New Year death toll rises to 190 on third 'dangerous' day

Lite Beer

New Year death toll rises to 190 on third 'dangerous' day

BANGKOK: -- The death toll of road accidents during the so-called seven dangerous New Year holidays rose to 190 on the third day on New Year day, the Road Safety Centre announced Friday.

So far, 1,782 others were injured in the accumulated number of 1,737 accidents. On the third day alone, 604 road accidents occurred, killing 60 people and injuring 625 others.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/New-Year-death-toll-rises-to-190-on-third-dangerou-30251100.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-02

Impressive statistics!!......is Thailand actually aiming for the number 1 position of road fatalities?

190 deaths in 3 days.........it's just staggering!......many probably preventable with law enforcement......most just ignorant, stupid drivers and riders.

• Like 1

The Interior Minister doesn't seem bothered by the stats.

He is quite happy to keep the masses ignorant.

Natural selection is at work though and all the idiots will kill themselves off with time.

Don't feel sorry for the deaths as they believe in Karma and that they'll come back again so there's no problem and please don't say RIP as they don't rest anywhere.

Not a bad effort, Western Australia managed 184 road deaths for the year 10 more than last year, one thing in defence of Thailand's miserable effort is they have 70 million people W.A. has 2 million, over the 7 day break 1 fatality so far. what the break down per head of population is I have no Idea.coffee1.gif

Three-day death toll now stands at 190

1-2-2015-3-05-58-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Road Safety Centre said Friday that death toll from road accidents in the three-day period of the seven dangerous days now reach 190.

The centre said since the start of the seven dangerous day on December 30 until January 1, a total of 190 people were killed and 1,782 injured in 1,737 cases of road mishaps.

For January 1 which is the third day of the dangerous period, 60 people died and 625 were injured in 604 accidents.

Major cause of the fatalities remain to be drunk driving, 49.17%, followed by speeding, 24.17%.

Motorcycle is the vehicle which involved in most accidents or 85.14%, and most accidents happened on straight-stretch roadways in tambon and villages, 64.24%, followed by straight sections on highways, 36.42%.

Critical time of most accidents is between 00.01-04.00 am, 24.83%, and most fatalities are those in working ages.

Chiang Mai continued to be the province with highest accidents of 71 cases, while Phetchabun and Buriram recorded the highest accumulated deaths of nine each.

Provinces which have no road fatalities during the three day period are Trang, Nakhon Phanom, Narathiwat, Phatthalung, Phichit, Mae Hong Son, Yasothorn, Lamphun, Satun, Singburi, Suphanburi, and Uttaradit.

Samut Prakarn and Chachoengsao are two provinces where there was no injury from accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-day-death-toll-now-stands-190

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-02

• Like 1

Please have a bit of respect for the dead, if that is at all possible. Remember these are people we are talking about.

I wonder if any poster would make such callous and heartless comments if a member of his or her family became a statistic. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

If this many people were killed in one day in a war, people would be protesting in the streets, calling for an end to the war. In Thailand, all they do is count the fatalities - and hope that somehow, by some miracle, things will change - in spite of the fact that they keep on doing the same (stupid) things.

Every driver assumes that he's going to be the one who is able to avoid an accident while driving drunk, thinking smugly to himself, "It's those other idiots who aren't able to drive while being totally inebriated. Me? I can do it - because I have had so much practice at it. The fact that I'm still alive is proof that I'm gifted at driving drunk." Well, we're all lucky - until statistics catch up with us.

Actually I don't even really mind when drunk drivers kill themselves. The problem comes when they take innocent people with them.

Your last two sentences are spot on.

Please have a bit of respect for the dead, if that is at all possible. Remember these are people we are talking about.

I wonder if any poster would make such callous and heartless comments if a member of his or her family became a statistic. thumbsup.gif

I respect the dead that fall from the sky at 32,000 feet! Perhaps these people should have respect for the living and think about there actions before deciding to get behind the wheel and effectively becoming a murderer! Harsh? Maybe.......

