Survey. Did you do a valve check/adjustment on your scooter/bike

CarlTyson

I faithfully take my Honda scooter to the dealer for regular service to keep the warranty book updated.

All they ever do is change the motor oil and gear oil. They never even check air filter or the oil filter screen. (I did it myself)

Nothing else is inspected or recommended by them.

The owners manual I have is in Thai language so I am not sure of the service intervals but I'm pretty sure the valves should be checked at 600K then at 2,500K and so on. (I bought some wrenches to do the valve check myself)

QUESTION:
How many scooter/bike owners do a valve inspection I am wondering?

Good topic.

Yes, checking valve lash is not something the shop is going to volunteer.

I've never heard of the 600 & 2500km recommendation though.

More like 20,000.

I had a CBR250 checked at 22,ooo km and it required no adjustment.

I had a 46,ooo km Raider checked and all four valves were out of spec.

When I took a Nouvo in for a 4ooo km service they tried the just change oil thing.

I had the service manual with me and pointed to the list of checks Yamaha recommends, and said "please do all"

to the service manager.

He did, personally.

THB100 tip then.

Edited by papa al

I checked a wave once at around 10000 and it was fine. Fiddly job, especially on pcx, click etc where the engine is buried inside. I think most are fine up around 20k. I never keep one long enough or get the milage up enough to worry about it. The are pretty understressed engines. On the hand, my KTM race bike needed adjustments every 30 hours. 15 if you actuall race it!

I always do all service myself and do all things that are recommended in the manual. Mostly valves are within specs. But thats the same with most other things that need to be checked. Still its better to check than not to check imo. For me the fiddling is part of the fun with bikes.

• Like 1

Briggsy , with respect , these are Honda mechanics , in Honda overalls , in a Honda workshop. They are "meant" to be trained , and supervised , by --- Honda. And Honda is "meant" to ensure they do a correct job. Working to a shedule and service specification set by Honda .On Honda badged products , even if Honda ( Japan ) didnt build them. If not , why have the "Honda" dealers in the first place. Many owners trust , and expect , a correct job to be done - not asking too much is it ? . As i recomended , find a decent workshop , and find out what they are "meant" to do , or do it yourself. First check at 1,000 KM is important , as most of the wear will have taken place by then.

You have been fooled. A Honda dealer is precisely that, a dealer selling Honda bikes. They are NOT A.P. Honda which is the joint venture manufacturing Honda motorcycles in Thailand. In Pattaya, almost every dealership is a Mit Yon dealership. In Sri Racha you have Eastern and Yan Yon. In other provinces, you have other monopolies or dealership cartels.

The only A P Honda workshop I know in Thailand is the Big Wing Centre in Bangkok. Other Big Wing showrooms are dealerships.

So, don't be fooled by the Honda shirts. These mechanics up and down the country don't work for A.P. Honda and they don't answer to A.P. Honda. They are employees of dealerships and they do as they please.

• Like 1

You need to find a garage / workshop in which the mechanics are under a strong manager or head mechanic. They need to feel they are not free to do or omit jobs as they wish. A P Honda plays no role in this and are remote from the daily routine of servicing bikes in Thailand. I know Honda set up a technical college or an automotive engineering programme within a technical college to train its factory workers to Por Wor Chor and Por Wor Sor level and to a standard they are comfortable with. Perhaps there is a Honda-supervised workshop attached to the college but this is only conjecture on my part. I don't even know where the college is.

• Like 1

You need to find a garage / workshop in which the mechanics are under a strong manager or head mechanic.

+1 - good Thai mechanics are out there, word of mouth helped me find mine. Also for the car - retired Nissan maintenance supervisor. Took a long time, but worth their weight in Tong.