French man found hanged in Koh Tao with his hands tied behind his back – foul play suspected

Lite Beer

Sadly i don,t think the majority of the foreigners get that. Seem to have the attitude i will do anything i please. It has reached a boiling point from all the disrespect over the years. Perhaps it is payback time.

To all the foreigners visiting or living here in Thailand just please be careful not to bump-heads w the locals.I grew up here and I've visited almost all places in TH(part of my job too).I can speak Thai and honestly I never had a prob w them but then again I'm Southeast Asian too.They just don't like foreigners who disrespect them in their own country no matter who they are or what they are.

Just please avoid getting in a fight w them.That's the first rule to keep in mind when coming here.

No conspiracy theories on this one please.

blink.png

Rest in peace to the victim.

Hands tied behind back? DUH!

No killer would be daft enough to not untie the hands after the hanging.

I suspect someone trying to get the arrest of the real murderers of the other two foreigners did it to set them up.

Condolences to the family and friends.

Why on earth people still go there on holiday is beyond me.

• Like 1

To all the foreigners visiting or living here in Thailand just please be careful not to bump-heads w the locals.I grew up here and I've visited almost all places in TH(part of my job too).I can speak Thai and honestly I never had a prob w them but then again I'm Southeast Asian too.They just don't like foreigners who disrespect them in their own country no matter who they are or what they are.

Just please avoid getting in a fight w them.That's the first rule to keep in mind when coming here.

Should really be described as common sense. Not liking being disrespected by a foreigner in your own country is a character trait not exclusive to the Thais. However, it is how it is handled. It is more often than not about business, women, traffic etc. I was recently at a holiday resort in the far south of Thailand frequented by a lot of young backpackers. If they could understand Thai and the way the young local Thai men spoke about them they would be horrified. Especially the women. I was shocked and disgusted and found it hard to keep my mouth shut. But I did. For the very reason you state here. Self-preservation
You are right that it's supposed to be just a common sense.Unfortunately, there are many who do not use it.

I've heard many foreigners saying bad stuff about Thailand and its people while actually working or living here.There were several times in the sky train where foreigners were saying bad stuff about Thais while being surrounded by Thais...they probably thought no one understand them.

I'm very aware what Thais are capable of saying and doing, that's why even if I seem to come as a broken tape recorder I keep reminding foreigners to be extra careful.

You see there are countries which can take/tolerate being disrespected in their own soil but Thailand is not one of those/them.

Edited by Serendipity24

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"... the body of a 29 year old French murder suicide Koh Tao man was found hanging from the ceiling of his rented bungalow."

The prevalent official police theory is that two Burmese men escaped from jail, hanged the victim and snuck back into their cells without anyone noticing. alt=whistling.gif>

Elementary, my dear Watson!!!thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

If CSI LA are not a reputable source how come they publish stories hours before TV and are in the USA??

And have more information??

Strange.. politics??

They get the information from the Thai language press which invariably publishes the stories before the BKK Post, Nation etc and with more details too.

Sadly i don,t think the majority of the foreigners get that. Seem to have the attitude i will do anything i please. It has reached a boiling point from all the disrespect over the years. Perhaps it is payback time.

Americans come to Europe and sometime they are also very rude, guess what: most of them don't get murdered there because they are "disrespectful", whatever that means....

Should really be described as common sense. Not liking being disrespected by a foreigner in your own country is a character trait not exclusive to the Thais. However, it is how it is handled. It is more often than not about business, women, traffic etc. I was recently at a holiday resort in the far south of Thailand frequented by a lot of young backpackers. If they could understand Thai and the way the young local Thai men spoke about them they would be horrified. Especially the women. I was shocked and disgusted and found it hard to keep my mouth shut. But I did. For the very reason you state here. Self-preservation
You are right that it's supposed to be just a common sense.Unfortunately, there are many who do not use it.

I've heard many foreigners saying bad stuff about Thailand and its people while actually working or living here.There were several times in the sky train where foreigners were saying bad stuff about Thais while being surrounded by Thais...they probably thought no one understand them.

I'm very aware what Thais are capable of saying and doing, that's why even if I seem to come as a broken tape recorder I keep reminding foreigners to be extra careful.

You see there are countries which can take/tolerate being disrespected in their own soil but Thailand is not one of those/them.

