Thailand backpacker death: Christina Annesley in mystery death on double Brit-murder island

Lite Beer

bander, on 22 Jan 2015 - 18:29, said:bander, on 22 Jan 2015 - 18:29, said:

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

AleG, on 22 Jan 2015 - 18:13, said:AleG, on 22 Jan 2015 - 18:13, said:
smedly, on 22 Jan 2015 - 18:07, said:smedly, on 22 Jan 2015 - 18:07, said:
petedk, on 22 Jan 2015 - 15:32, said:petedk, on 22 Jan 2015 - 15:32, said:

It's amazing how so many of you jump to conclusions without knowing anything.

I feel the two Burmese are scapegoats, but this poor young girl could have died for any number of reasons. No details of the cause of death.

Let's just wait, hope and pray that there is no foul play.

The fact that after 4 days the police have released zero info of the circumstances wreaks of foul play and antibiotics don't kill neither does partying on holiday - all the info so far is coming from none local sources

She had been taking Valium, Tramadol and antibiotics with alcohol; overdoses of the first two with alcohol can cause death.

So convenient that the pathologist found all this drugs in her stomach during the autopsy, now the RTP can exclude murder and Mon can keep on with his tourist business as usual.

The girl admitted on her twitter account that she was taking antibiotics for a severe chest infection as well as valium and tramadol - and drinking copious amounts of alcohol at the same time. Not a good combination, I'm afraid sad.png. She also complained about some of the hostels she was staying in so perhaps mould had caused the chest infection, which can quickly turn into pneumonia. There is also the possibility of Legionnaire's disease. Self-medicating with antibiotics is not a good idea either, it should be done under the supervision of a doctor.

Edited by IslandLover

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting that when there is a crime here the RTP are so inneffective that you start to suspect they committed it. I wonder how many more will die before they are finally caught and have to pay thousands of baht to stay out of prison. Maybe another Burmese family will serve up a candidate to do the jail term for just a few thousand part. Cambodians are pretty poor , The RTP should try there first to get a good deal for their boss.

The police were rewarded and congratulated by P.M Prayuth for the speed of arrests and thoroughness of the investigation of the double murder. If the get this one wrapped up in a day or two for the sake of Thailand's image there may be another big reward coming thier way.

condolences to the family and friends.

For the folks on here condemning the island, does the same go for visiting other places in Thailand? Bangkok for example? Come on.

You do not think it is odd that four people have died on the island in such a short period of time?

How small is the island? pretty smalll

What is the total populaion? pretty low

The island is either a death trap, the is a serial killer unning free, or they are suffering the worst run of luck in history

"Reports suggested Ms Annesley died from natural causes." Yep. Lots of 23 year old girls die of natural causes. Kho Tao creative reporting class 101.

​Why the hell doesn't the British Embassy DO SOMETHING?

What would you suggest ? All embassies are limited in what they can do in any country, especially Thailand. Possibly make sure the homeland is well aware of the local situation & ask for a thorough advertising campaign to warn tourists. Naturally, make strong representation to the Thai authorities, that will most likely fall on deaf ears.

I agree this whole sorry mess is a disaster. Definitely provides much fodder for the ever hungry social media hoard. Oh ! whatever did we do before social media ?

Instead of all the speculation, rants, irresponsible posts & the like that are posted here, the energy used would be much better spent in contacting your embassy or authorities back home, to at least make a "stronger representation" to the Thai authorities for a "transparent" investigation into all recent "deaths"

I'm probably being a bit delusional in thinking anything positive would come of suggested action. But, it would certainly be a lot more positive than most of the crap posted here about such sad & tragic "happenings"

Maybe, just maybe, if a stronger representation was made to "higher" Thai authorities, a more "positive approach" to policing & investigation, may, filter down to those on the ground conduction the actual investigation. But I won't be holding my breath.

Just my 2 baht's worth on what we, & all embassies could do.

Now, back to reality. Cheers..... Mal.