STOP calling these " The dangerous days" . The yearly death toll from the carnage

on highways is 26,000 people per year. This works out to 71 people dying every

single day of the year. So on any given three days of the year, 213 people will

have die . If 190 have died in the last three days, that represents a savings of

23 people over the norm. So I propose a name change to the "The Seven Safe

Days". wai2.gif

You shouldn't compare foreign NGO statisrics with "Thai" statistics; they don't add up.

(Thai statistics are much lower as they count fatal injuries differently)

STOP calling these " The dangerous days" . The yearly death toll from the carnage

have die . If 190 have died in the last three days, that represents a savings of

Days". wai2.gif

You shouldn't compare foreign NGO statisrics with "Thai" statistics; they don't add up.

You are right about one thing, it certainly does not make sense that the

daily carnage toll on Thai roads should go down during the holidays.

So yeah, apparently some serious undercounting...

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Days". wai2.gif

So really 300 people have died, and these really are the dangerous days ?

You are right about one thing, it certainly does not make sense that the

daily carnage toll on Thai roads should go down during the holidays.

So yeah, apparently some serious undercounting...

I read in another thread that Thais only count someone as "died in traffic" when he dies at the spot. If you are barely alive and die on your way to the hospital they count you as "injured".

International agencies count every death caused by traffic no matter if you die on the spot, or in the hospital 2 weeks later.

If this many people were killed in one day in a war, people would be protesting in the streets, calling for an end to the war. In Thailand, all they do is count the fatalities - and hope that somehow, by some miracle, things will change - in spite of the fact that they keep on doing the same (stupid) things.

Every driver assumes that he's going to be the one who is able to avoid an accident while driving drunk, thinking smugly to himself, "It's those other idiots who aren't able to drive while being totally inebriated. Me? I can do it - because I have had so much practice at it. The fact that I'm still alive is proof that I'm gifted at driving drunk." Well, we're all lucky - until statistics catch up with us.

Actually I don't even really mind when drunk drivers kill themselves. The problem comes when they take innocent people with them.

There were more US citizens killed on the roads during the Viet Nam war than soldiers. I suspect the same or similar numbers apply to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Don't be so precious.

Quote:STOP calling these " The dangerous days" . The yearly death toll from the carnage

Days". wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci

I was about to post on this as well, but you hit the nail already.

Media screeming on how many people dead, but they never tell you how many just dy on a daily basis.

So no reason for concern. + or - but that's all in the game at special events.

Remember black saterday in France when all the herds go on vacation?

Thought Thaivisa could figure all this out for the members instead of just ringing the bell.

All is relative as the farmer's woman said when her husband was chasing her around the table. If I can walk a little faster, I am chasing you.

On behalf of this panicing data there is no reason at all to set up huge plans to reduce road victems just for special holidays.

Whatever...was already far tooo late.

Not a bad effort, Western Australia managed 184 road deaths for the year 10 more than last year, one thing in defence of Thailand's miserable effort is they have 70 million people W.A. has 2 million, over the 7 day break 1 fatality so far. what the break down per head of population is I have no Idea.coffee1.gif

Is that for the whole of 2014 ??

From Thai Visa headlines today - I think some editor has a hangover, or placement problem!!</p>

Well, check out the standard road fatality statistics, which show that normally there are more road fatalities, so in that sense the interior minister is correct.

I respect the dead that fall from the sky at 32,000 feet! Perhaps these people should have respect for the living and think about there actions before deciding to get behind the wheel and effectively becoming a murderer! Harsh? Maybe.......

Harsh - yes, because probably a lot of those deaths are probably innocents who just happened to be in the way of a drunken driver.And your inane comments about dead falling out of the sky is totally uncalled for, especially at this time of year in the wake of the recent air disaster - totally insensitive.

From Thai Visa headlines today - I think some editor has a hangover, or placement problem!!</p>

Well, check out the standard road fatality statistics, which show that normally there are more road fatalities, so in that sense the interior minister is correct.

I stand corrected, but I just thought that to have those two sentences running consecutively seemed a bit hypocritical! (Only 190 dead in 3 days? Thank goodness the roads are safe then!)