Obviously, criticism carry death penalty here: thainess at its finest!

• Like 1

STOP! with the Burmese jokes for God's sake.......any Idea how stupid you come across as being?

It may seem unlikely that his hands would be tied if it was a suicide but it really isn't that strange or uncommon

The idea is to tie their own hands and it only needs to be loosely because the rope used is behind their back

They stick there head through the noose jump and the rope, even if it's only dangling behind their back, prevents them from reaching the rope above.

Sad that someone would resort to this at such a young age

RIP

Can you clarify your confusing instructions by showing us how it is done. Please.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough it is not uncommon for people to tie their hands behind their back before hanging themselves -- some also tape or cover their mouths. It is a way to make sure they go through with the act and don't try to free themselves or scream out.

Would you be able to give some reference links to support this claim ?

RTP suicide work book.

• Like 2

Let the investigation take it's course. Thailand is not rife with serial killers or gangsters, most of them come here on the plane.

My thoughts exactly .... Frenchman named 'Dimitri' eh?

Broaden your horizons, why don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Payet

A little bit of history :

When the bolchevik revolution started, a lot of Russian aristocrats fled to France.Why France ? Because there was a long history of friendship between the elites of both countries, the most famous one between Empress Catherine II and Voltaire around 1770. All educated Russians spoke fluent French.

For those who could not bring much money, golds or jewels along with them, a common occupation was driving taxis, so it was not uncommon in those days to be chauffeured along the streets of Paris by a Russian Count ...

The richest ones, such as the Galitzines, who were Princes and Princesses 'of the blood', already had assets in France and did not exactly 'suffer' in any way, at least not from a material point of view.

The name Dimitri is definitely of Russian origin, and French men who bear it nowadays are most likely to be of Russian descent. However, the spelling D.I.M.I.T.R.I. is specifically French whereas the original transliteration would be Dmitry, Dmitri, Dmitrii or Dmitriy, sometimes also Dmitrij.

How does that relate with the murder on Koh Tao ? Well, my point is that if the guy's name was spelled DIMITRI then yes, he was most probably French. If, on the other hand it was spelled DMITRI (as indicated on the OP), then it's most likely that he was either half Russian or very recently got a French passport. In the latter option it could mean that the Russian mafia is somehow involved.

As we all know, the Russian mafia are known for being one of the most unforgiving and 'examples' are often made in gruesome ways, with clear 'signs' sent to other people by leaving this or that obvious clue on the corpse.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

Foreigners having common sense ? One of the many reasons i avoid the tourist traps. Too many pissed off Thais and i can,t blame them from what i have witnessed from both men and women.

Very very true. Wish the Thai government would just grab them as they enter. In the long run they would make more money on bounties then allowing them in and running amok.

Let the investigation take it's course. Thailand is not rife with serial killers or gangsters, most of them come here on the plane.

It's not true at all. It's utter nonsense.

• Like 2

Very very true. Wish the Thai government would just grab them as they enter. In the long run they would make more money on bounties then allowing them in and running amok.

Immigration are as bent as the RTP. Bounty? Don't make me laugh. Why take time and effort tracking them down when just turning a blind eye to what their computers show up for a few thousand baht is so much easier.huh.png

Pattaya scum center of Thailand, Samui island chain and Phuket not far behind.

Lol, it is amazing to see people calling Koh Tao "Island of death", or even suggesting nuking the place. I'm pretty sure most of those people are backpacker hating Pattaya resident sexpats, or probably spent a lot of time at Pattaya at some part of their lifes. Pattaya, which is famous for murders happening on a weekly basis. Pattaya, which has not only the local mafia, but also mafias from around the world, like Russian mafia, Arab mafia, Turkish mafia etc. And yet you never hear those backpacker hating sexpats bashing Pattaya.

The murders at Koh Tao was big news, because it is so rare. Murders at Pattaya aren't big news, because it happens so much that it doesn't have a news value. You want to nuke a place, fine, then go for Pattaya. An incredible amount of scum would be wiped out of earth and Thailand's murder rates would drop instantly.

No no, Pattaya is miles ahead of Samui in that area. Phuket maybe not tat far behind.

When I first arrived in Thailad there were two farang beheaded on Koh Pa Ngan and it was a fairly quiet little island, in 1992.