This is starting to remind me of the Death Hotel in Chiang Mai. Basically a series of

deaths there, none of which the police really properly explained as the hotel was owned

by a very well connected Thai. There is no such thing as coincidences..... In the end,

with so much bad publicity, they razed the hotel to the ground. Maybe they will have to

raze Death Island back to bare earth and start over...

I do not buy it at all

Lots of my friends and me currently have a cold that is sweeping through the place right now and I also have a chest infection, I have not taken anything for it and won't

Kids are to quick to race for antibiotics these days when there is probably no need and by the sounds of it she was ripped off where ever she bought them anyway, but not a killer

I myself went out last week and had a serious hangover next day and with the cold combined not pleasant so I can relate to that

I believe the mother is simply relaying what she has been told, natural causes..............................really

Tramadol - it is not a killer and she does not sound like a stupid girl that went mad on pills

The two men that had an argument over her in the bar - it doesn't indicate whether Thai or Falang (or maybe I missed it)

What was the so called natural cause of death ? asphyxiation ? no details given

Is there a predator on this Island preying on young female falang tourists

Sorry but my personal opinion is that I simply don't get any of this and treat it with extreme distrust

JMO

Edited by smedly

condolences to the family and friends.

For the folks on here condemning the island, does the same go for visiting other places in Thailand? Bangkok for example? Come on.

Does anyone know the population of Koh Tao?

I'd like to compare that statistic to Bangkok, and the resulting murders or mysterious deaths per capita.

2000 population + tourists

Honestly, how high is the probability of a young British girl, who in a way is a Hannah lookalike, and who has EXACTLY the same age as Hannah, to die at EXACTLY the same resort (In Touch) where Hannah was also staying within 4 months time-period?

I would say the chance of that happening is 1 to 1.000.000.000.000.000, probably the same as winning the lotto jackpot 4 consecutive times in one month?

Seriously, this is "roofie" territory where a lot of horny Thai wannabee bad boys are targeting the Farang chicks and I'll bet you this one is no different but will of course be covered up as well. It is dangerous territory!

I must say that is exactly what I thought when I saw a photo of Christina Annesley today, the similarities between her and Hanna smacked me right in the face, it`s creepy and scared me in fact.. Also reading some of these posts I had no idea of how high the death rates of tourists have been on the Island over the years. My opinions regarding the deaths from September have changed after the deaths of more tourists since that incident.

All I can say is this; I wouldn`t want to speculate on these cases one way or another, but unless there are some that like to live dangerously, than best to avoid that holiday destination, which is the logical thing to do considering the circumstances.

Here's another spooky link, David Miller and Christina Annesley went to the same University in Leeds UK (thanks to Islandlover for pointing that out on another thread)

She studied history at Leeds University and was a former vice-chairman of Yorkshire Young Independence, as well as a former chairman of Leeds Conservative Future. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/british-backpacker-christina-annesley-dies-on-thai-holiday-island-koh-tao-9995530.html

On Monday, the history graduate was tweeting from Koh Tao - the same island where another University of Leeds graduate David Miller was murdered along with Hannah Witheredge, a 23-year-old from Great Yarmouth, in September. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/former-leeds-university-student-dies-in-thailand-1-7065925
Edited by thailandchilli

How many tourists are stupid enough to still go to this island?

And how could she spend 60GBP (3,000bht) on antibiotics?

You have no idea of the high price to pay for orginal, european, pharmaceutical products in Thailand, A-B in the front row, and more so in 'remote' places like KT, could have been just a box of 20, but you would go for the copies sold per piece from the local 'pharmacist''s big jar, I wouldn't... Do you still have a point?

Good point. Glad you think a 20 odd year old would be on the same wavelength.

The antibiotics sold in the Thai pharmacies are 100% legit and effective.

Why would anyone pay more?

PS

They come in bubble packs, same as every other country.

Have you ever been to Thailand?

Another one for death island. When is the junta going to do something about this place? Moreover, when are tourists going to stop going there and giving their money and lives to this place? What a sad day for this woman's family.

How can the police not know how she died after so long, or have they just been buying time to find an excuse or a scapegoat for yet another death there?

like on the last case with the french man !!

