Chiang Mai tops New Year accident death toll after 5 days

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai tops New Year accident death toll after 5 days

Chiang Mai topped the list of provinces with the highest accumulated death toll from road accidents. After the fifth day of the seven-day accident monitoring period ended Saturday, Chiang Mai saw 14 people killed in road accidents.

Its accumulated number of injured victims was the also the highest with 106 people injured. Chiang Mai is among the most popular destinations for New Year revelers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Chiang-Mai-tops-New-Year-accident-death-toll-after-30251155.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-04

I think Thailand could reduce the death rate dramatically with some changes in regulations. If seat belts, child seats, and restraints of ALL passengers, even those in the back of the vehicle, were required it would be a good start. Require headlights to be used at all times, not just at night, would prevent many of the head-on crashes, and just simple enforcement of the traffic laws without pocketing the money they "collect" from drivers!!

Chiang Mai - hub of RTAs sad.png

As Thailand has already achieved world leadership in road death performance, we should maybe class Chiang Mai as the Epicenter of The Hub of Road Deaths.

Poor Prayuth must be working overtime with the TAT to merge this in some positive way into his new Thainess concept.

How about this?

"Why not experience first hand the real life Thrills and Spills of Thai roads? Take part in the exciting "pedestrian crossing at your peril" attraction and have vehicles swerve around you as you are stranded helpless in the middle of the road. Or maybe take a ride in a taxi, where our well trained drivers demonstrate their skills of talking constantly into a telephone, lighting a cigarette and overtaking on the inside whilst peering through the dancing rhythmic Buddhas dangling from the mirror? How about, "Beat the Clock" pillion riding in Bangkok, as the pilot proves his prowess at slicing through the Bangkok traffic congestion?"

Cue in music, a few lotus flowers, orchids and coyote girls.

"Thailand, your safety in our hands, T h a i n e s s"

I think Thailand could reduce the death rate dramatically with some changes in regulations. If seat belts, child seats, and restraints of ALL passengers, even those in the back of the vehicle, were required it would be a good start. Require headlights to be used at all times, not just at night, would prevent many of the head-on crashes, and just simple enforcement of the traffic laws without pocketing the money they "collect" from drivers!!

Before changing regulations look to enforce the current ones not just use the uniform to collect fines. Helmets, not even worn by police on motorcycles, Phones used when in control (?) of a vehicle.

Alcohol influence whilst driving. Penalise the wrongdoer not the guy with insurance in an accident. I could go on

Nice people here in CM but totally clueless in traffic

Lots of paint markings on the tarmac indicating shunts as traffic stops for red lights on superhighway northbound near Saraphee. My guess is that many accidents were caused by our visitors from further south (BKK) in their crazy rush to get to laid back Chiang Mai.

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...