Cheaper place to live than Bkk, and have a beach?

riorobc023

I'm finding bangkok, especially ekamai to be very expensive. Came to thailand thinking living as a bodybuilder would be cheaper but its actually not that much compared to the united states.

Where can one go to live cheap, quiet, and have a beach ?

((i don't party, drink, nightclub no))

--

i have heard hua hin is nice, but I'm not sure in terms of cost of living. Just need a beach, and a gym, cheaper food, and i'll be in heaven

kob khun khap!

• Like 1

The gear is much cheaper.......

Look at places like Khanom, Chumphon, etc etc.

But there might be no good gym

oh sorry i know it is much cheaper.

But i am actually talking about my food intake .. 6 meals a day

rice/potatoes/pad thai x chicken/pork repeat 6 times .. exhausting and expensive

-----

Are Khanom, Chumphon accessible by airplane?

also i am assuming phuket/koh samui/koh tao are a definite no because expensive, yes?

Anywhere on the usual tourist trail is going to be more expensive.

If you are desperate for the beach you would be better considering less travelled areas, but that will probably mean less facilities too.

Its a balancing act.

hmmm..i think i'm on a mission until i find the cheapest place here in thailand..

Any suggestions CharlieH?

Literally would go to any length to find a gym, since my day revolves around that for a few hours..

rice/potatoes/pad thai x chicken/pork repeat 6 times .. exhausting and expensive

Where are you eating and what kind of prices? Do you cook yourself? You mentioned Ekkamai, that is just about the most expensive part of Bangkok.

Where are you eating and what kind of prices? Do you cook yourself? You mentioned Ekkamai, that is just about the most expensive part of Bangkok.

wow i sure did pick a winner didn't i? Wow . Yes i live in ekamai. Full of snobs here i am noticing. It's WEIRD. Because everyone else is always smiling..

Yes i cook 5 times a day and eat out once it seems like.

chicken/pork/fish all bought from BIG C (expensive)

potatoes/rice/bananas/oatmeal/peanut butter etc (big C)

a little less expensive than the US, but nothing to write home about.

Still spending roughly 90-100$ a week on food =(

-----

also i am assuming phuket/koh samui/koh tao are a definite no because expensive, yes?

First of all: Food quality: There was an article in "The Nation" (so not a conspiration theorist posting) about boys who get tits. Reason KFC more than 3 times per day. Some antibiotics or salmonella statica after some passes to the chicken liver have estrogen effects. Someone posting about chicken farms when they have a problem. The dead chicken are sold for the crocodile farms. But in fact the street vendors line up.

So a clean diet gets a complete different meaning here in Thailand......

Chumphon sometimes

Khanom with a 90 km taxi ride (not expensive)

Both are very quite and nice but also boring. Market with organic food is available. Organic chicken and pork is a bit more fat. Alternative is fresh sea food.

That are just places I know I am sure there are others equal good. If you like cardio. Bicycle in the south is great...addictive....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anywhere on the usual tourist trail is going to be more expensive.

If you are desperate for the beach you would be better considering less travelled areas, but that will probably mean less facilities too.

Its a balancing act.

hmmm..i think i'm on a mission until i find the cheapest place here in thailand..

Any suggestions CharlieH?

Literally would go to any length to find a gym, since my day revolves around that for a few hours..

Cha am.

I think he has pretty well confined himself to more expensive venues with the above statement. I know here in Chiang Mai there has been several threads on a good gym and seems like their is no consensus. Lots of gyms but in varying degrees of upkeep starting with OK and going down hill fast. Also to be considered is does he want weights or cardio? Maybe a gym in Pattaya.

Edited by northernjohn

-----

First of all: Food quality: There was an article in "The Nation" (so not a conspiration theorist posting) about boys who get tits. Reason KFC more than 3 times per day. Some antibiotics or salmonella statica after some passes to the chicken liver have estrogen effects. Someone posting about chicken farms when they have a problem. The dead chicken are sold for the crocodile farms. But in fact the street vendors line up.

Chumphon sometimes

Both are very quite and nice but also boring. Market with organic food is available. Organic chicken and pork is a bit more fat. Alternative is fresh sea food.

That are just places I know I am sure there are others equal good. If you like cardio. Bicycle in the south is great...addictive....