Headman and RTP HAVE GIVEN HUGHEST PRIORITY ;

to cover any new case immediately under the carpent !

Even Thai Visa fears to bring more info about it !

RTP and Junta searching for you already, if you click on this website !!

Koh Tao == North korea

Village Headman == Kim Jong Un

6 tourists under 40 years old all dead on 1 island in 5 months. Where else in the world does that happen?

This is Chinese whispers.

I was the second person to comment on a count. Estimated at 5 in a year.

Now we have 6 in 6 months.

By late afternoon KT should be the murder capital of Asia, with 2 functioning serial killers, a mafia gang war and a red shirt conspiracy to topple the junta by destroying tourism.

This is not Red shits dirty stuff. Do you not remember back where it was stated and proved that the headsman is close,,, very close to the leader of the yellow shirt overthrow. Its big, big, buddy stuff.

Honestly, how high is the probability of a young British girl, who in a way is a Hannah lookalike, and who has EXACTLY the same age as Hannah, to die at EXACTLY the same resort (In Touch) where Hannah was also staying within 4 months time-period?

I would say the chance of that happening is 1 to 1.000.000.000.000.000, probably the same as winning the lotto jackpot 4 consecutive times in one month?

Seriously, this is "roofie" territory where a lot of horny Thai wannabee bad boys are targeting the Farang chicks and I'll bet you this one is no different but will of course be covered up as well. It is dangerous territory!

Antibiotics, sleeping tablets and alcohol are all respiratory depressives so if combined and she had a chest infection that is dangerous territory.

How many tourists are stupid enough to still go to this island?

And how could she spend 60GBP (3,000bht) on antibiotics?

You have no idea of the high price to pay for orginal, european, pharmaceutical products in Thailand, A-B in the front row, and more so in 'remote' places like KT, could have been just a box of 20, but you would go for the copies sold per piece from the local 'pharmacist''s big jar, I wouldn't... Do you still have a point?

Good point. Glad you think a 20 odd year old would be on the same wavelength.

The antibiotics sold in the Thai pharmacies are 100% legit and effective.

Why would anyone pay more?

PS

They come in bubble packs, same as every other country.

Have you ever been to Thailand?

Actually AoA, there is a preponderance of generic and fake drugs and medication in Thailand.

Generic drugs, whist not actually fake, may not be as quality controlled as original brands and many tourists tend to play safe and try and stick with what they know and trust. Due to logistics costs (being an island) and the general "charge the farang three times more" attitude in tourist spots, it is quite feasible that she spent that much.

Probably like you, I have learnt about the generics through trial and error and buy my,admittedly cheaper, generics from a tried and trusted small pharmacy.

wai.gif

Does any one have the facts to this case, I think not, and thats why the headline is Mystery Death.

Try and stay calm until facts emerge.

A story will emerge, an excuse will emerge, a cover up will emerge, but the facts?..... no way.

Too many mysteries and scandalously suspicious deaths happening in that tiny little place.

The last thing to come out of that godforsaken place is the facts.

jspill, on 22 Jan 2015 - 19:55, said:
Alwyn, on 22 Jan 2015 - 19:21, said:

You're the one that was making the AC bar posts when the two kids got murdered aren't you? I think I asked if you were posting on behalf of those animals at the AC bar? Guess this answers that question

All these Koh Tao apologists have some form of vested interest in the island, covered in other threads.

jdinasia - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/775562-british-police-examining-koh-tao-murder-probe-to-return-to-uk/page-11#entry8663016

islandlife - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788835-french-man-found-hanged-in-koh-tao-with-his-hands-tied-behind-his-back-foul-play-suspected/page-29

JohnThailandJohn too if I recall, can't find a link I'm sure others will confirm.

You forgot AleG

Flaming post and response quoting it removed. Very simple rule.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

We are all emotive on this one and passions are back up. Please continue to show respect for your fellow poster. If you feel somebody does not have some facts then help them out and explain rather than insult them.

Just to be clear, this is not the 3rd death but the 5th in around a year. There was a British guy who mysteriously died around Christmas 2013. Lets not forget the french guy last month who 'hung himself' after tying his hands together.

