Swimming Pool Chemicals

Donnyboy

I have a decorative pond and water feature thats going greener by the day. I guess the best way to treat it is by adding chlorine to make the water sparkle again.

I havent been down to Homepro yet but is there some other places that sells chlorine cheaply?

Or is there other ways to keep the pond looking good. I dont want any fish etc either.

post-15912-1155876175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

I have a decorative pond and water feature thats going greener by the day. I guess the best way to treat it is by adding chlorine to make the water sparkle again.

I havent been down to Homepro yet but is there some other places that sells chlorine cheaply?

Or is there other ways to keep the pond looking good. I dont want any fish etc either.

4th floor - Airport Plaza there is a swimming pool store also the Hang Dong road between Airport Plaza and the City moat there is another Swimming Pool store.

For truley "CLEAR" water you will need to determine the Ph and add eith Muriatic Acid or Soda (Baking Soda works Great).

If you want to clear the green up, yes chlorine will do the trick.

If you want to use chlorine. You will find the Ph of the water is high, so for the chlorine to work best you will nee to add some acid to lower the Ph. About 100mm/ 2000litres of water. Do this before adding the chlorine about 1L / 1000 litre of water. About Use a diferent container or wash it thouroughly before adding chloine, the mixture of acid and chlorine is explosive and the result is chlorine gas. If you lookup what mustarrd gas did to soldiers in WW1 you will get thie idea.

Simpler to drain the pond and clean it, scrub it with dilute liquid chlorine. There are a number of clarifiers and algecides available from garden centres that do not kill everything as thoroughly as chlorine.

Chlorine is great for many things but ponds are not one of them. If you have plants, fish or frogs, they do not survive chlorine. As someone who has spent some time in the swimming pool industry I would be sending you to a garden centre for advice.

A cooule of tips, if you do not want the pond to turn green do not have any plants drooping into the pond trim them above the water level, and remember that when you fertalize the lawn and garden around the pond try to miss the pond because algae is a plant and LOVES fertalizer.

If you want to clear the green up, yes chlorine will do the trick.

If you want to use chlorine. You will find the Ph of the water is high, so for the chlorine to work best you will nee to add some acid to lower the Ph. About 100mm/ 2000litres of water. Do this before adding the chlorine about 1L / 1000 litre of water. About Use a diferent container or wash it thouroughly before adding chloine, the mixture of acid and chlorine is explosive and the result is chlorine gas. If you lookup what mustarrd gas did to soldiers in WW1 you will get thie idea.

Simpler to drain the pond and clean it, scrub it with dilute liquid chlorine. There are a number of clarifiers and algecides available from garden centres that do not kill everything as thoroughly as chlorine.

Chlorine is great for many things but ponds are not one of them. If you have plants, fish or frogs, they do not survive chlorine. As someone who has spent some time in the swimming pool industry I would be sending you to a garden centre for advice.

A cooule of tips, if you do not want the pond to turn green do not have any plants drooping into the pond trim them above the water level, and remember that when you fertalize the lawn and garden around the pond try to miss the pond because algae is a plant and LOVES fertalizer.

thanks for the advice, the pond is more like a small pool, in that it hasnt got any living creatures in it. Some water may trickle over to some plants, but Im not too fussed if they die or not as I can replant new ones into a container next time so they wont be affected.

what pH range should the water be for the chlorine to be affective?