Samui Koh Phangan and Koh Toa weather and beach conditions 2015

I thought starting a new thread for 2015 weather and beach conditions, for the islands, might be a good idea...

It's going to need the help from local members on all islands, to post for different areas, perhaps just when conditons are not favorable... many areas can be quite different... from each other, even on the same day!

Even a few kilometers can make a difference! ....

New Years day, seemed to bring a good change with calmer seas and even some sunshine, at least on the north end of Samui... although this morning we seem to be back to cloud and a bit of wind! w00t.gif

I hope we can find a few volunteers to help post conditions in other areas, as needed... Perhaps we should say that if nothing posted for a while, conditions are good! thumbsup.gif

Perhaps Rooo could add a link to previous years, in case anyone wishes to compare! (?)

Link to old thread with historical data, found here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608689-whats-the-weather-doing-now/

Edited by Rooo
Link

Interesting development just North of Borneo. If this develops into a typhoon there are two possibilities; either it turns northwest into the Gulf, which would bring lots of rain and considerable wind our way in the next 5 or 6 days, or it heads straight West over Singapore in which case all the moist air and wind is drawn to it and we can experience dead calm and clear skies by next week.

post-90962-0-25860500-1420180458_thumb.j

I live in Phuket for the last three years. Before Phuket we lived in Samui for six years. The last few years we left in Nov. and returned mid Jan. Nov. Dec. the weather sucks and the streets flood. A few years the water was up over my pick up hood in Lamai and Chewang. We moved after my friend who was in charge of a water treatment plant in Sweden tested the water in Jan. Feb. March and April and it was off the scales with fecal bacteria. I haven't had eye and ear problems since we left.

I live in Phuket for the last three years. Before Phuket we lived in Samui for six years. The last few years we left in Nov. and returned mid Jan. Nov. Dec. the weather sucks and the streets flood. A few years the water was up over my pick up hood in Lamai and Chewang. We moved after my friend who was in charge of a water treatment plant in Sweden tested the water in Jan. Feb. March and April and it was off the scales with fecal bacteria. I haven't had eye and ear problems since we left.

This is just so unfair- I had just finished brushing my teeth while beginning your curious post. The fresh menthol taste was still in my mouth when I got to "fecal bacteria."

Maenam

If you ask your friend to check the water in Phuket, you will find it is more or less the same as Samui. Small klongs with untreated water run straight into the sea all over both islands.

In the last few years the local government has improved the drainage system dramatically.

Flooding now is a lot more rare - unless very high tides prevent the flood water from entering the sea. Then you might have to wait for a low tide or two.

Choengmon used to be flooded for weeks at a time - not recently.

Travellers used to be stranded at the airport or in their hotels - again, not recently. Major improvements. Do not believe all of the 'doom and gloom' merchants who complain about Samui's infrastructure. Yes it needs work - but it is much better than 'the good old days!' that some people long for.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What's with the weather? sad.png

Very heavy rains on and off around Maenam area these last few days... woke me several times over night..

Forecast not looking good for the rest of this week and early next... winds forecast which may cause hazardous conditions on some beach areas, perhaps boating too?

http://weather.weatherbug.com/Thailand/Ko%20Samui-weather/local-forecast/detailed-forecast.html?zcode=z6286&units=1

In the last few years the local government has improved the drainage system dramatically.

Flooding now is a lot more rare - unless very high tides prevent the flood water from entering the sea. Then you might have to wait for a low tide or two.

Choengmon used to be flooded for weeks at a time - not recently.

Travellers used to be stranded at the airport or in their hotels - again, not recently. Major improvements. Do not believe all of the 'doom and gloom' merchants who complain about Samui's infrastructure. Yes it needs work - but it is much better than 'the good old days!' that some people long for.

There never was any flooding 30 years ago and the wise men of Samui filled in the Laem Din lake which was a natural watershed and made billions on the reclaimed land. Here is a pic before the landfill, a man made problem for selfish gain !

post-90689-0-18801300-1421286364_thumb.j

Edited by crusty

There never was any flooding 30 years ago and the wise men of Samui filled in the Laem Din lake which was a natural watershed and made billions on the reclaimed land. Here is a pic before the landfill, a man made problem for selfish gain !

Hi Crusty - love your photos. Thank you. Just to raise two thoughts. (There are probably more.)

There may have been flooding 30 years ago - but there were no roads to enable tourists to see it! When I talk to locals who remember those days, whilst the flooding may be less in volume, it still made their lives very miserable and it made travelling even more difficult. But nobody really wanted to travel then anyway???

The 'man made' problem was created by tourists. The first visitors went home and told their friends what a great place Samui was. Their friends then told their friends and so it went on. Suddenly - a million visitors a year.

