NRC: police reform to take place in three months

Lite Beer

NRC: police reform to take place in three months

29-12-2557-18-32-03-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- 2015 will be a year of reforms in various aspects for Thailand with police reform expected to take place in three months’ time, said spokesmen of the National Reform Council at a press conference today.

The spokesmen include Mr Alongkorn Polabutr, Mr Wanchai Sornsiri and Mr Kobsak Phumitrakul.

The trio outlined two major tasks of the NRC as the drafting of the new constitution and a reform blueprint which will affect major changes in four areas namely the government sector, the private sector, the people sector and the political sector.

The NRC will meet every Monday and Tuesday to speed up the drafting of the sustainable reform blueprint. “Nothing can stop the reform process,” declared Mr Alongkorn.

Mr Wanchai said that the Thai public would witness the changes next year which include decentralization, transparent administration and stringent examination of malpractices.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nrc-police-reform-take-place-three-months

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-29

Reform of the Royal Thai Police Force is long overdue and if done with integrity very welcome.

Next inline is hopefully a similarly long overdue reform of the armed forces and it's grossly top heavy personnel structure and end of conscription to make way for a streamlined professional service.

They first seriously started talking about this back in May 2014, then in June they promised it would be completed within this year, and now it's gonna be another 3 months longer.

I think they all need to take a step back, keep their mouths shut, seriously look at what the problems are and how to fix them, and THEN implement a carefully reasoned and structured plan to implement the changes in a considered manner.

But who am I kidding ... that never happens here and won't this time. Same as with the "reforms" in politics. Everything will be rushed, will massively favor one side, and in 4 years they'll start all over again.

I'll have to get off this merry-go-round one day, it's getting tiring now going around and around in circles.

• Like 1

I cross my fingers for it not to become like one of the many promises Chalerm made, and did not keep... Time to change the branding, the packaging, and start afresh with new (law abiding, dedicated, ...honest) new people. Rase the building, it's beyond salvation, and, on fresh ground, build a new one, from groundwork up! Some guys from the past (below the rank of LtColonel) can be allowed back, but new rules and lower ranks, under probation, and under strict conditions: you fail one yearly evaluation, you leave at once, you walk outside the line one time, you're out, no inactive post, instantaneous dishounarable dismissal, period! But, Thai State, this time pay the new force decent wages too, at last!

• Like 1

More empty words!!

Not a mention of which way the police-force is going to be reformed!!

Did you read more than the head line?

Mr Wanchai said that the Thai public would witness the changes next year which include decentralization, transparent administration and stringent examination of malpractices.

3 months ,that must be the projected time it will take

to set up 1000's of inactive posts throughout the country.

Don t think anyone is strong enough or has the balls to

make the required changes that really need to be made

to the Police force,theres too much money involved,and

it will be difficult to dismantle the largest criminal organization

in Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

More empty words!!

blah, blah, blah, blah, did i miss something.

More empty words!!

blah, blah, blah, blah, did i miss something.

No. That about covers it.

More empty words and hollow promises from an illegitimate government.

There are many ways to root out corruption but transferring them to inactive posts will never produce results. I wonder how many can actually say they've never taken payment for a so-called service? Army, RTP and Politicians ... spot the difference ... there is none.

How can a man, in this case the General, stand there and call for reform when he himself committed a criminal act; namely treason?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

More empty words!!

Well to be expected you post a negative comment

The way it will be structured already mentioned several times with enough initial detail. But don't let that get in your way to be negative.

How do you reform an institution thats corrupt to its core ? You don't and you can't, you must totally dismantle it and rebuild from start. The police (and the civil service) is like a window frame thats been eaten by termites. On the outside it looks fine, but you can push a hole in it with your finger. When this stage is reached it doesn't help to only kill the termites you must breakout the old frame and replace it with a new one. The reforms thats proposed will kill some of the termites and put a new layer of varnish on the frame, but its still hollow/weak. It's not about been negative, its about ringing changes that will have real impact and will change things for the good in the country. If we need to go through pain lets make it worth our while by doing a good job.

• Like 1

"... police reform expected to take place in three months’ time ..."

Only if it is done illegally - such an irony. The Constitution must be approved first and the earliest that will happen, without any public referendum, is probably Summer 2015. A constitutional referendum could add another three months.

And since when does the NRC have the authority to make such an announcement? The NRC has no legislative power to actually approve and implement police reform; that is the role of the NLA. And realistically, the NLA must get its guidance from the NCPO before it legislates anything.

I hope part of the reforms will include police men doing policing work rather than collecting money for their retirement fund.And when people even tourists have a problem or need help can go to a trustworthy policeman for help and not have to pay some extortionate fee to the corrupt policeman

I recommend they get rid of the (Foreigner) Tourist Police in Pattaya, Phuket, and Ko Samui - I honestly can't see their function - 'cept to parade around as Police wanna bees - I have read plenty of posts on TV and 96% are negative - If they want a professional police force, then expand the Thai Tourist Police, and hire interpreters.