Khanom is a great place to just kick back and relax but I seriously doubt there is a Gym. Been many years since I was there but I certainly enjoyed it. I wonder if just one more beer is still there.

Where was the study done about the chicken. I know in the states it is a problem with the chemicals that get into them but here in Thailand I had not heard of that. In fact who in Thailand would make that kind of a study. I have a friend who was an Executive Chef in the states and he was the one who told me about it.

Pattaya is where most BBers hang out. Accomodation there will be way cheaper than Ekkamai as will your 'supplements'

But even then, your food bill is only 3000 baht a week to eat clean 6 times a day. That's going to be hard to beat, unless you get into noodles.

• Like 1

wow i sure did pick a winner didn't i? Wow . Yes i live in ekamai. Full of snobs here i am noticing. It's WEIRD. Because everyone else is always smiling..

Yes i cook 5 times a day and eat out once it seems like.

chicken/pork/fish all bought from BIG C (expensive)

potatoes/rice/bananas/oatmeal/peanut butter etc (big C)

a little less expensive than the US, but nothing to write home about.

Still spending roughly 90-100$ a week on food =(

ํYou can save a bit of money buying meat at fresh markets instead of Big C, but then the quality won't be as good. In general supermarkets are not much cheaper than the US, so you can't save much money if you are already cooking at home. Food in restaurants in Thailand is where the deals are, Thai food from small local restaurants, not the places in Ekkamai. But if you're already cooking at home you're probably not going to be able to save a lot more. Try the local markets with prepared food too, you can get healthy food much cheaper than restaurants. Whole grilled chickens, steamed veggies, etc.

What you can probably save money on is rent, and on the few meals that you do eat out. Ekkamai is extremely expensive.

I don't like Pattaya, but it does have gyms and cheap places to live. Lots of options for eating too, local Thai markets, big supermarkets, cheap Thai restaurants and cheapish foreign restaurants.

Pattaya might not be as bad a suggestion as some might think.

Supermarkets - same price as bkk.

Beach of course

Gyms of course

And out of town a little bit accomadation as cheap as you will find anywhere in Thailand.

Phuket , lol that for sure is a non stater ,

• Like 2

I find that many articles are cheaper at Macro than in the market. For example chicken brisk (for our dogs and Thai neighbours): 30 in the market, 24 in Big, 18 in Macro. Stuff in the market is of varying origins and DOESn'T HAVE FLIES.Meaning that it has likely been sprayed with something like formaldehyde.

sent from phone using bih thumbs

I feel like the cost for protein foods in Thailand is excellent. Fish, pork, chicken, and eggs are widely available, and at a good price. I think you should learn more about Bangkok and where to go shopping, venture further out from ekkamai, and also change your ideas about what to buy. You are trying to buy peanut butter oatmeal and potatoes here, but you have to know thai people don't eat that, at all, ever. The price will be the farang price.

You are going to have to prioritize kid.

I hate to say this, but I think Pattaya is probably the best option.

Best gyms and best gear. Food is relative and buying in bulk at fresh markets is best. Beach...not so good, but probably adequate.

Cost wise...much cheaper than Ekamai.

Lot's of big guys down there. Will probably make you look like a skinny 12-year old boy, but plenty to aspire to.

• Like 2

-----

Chumphon sometimes

Khanom is a great place to just kick back and relax but I seriously doubt there is a Gym. Been many years since I was there but I certainly enjoyed it. I wonder if just one more beer is still there.

Where was the study done about the chicken. I know in the states it is a problem with the chemicals that get into them but here in Thailand I had not heard of that. In fact who in Thailand would make that kind of a study. I have a friend who was an Executive Chef in the states and he was the one who told me about it.

there was an article about boys get tits and some doctor told it comes if you eat more than 3 times per day KFC, because of the hormones in the chicken. It was in either "the nation" or "bangkok post"

I find that many articles are cheaper at Macro than in the market. For example chicken brisk (for our dogs and Thai neighbours): 30 in the market, 24 in Big, 18 in Macro. Stuff in the market is of varying origins and DOESn'T HAVE FLIES.Meaning that it has likely been sprayed with something like formaldehyde.

I saw once in a market a guy direct spraying the meat with insect spray.

I saw once in a market a guy direct spraying the meat with insect spray.

That is harsh!

I'd love to see a photo of that.