It was only when boatloads of people started arriving that the locals saw a demand and thus a way to make money.

30 years ago there were no septic tanks on the island. The sewerage from hotels HAD to go into the sea. No one complained then! Everybody tells me that Samui and life were great.

So who is really to blame. Those people wanting accomodation, or the people providing it. wink.png

Just some thoughts to ponder over wai.gif

Sorry - we have wondered off topic.

A little bit of rain here at the pointy end over the last few days - but verrry rough seas. Mind you - the fishing boats were putting out to sea this morning!thumbsup.gif

Hi Crusty - love your photos. Thank you. Just to raise two thoughts. (There are probably more.)

There may have been flooding 30 years ago - but there were no roads to enable tourists to see it! When I talk to locals who remember those days, whilst the flooding may be less in volume, it still made their lives very miserable and it made travelling even more difficult. But nobody really wanted to travel then anyway???

The 'man made' problem was created by tourists. The first visitors went home and told their friends what a great place Samui was. Their friends then told their friends and so it went on. Suddenly - a million visitors a year.

It was only when boatloads of people started arriving that the locals saw a demand and thus a way to make money.

30 years ago there were no septic tanks on the island. The sewerage from hotels HAD to go into the sea. No one complained then! Everybody tells me that Samui and life were great.

So who is really to blame. Those people wanting accomodation, or the people providing it. wink.png

Just some thoughts to ponder over wai.gif

Sorry - we have wondered off topic.

A little bit of rain here at the pointy end over the last few days - but verrry rough seas. Mind you - the fishing boats were putting out to sea this morning!thumbsup.gif

Some good points but to sustain successful tourism involves careful planning, something that Samui lacks. Already there is insufficient road space for the increased traffic, a failed garbage system, insufficient water supply and unreliable electricity supply surely it is time to limit the amount of tourists, something The Seychelles and The Maldives have done successfully. With the last few years of skinhead, tattooed sub humans flooding in they won't be missed.

Very heavy rains on and off around Maenam area these last few days... woke me several times over night..

Forecast not looking good for the rest of this week and early next... winds forecast which may cause hazardous conditions on some beach areas, perhaps boating too?

http://weather.weatherbug.com/Thailand/Ko%20Samui-weather/local-forecast/detailed-forecast.html?zcode=z6286&units=1

Give over Jimmy, the weathers great!! Everything's great The tourists are loving it! I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t.gif

Give over Jimmy, the weathers great!! Everything's great The tourists are loving it! I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t.gif

Do I detect a little bit of sarcasm Carmine? whistling.gif

I am liking to cool too, but only the garden is liking the rain! tongue.png

• 1 month later...

I am just back from a few days R & R on KPN.

Beach and sea conditions on the north west are very good. A bit of seaweed around at low tide, but not a major issue. On Mae Haad - the resorts keep the beaches nice and clean.

One small problem though. People! Mae Haad Bay Resort was full and lots of people on the beaches sad.png

post-79343-0-91321200-1424070749_thumb.j

post-79343-0-06794400-1424070779_thumb.j

Seaweed

post-79343-0-69568900-1424071343_thumb.j

Yep thumbsup.gif it's a popular spot over there ... I was over there last week too, but you got a better sunset Tropo! tongue.pngsad.png

Island View, has at least six workers groom the beach in the morning.... (Now owned by Haad Salad Resort... big changes coming there...I think it will loss it's charm!)

I had to wait three days for Island View Resort, next to yours had a room available before they called me!

Maehaad Beach....

Phangan%2BFeb%2B-0092.jpg

Plump Red Snapper, Tuna, and Barracuda there too!

Phangan%2BFeb%2B-0131.jpg

Wishie washy sunset.... but still not bad! Lots of Squid boats setting up for the nights fishing!

Phangan%2BFeb%2B-0138.jpg

Several Thai's have said lately it's going to be a very dry season coming up .... both on Samui and Phangan, I've heard that recently .....

• 1 month later...

It looks like a bit of a change in the nice weather, coming this week... A few rumbles of thunder in Maenam this morning with cloudy skies...

Perhaps a little rain coming coming mid week? ....., looking at some of the forecast maps....

But this may be a case of short 5 or 10 minute showers or headed a few kilometers around the island!, but some rain is certainly needed! wink.png

One source map here...

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/Ko+Samui+Thailand+THXX0046:1:TH

• 1 month later...

Cloud burst in Maenam around lunch time..... Soi 2 area seemed to be worst hit....ohmy.png

Definitely isolated rain in some areas.... I drove to Central and back to Maenam, without a drop of rain...

maenam%2B-3171.jpg

Near Honda shop, too, but not as bad....

maenam%2B-3173.jpg