Thai Public Health Ministry launches diphtheria vaccination program

webfact

Public Health Ministry launches diphtheria vaccination program

BANGKOK, 15 January 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health today kicked off a vaccination campaign against diphtheria to honor Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn’s birthday on April 2nd.

Public Health Minister Dr. Ratchata Ratchatanawin said diphtheria can be prevented by vaccination. It is caused by bacteria and occurs in the respiratory system.

In severe cases, the patient could die from suffocation. The bacteria could also damage heart muscles and a nervous system. Diphtheria could also occur in adults besides children if they are not immune.

In Thailand, the number of patients has declined since 1987 when the vaccination was introduced. There were fewer than 10 people with the disease reported each year afterwards. However, in 2012, diphtheria broke out and led to a higher number of patients the following year.

In 2013, 63 people were treated for diphtheria. People aged between 20-50 years old were found to have lower immunity against this respiratory disease. Diphtheria was also found in Thailand’s neighboring nations like Laos and Myanmar. In 2014, sixteen people in Thailand were contracted with the disease, and 4 have succumbed to death.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-15 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

"63 people were treated for diphtheria"

so let's vaccinate all people in thailand ?

mhhh, mercury & other goodies ...

Oh dear ..another new age <deleted>

Mate go back 400 years and follow the history of vaccination.

If you still think it is crap I will respect you.

I nearly lost a sister to whooping cough in the late 1950's...have you ever heard whooping cough?...no I didn;t think so.

I'm still at the age where I know people with Polio...are you? We used to call them spastic in the old days...totally preventable.

Do you know anyone with Polio..do you know what Polio is??

Don't get me started on small pox - one of the biggest killers until a scientist figured out a solution.

And now we have the new age fresh milk dodos'.........good luck Louis Pasteur didn't become famous because he liked fresh milk.

I had diphtheria as a child. Its really awful. The authorities investigated at the time trying to pin the source but couldn't. They conceded defeat but recommended that the rainwater tanks be immediately emptied.

Sure vaccinating 65 million people sounds like a big deal compared to "only"63 case but if it gets going that 63 cases could turn into millions with death at a high rate.

I recommend the vaccinations and the sooner the better.