time a driver tried to elongate the journey.

I know it like the back of my hand, so last night when the driver, (20 years experience) told us from Yanhee hospital to Rama 2 was quicker to go via Bang khae I knew he was lying. Looking it up on the map he took us 8k further than needed. Do they really deserve a pay rise? some do, but a lot do not as round and round the garden will go on, along with rigged meters, no go, moanong about how far the place is or driving like an idiot. The best taxi drivers are actually women, but not many around.

Edited by jacky54

Thumbs up to OP and his wife.

Instead of lodging a complaint with appropriate department or police, choice was made to post on thai visa.

Without sounding racist, but having lots of experience with Indian visitors , their side of story always skips a few chapters of what they did or said before other person looses their cool.

Well you are sounding VERY racist! There is nothing in the OP's story that suggests he is an Indian. He simply arrived on a flight from India. Every international flight I have ever been on has had a big variety on nationalities on board.

You have assumed the OP is an Indian and declared him to be a liar because of that so now we know who the real racist is.

Come on unless your white you can't complain about Thais. You know that.. just like when an Brit driver runs away from an accident its not the same as when a Thai driver does it. There is one set of rules for whites and an other for everyone who is not white. Don't forget there are a lot of racists here on Thaivisa.

• Like 1

As a regular traveller you should know to watch for him turning the meter on as soon as you get inside the car.

The last time this happened to me after a 11 hour flight from Europe I told him to stop the car as I'm getting out, he hadn't left the airport at this stage because I noticed it immediately.

I totally agree with you but sometimes being used to polite and honest taxi drivers who i have always encountered ; i took that for granted and i know i should not have made the slip. This was one bad apple who is a minority where in Bangkok i have had the most pleasant experience. Also the fact that i wanted to avoid the tollway as there is a much shorter route home which saves me about THB 200 and that extra that he could not make riled him more.

I totally agree with you but sometimes being used to polite and honest taxi drivers who i have always encountered ; i took that for granted and i know i should not have made the slip. This was one bad apple who is a minority where in Bangkok i have had the most pleasant experience.

Just to give you additional perspective regarding where you are, posting this taxi driver's behavior and photo qualifies you to be sued for defamation. Being right is irrelevant in LOS and you should know that.

thanks for posting this thread. i have his pics.

the taxi guy got mad because you would not take the toll road and tried to save some money. they snatch the paper like that with me also, actually the kiosk attendant now just gives it directly to the driver when i reach for it.

With the new automated system, the kiosk attendant gives you a slip of paper that tells you in which parking spot your taxi is waiting for you. Taxi drivers don't even have to get out of their cars, except to help with luggage.

3 trips with the new system and my waiting times have been 8 minutes on one trip, 30 seconds on the next, and walk right out to my waiting taxi- no queuing at all.

I haven't yet used the new automated taxi system at Suvarnabhumi but it does seem to be an increase in the number of taxis refusing to use meters from there under this new system. If my flight arrives within the operation of the airport link and I don't have too many bags - I always use that - but sometimes a taxi is required - it worries me that under the new system taxi drivers feel more emporwered to refuse the meter.

Ask for the meter before you get in, if they say no, don't get in.

Especially midnight till 6 am. The late night will not attract the best and brightest drivers to swampy,

nor the most honest and least inclined to all night yabba use to get through their shifts.

Another example of why I have stopped using taxis and only use Uber.

I arrived back to Bangkok last week after midnight and had a very pleasant ride home in a comfortable Uber car with a very friendly professional driver.

If you book a Uber or Grab Taxi, where would you arrange to get picked up at S'bhum airport?

When you walk out of the baggage claim exit you cross the area with the taxis and there is an island there where you can wait for non-taxis to pick you up. Uber cars are standing by very near the airport so when I get my bag at baggage claim I request Uber. Usually by the time I walk out and get to the pickup area, the driver is approaching. I've done this several times and it has worked perfectly.

• Like 2

If you book a Uber or Grab Taxi, where would you arrange to get picked up at S'bhum airport?

Interesting question. I was at Swampy on Thursday night and they were pulling aside empty taxis as they tried to enter the departure area. They had about 6 of them pulled aside when we got there.

Our taxi, with passengers, was waved right through the checkpoint. They had a moving gate that allowed them to stop each taxi to see if it had passengers. First time I have seen this- or maybe just the first time I noticed it.

Our (then empty) taxi picked up a couple of ladies at the departure area, and that didn't seem to be causing any issues. But they didn't seem to be letting any empty taxis pass.

There is an area on the arrivals level just beyond the taxi stand that's for regular cars to pickup arriving passengers. That's where the Uber cars pick you up. There isn't an issue for a normal car to drive there.

Ok, for a start the meter said 130 and you gave the driver 150 ... most people know that there is an airport pick up surcharge of 50 baht .... so in fact you underpaid him by 30 baht, and did not give any "extra".

I am also thinking that you may have omitted parts of the story here. I deal with many Indian clients in my work and most of them are very hard to deal with as they constantly try and cut what is required to be paid, over and over again. Even when we explain, they repeat the same rubbish over and over again, trying to pretend that they do not understand. Why did your wife have to speak to the driver ? You are a frequent visitor.

I don't get how you can spend a considerable sum of money to get here, and yet you are making a big thing about the highway. The driver does not make on this. It's early hours of the morning, you are on your own, common sense should tell you to be polite and not argue with any Thai person, let alone taxi driver. You have chosen to use a taxi and so the highway is normally standard.

You should acknowledge the driver with a nod, smile and say meter krup before getting in. Once they start the journey make sure that the meter is on. Do not stupidly wait till the journey is nearly completed. Too late.

I have taken airport taxi over 100 times, and I can swear hand on heart ... I have never had a problem .... they always use the meter. Of course in town I have had the same experiences as everyone has had ... par for the course .... but I deal with it.

Are you sure that you have told the whole story about what was said ? My considerable dealings with Indians have shown them to be economical with the truth. Maybe you upset the driver in some way ? I am not judging you, it could be that the driver has had a problem with Indians in the past ..... but if I were a betting man .... I think this is a case of som nam na as opposed to poor farang.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Mr SOMCHAY WISESWONGKHA -10187 TAXI Number 466

Why are you moaning to us? You can contact the Land Transport Department Hotline on 1584

He'll probably be fined 1000 Baht if you are lucky!

agree ... complain to the transport department, not us .... we already know they're scum.