Emirates! Where do I go next?

SeanMcgee

So the other 350+ passengers managed to get on board OK. It was obviously a conspiracy.

Personally I would love to put a knife in the neck of the pratts that are late boarding an aircraft causing delays. And then they invariably have three pieces of oversize cabin luggage and can't find any locker space, and wonder why.

And usually it's the same pratts that are unable to disembark in an orderly fashion and block the aisles unnecessarily.

And then they also cause grief in the transit customs inspection and have 7 things in their luggage that they shouldn't, and want to argue the toss with the customs official.

Sorry....bit of a rant, but that was my experience on a recent flight. Three people turned up uber late and caused mayhem as I've described. They were also extremely loud during the flight but luckily the Emirates staff were on the ball and gave them a telling off.

• Like 2

If you paid by credit card you might have aclaim via card provider ,, but you are on a sticky wicket ,, you were negligent .

i had a recent problem with vietnam airlines who cancelled a valid ticket without refund and i was able to get both ticket re instated and a refund by complaining via credit card provisor.

Just out of interest Gixer, what nationality were they?

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but they were Kiwi. facepalm.gif

The only consolation was they were minimum wage bogans trying to pass themselves off as world travellers. I think it was their first flight.

Just out of interest Gixer, what nationality were they?

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but they were Kiwi. facepalm.gif

The only consolation was they were minimum wage bogans trying to pass themselves off as world travellers. I think it was their first flight.

So the OP is one of those people who sits around having a leisurely coffee, isn't there when they close the doors thus forcing the removal of his luggage for not showing and delaying the flight? That is exactly what happened if he had checked baggage, turned up late, and they will not re-open the doors.

OP - yes, it is a great idea to choose another airline other than Emirates, "shut down Thailand" and complain to CAA. I fly Emirates frequently and about 1/4 of the time the flight is delayed due to no shows at the gate. Fewer of your lot would be a blessing.

Edited by bubba

EK373 02 Nov. 2014

Scheduled Departure: 8:40 PM - Sun Nov-2-2014 Scheduled Arrival: 12:40 AM - Mon Nov-3-2014

Actual Departure: 9:58 PM - Sun Nov-2-2014 Actual Arrival: 1:40 AM - Mon Nov-3-2014

The airline knew at 4.18pm it would be late. The estimated departure time was actually changed backwards and forwards 6 times in total, although the board probably wouldn't show them all. As late as 10pm and at one point as early as 8.45.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Keep fighting for compensation...I did with Thai when they asked me to take a downgrade to Eco on a business ticket.

I helped them out at the time and in the end they parted with 28 000 baht, $300 Aussie and a free one way upgrade to business. They didn't want to pay that out but they eventually came good.

I only chased them because it was my second voluntary downgrade in a year and the first one I let slip with no recompense.

As for emirates they are generally very generous in my experience.

You're lucky they didn't cancel your ticket and make you buy a new one at the full walk in retail on the day price.

You should never rely on what those airport boards say, especially if a flight is delayed - that delay could disappear at a moments notice and it will depart without you as you found out.

So if his flight was delayed by say 3 or 4 hours would he not be able to go for a walk around ? incase the airline changed its mind and the plane could go sooner ?

Saying that I do think this guy was partly to blame as he decided to go walk about with such a small delay, I would have stayed put at the gate

Looks like you're up around 200 quid. I'd quit while you're ahead. wink.png

Having said that, Emirates made us sweat with a short delay because they couldn't get a gate and then all of a sudden announcing 'final call' with the gate right at the other end of the airport. Dubai. This before terminal 2 opened and there was a big shortage of seats. Never been through there since. Fly direct where possible.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a tough call but it is responsibility of the traveller to make sure that he is at the gate on time. It is not the responsibility of the airline to chase down pax that decide to implicitly believe the departure board and wonder up to the gate in their own sweet time, assuming that they will be allowed to board at the eleventh hour, or past it. Very surprised that an experienced traveller such as the OP claims would apparently take such a casual approach. Some advice OP, check out the board when done with immigration, go to the gate to confirm when it opens, then go and buy your cigs etc. Be at the gate at the time it opens. I do not wish to teach you how to shell peas but the process is pretty straight forward...oh, and lay off the booze. You've been lucky previously. Bon Voyage.