This is a small island and the probability of 5 foreigners murdered/ disappeared/died under mysterious circumstances must be fairly astronomical.

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to detect a pattern here.

Ko Tao Death Toll (since Sep 2014)

Witheridge/Miller (GB) Sep

Woman (N) 22 Dec (boating accident: struck by propeller, drowned)

Nick Pearson (GB) 1 Jan (fell off a 15 m cliff and drowned)

Hanspeter Suter (CH) 10 Nov (Snorkelling accident/drowning)

Dimitri Povse (F) 13 Jan (suicide with hands tied behind back)

Annesley (GB) 21 Jan (pending)

I hope no one accuses me of speculating, but one speculation I will make is that none of these people died of old age, that`s for sure.

These numbers of deaths of foreigners still in the prime of their lives in a period of only a few months in such a small area is absolutely way beyond what can be described as just bad luck or by coincidence by any stretch of the imagination. Something has to be radically wrong there. I am not making any speculations, all I know is that this tourist destination has a problem, there is a cloud of evil hovering over that place.

The old saying pertains: Be warned to all those who dare tread in those domains!

Edited by Beetlejuice

It's amazing how so many of you jump to conclusions without knowing anything.

I feel the two Burmese are scapegoats, but this poor young girl could have died for any number of reasons. No details of the cause of death.

Let's just wait, hope and pray that there is no foul play.

if the local authority would be open and fair with information,

no one would get bad conclusions,

I get only one conclusion,

Koh Tao getting worse than Nort Korea !!

I really do wonder how they can release a Natural cause of death already?

There's no forensic labs on the Island.

It al takes time to do the required tests not overnight.

No profesional law enforcement organization would ever make such a comment prior to the ME/Coroner issuing findings.

Certainly not immediately post-mortem, prior to an autopsy, and processing of any evidence from the scene.

That the mother (allegedly) concurred is disturbing.

"Reports suggested Ms Annesley died from natural causes." Yep. Lots of 23 year old girls die of natural causes. Kho Tao creative reporting class 101.

What would you suggest ? All embassies are limited in what they can do in any country, especially Thailand. Possibly make sure the homeland is well aware of the local situation & ask for a thorough advertising campaign to warn tourists. Naturally, make strong representation to the Thai authorities, that will most likely fall on deaf ears.

I agree this whole sorry mess is a disaster. Definitely provides much fodder for the ever hungry social media hoard. Oh ! whatever did we do before social media ?

Instead of all the speculation, rants, irresponsible posts & the like that are posted here, the energy used would be much better spent in contacting your embassy or authorities back home, to at least make a "stronger representation" to the Thai authorities for a "transparent" investigation into all recent "deaths"

I'm probably being a bit delusional in thinking anything positive would come of suggested action. But, it would certainly be a lot more positive than most of the crap posted here about such sad & tragic "happenings"

Maybe, just maybe, if a stronger representation was made to "higher" Thai authorities, a more "positive approach" to policing & investigation, may, filter down to those on the ground conduction the actual investigation. But I won't be holding my breath.

Just my 2 baht's worth on what we, & all embassies could do.

Now, back to reality. Cheers..... Mal.

"What would you suggest ? All embassies are limited …."

They can request that the body neither be cleaned, nor embalmed, and returned to England as soon as possible. Here a proper autopsy can be done.

That is what I would suggest any embassies do for their deceased citizens, and their families.

EDIT: Font

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Robust young women around that age (23) do die in southern Thai beach areas. Two sets of young, ordinarily healthy young women (2 Norwegians and two Canadians) died in Ko Phi Phi in recent years. Both cases were, not surprisingly, unresolved by Thai investigators.

Maybe, just maybe, if a stronger representation was made to "higher" Thai authorities, a more "positive approach" to policing & investigation, may, filter down to those on the ground conduction the actual investigation.

