Would you have lent the money?

Squeegee

I wouldn't complicate it too much, keep it simple. If someone asks me for 100 Bt., I will give it if i have it. If he continues to ask me (with or without having paid me back) I wouldn't.....unless it was due to unfortunate circumstances.

I have been burnt by loaning money to a Thai and not getting it back exactly 1 time. I have burnt by foreigners 5-6 times. I refuse to ever loan money to another foreigner due to the fact that most foreigners in Thailand think they are the center of the universe and common courtesy is beneath them. On the other hand, If someone is on the skids and I can spare the money, I will give it as a gift, knowing I will never get it back. If I need the money, I don't loan it, if I can spare it and not expect it back, I give it away. Thats me anyway... However, I never any longer give money to tourists with sob stories, instead I give them directions to the airport.

You have to be wary.

A mooch may borrow 100, return it, rinse, repeat, then hit you up for a bigger amount!

I would have lent the 100 but never repeated if not repaid and never a larger amount.

As to ciggies, tell him he inspired you to stop smoking too!

(He really means he just stopped buying them)

• Like 1

Sounds like a washed up teacher. Of course lend him the 100 baht or now u have the taste of what its like being a <deleted>? I have learnt how to be rude in thailand instead of always beinh nice. Feels good to piss someone off now and again.

I might have lent the 100B....It might have meant saving him a one time hardship....

After the initial time and more requests would ratchet up the scrutiny and wariness and probably not..... with a not do subtle hint that he should mind his money better.....

100 Baht. I would have given. If it was not returned or offered back, I'd also refuse in the future. Not the amount, it is the principle.

I would have lent the 100 Bhat with the mindset that 100 is a small sum to be absolutely sure you can't trust a colleague and to root out a "bad friend".

Lukecan post # 53.

I still cant believe it, is this topic for real?

100thb

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahaha

ooh my god

When you've been here long enough and everyone knows just how wealthy you are due to leaching cash off of mummy and daddy people will be asking you for money.

Guess what once lent and spent you'll never see those ''friends'' again.

It shouldn't happen to a dog.

Never mind you can be the exception in that case.

These type of things happen everywhere, I had friends in university who asked for money but never gave it back, these were small sums like 100-200-500thb

Anyway, its a character test, had some who gave it back the next day promptly etc.

Good way to weed out the good from the bad.

Most of these white knights wouldnt hesitate to give 1000thb if the person was a hot thai girl.

Lot of hypocrites.

Any time I loan money I just figure it is a gift.....no matter who it is......done it several times and alwsys the same result.....takes the person forever to give the money back if any....I tell people if I loan them money bad things will happen to them and they won't be able to pay me back. Most end up in the hospital or become very sick 100 per cent of the time.....especially if it is a Thai lady. I say don't feel guilty, save yourself the hassle and bad feelings you will get from being the good guy.....a fool and his money....la, la, la...

100thb

ooh my god

Weren't you the brat poohing his panties, and blubbing like a baby about people being rude to you so much, that you needed your pikey 'friends' to come and help you out which they did the hope they might get some of mummy and daddy's scraps from your table....? Advice:don't lend any of them money...

At least this geezer has earned his money himself. Your disrespect is worthy of the contempt and scorn you have had rightly heaped on you during your short time on this forum.

I will not refuse someone who asks for 100thb even if I'M 99% sure they wont give it back. Makes it very easier for me to refuse their next favor. If OP was so sure he did the right thing he wouldnt of opened a topic. It might be true that the lad actually forgot his wallet, refusing him 100thb, sorry thats not in my culture.

Edited by Lukecan

100thb

ooh my god

Weren't you the brat poohing his panties, and blubbing like a baby about people being rude to you so much, that you needed your pikey 'friends' to come and help you out which they did the hope they might get some of mummy and daddy's scraps from your table....? Advice:don't lend any of them money...

At least this geezer has earned his money himself. Your disrespect is worthy of the contempt and scorn you have had rightly heaped on you during your short time on this forum.

I will not refuse someone who asks for 100thb even if I'M 99% sure they wont give it back. Makes it very easier for me to refuse their next favor. If OP was so sure he did the right thing he wouldnt of opened a topic. It might be true that the lad actually forgot his wallet, refusing him 100thb, sorry thats not in my culture.

Easy to give money away that hasn't been earned, nothing to do with culture

100thb

ooh my god

Easy to give money away that hasn't been earned, nothing to do with culture

Easy to make up 100000 excuses instead of admitting you're cheap charlie :D The funnier part is actually telling the lad you dont have 100thb on you instead of saying no outright :D I would of respected the OP if he straight out said I dont lend money to people instead of making himself look like a fool there. Farangs in this country are really of low quality, thank god I dont hang out in places where these english teachers and retirees go :D

Lukecan post # 81

Farangs in this country are really of low quality, thank god I dont hang out in places where these english teachers and retirees go biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.hDScpYRTMkSjGtd

Farangs like the poster quoted above and who are, or claim to be in this country are really of low quality, thank god I don't hang out in places where these, wanna be pilots and parasites who feed off of their parents do biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.hDScpYRTMkSjGtd
I dont think turks qualify as farangs, and thank god they dont :D Edited by Lukecan

Lukecan post # 81

Farangs in this country are really of low quality, thank god I dont hang out in places where these english teachers and retirees go biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.hDScpYRTMkSjGtd

Farangs like the poster quoted above and who are, or claim to be in this country are really of low quality, thank god I don't hang out in places where these, wanna be pilots and parasites who feed off of their parents do biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.hDScpYRTMkSjGtd

At least teachers go off to work. Little Luke is more interested in collecting his pocket money and playing Captain and Hostess with Uncle Kurt

• Like 2

Well, for me...I wouldn't mind lending the money, but if I don't have it (not uncommon for me to go to school with almost no money on me--we have ATMs all over campus) and then have some guy audibly complaining as he left, that would be the end of it. And not just for money...I would be done with that guy in every way.

Something's weird about all this.

So many posters expressing that they wouldn't lend/give a fellow foreigner 100 Baht, yet so many come to Thailand, get involved with a woman they barely know, and within a matter of weeks are giving her a monthly stipend, paying all housing and food costs and supporting her offspring and parents.

Why so little love for the fellow foreigner?

Something's weird about all this.

So many posters expressing that they wouldn't lend/give a fellow foreigner 100 Baht, yet so many come to Thailand, get involved with a woman they barely know, and within a matter of weeks are giving her a monthly stipend, paying all housing and food costs and supporting her offspring and parents.

Why so little love for the fellow foreigner?

Because the fellow foreigner doesn't put out like a girl of dubious morals.

Lukecan, on 23 Jan 2015 - 11:01, said:
mrtoad, on 23 Jan 2015 - 10:51, said:Easy to give money away that hasn't been earned, nothing to do with culture

Easy to make up 100000 excuses instead of admitting you're cheap charlie biggrin.png The funnier part is actually telling the lad you dont have 100thb on you instead of saying no outright biggrin.png I would of respected the OP if he straight out said I dont lend money to people instead of making himself look like a fool there. Farangs in this country are really of low quality, thank god I dont hang out in places where these english teachers and retirees go biggrin.png

Just stand outside Nana Plaza and see how many times you are asked for money.

The dilemma the OP faces is two fold. Firstly he didn't work for a while because he had to get his passport renewed and WP updated and secondly which you have no comprehension of he is working with this person and is concerned that the guy may talk behind his back.

Since you have never had a job this completely goes over your head.

• Like 1