Concerned posters herein have been pleading with Thai authorities to do better jobs at crime investigations. Perhaps we're not doing it with as much politeness as Thai officials expect. With nearly every post commenting on the double murders in Sept and now this mysterious death, most of us are pleading with Thai officials to do their jobs professionally. If our pleadings were scripted by embassy personnel, perhaps it would go something like this:

(start off with deep wai and beautific grin) "We so love Thailand, all the temples are beautiful, and the food is delicious. You police look so handsome in your smart uniforms. Regarding some apparent crimes a Ko Tao, may I be allowed to voice an opinion? We know The Royal Thailand Police are doing everything possible to investigate the crimes. Your PM mentioned you're working from the same guidebook. If not too much trouble, may I be so presumptuous to request you and your colleagues do as much as possible to investigate what really happened at those crime scenes? There's an English saying, 'leave no stone unturned' which translates as, 'look closely for every possible clue.' May I be so bold as to request Thai authorities do similar?"

But alas, I'm not so polite, so I'll just say, "Do your jobs. Think outside the box. Don't be afraid to say what you think, even if it might not be exactly what your superior officers require you to say."

Just to be clear, this is not the 3rd death but the 5th in around a year. There was a British guy who mysteriously died around Christmas 2013. Lets not forget the french guy last month who 'hung himself' after tying his hands together.

This is a small island and the probability of 5 foreigners murdered/ disappeared/died under mysterious circumstances must be fairly astronomical.

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to detect a pattern here.

Ko Tao Death Toll (since Sep 2014)

Witheridge/Miller (GB) Sep

Woman (N) 22 Dec (boating accident: struck by propeller, drowned)

Nick Pearson (GB) 1 Jan (fell off a 15 m cliff and drowned)

Hanspeter Suter (CH) 10 Nov (Snorkelling accident/drowning)

Dimitri Povse (F) 13 Jan (suicide with hands tied behind back)

Annesley (GB) 21 Jan (pending)

I hope no one accuses me of speculating, but one speculation I will make is that none of these people died of old age, that`s for sure.

These numbers of deaths of foreigners still in the prime of their lives in a period of only a few months in such a small area is absolutely way beyond what can be described as just bad luck or by coincidence by any stretch of the imagination. Something has to be radically wrong there. I am not making any speculations, all I know is that this tourist destination has a problem, there is a cloud of evil hovering over that place.

The old saying pertains: Be warned to all those who dare tread in those domains!

There is something going on there for sure.

You are not wrong or speculating.

You are like the majority here...... they KNOW something is not right.

This is just the next in line to be covered up.

It takes a hell of a bigger stretch of the imagination to try to explain all these incidents away, than by simply and much more rationally declaring that foul things are afoot.

I am with the majority on this one because the majority are always right.

I really do wonder how they can release a Natural cause of death already?

There's no forensic labs on the Island.

It al takes time to do the required tests not overnight.

No profesional law enforcement organization would ever make such a comment prior to the ME/Coroner issuing findings.

Certainly not immediately post-mortem, prior to an autopsy, and processing of any evidence from the scene.

That the mother (allegedly) concurred is disturbing.

From what I've read in the reports so far its the mum who first stated it was a natural death in a facebook post, some of the media then picked that up then low and behold a very small group of the usual suspect posters began using that as a weapon to stifle any questions or criticisms of this death, even before there is an official statement on the likely cause.

Another sad incident occurring to such a young traveller. I have no idea what the cause was or what will be found following the investigation. So, rather than assuming or speculating I'll just sit back and read how the knockers, conspiracy theorists and armchair detectives solve this case, which, no doubt, they will owing to the vast knowledge they gained from their previous investigations.

"two weeks of solid drinking"

Tip of the iceberg?

I await the toxocology report (right)...

2 weeks of solid drinking?... So that is your standard British 2 week holiday.... Just about every Brit and i suspect almost everyone in the western world will drink every day of their holiday.

Toxicology report?.....I wouldn't even believe it.. I have lost ALL faith in every avenue of police and forensics in Thailand. Corruption is just too rife for there to be enough confidence in it.

Thailand values one thing and that is its own interests. The rest can go to hell.

This attitude goes right to the top. Money before justice every time.