Thai govt orders tough stance on floating lanterns

webfact

Govt orders tough stance on floating lanterns
The Nation

30252661-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- THE INTERIOR MINISTRY has instructed all governors around the country to strictly control the popular but |dangerous practice of releasing floating lanterns and firing traditional rockets into the sky in their provinces.

"This trend has already caused fires, with social and economic losses. Also, they have posed a threat to aircraft in flight," permanent secretary Wiboon Sanguanpong said |yesterday.

Early this year, a floating lantern was found stuck on a plane.

Firemen at Chiang Mai International Airport in the North also told the media that 206 sky lanterns were collected from airport grounds during New Year's Eve and the following |morning.

Speedy passage

Wiboon said officials would have to communicate with members of the public to be sure they understood the risks and complied with laws related to the use of floating lanterns and traditional Thai rockets.

"Also, we will try to push for the speedy passage of the bill governing firearms, ammunition, explosives, fireworks and imitation firearms," he said.

His ministry's move was in line with an agreement that it signed with other government agencies on January 3 that focused on curbing the problem of lanterns and interference with aviation systems and local communities.

Among these agencies were the Transport, Defence, Sports and Tourism, Education and Culture ministries.

Supporting the agreement were the National Police Office and the Public Relations Department.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Govt-orders-tough-stance-on-floating-lanterns-30252661.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-26

Politicians from all Nations are just talking heads. Blah-Blah-Blah regarding a topic or subject and it is soon forgotten, shelved or swept away. It's the Political survival game of doing things, but in the end seldom sees a successful accomplishment in the end. IMHO. thumbsup.gif

post-6579-0-48618000-1422240013_thumb.jp

When I was asked why I didn't launch a lantern during songkran, I told my friend about the thousands of lanterns I saw littering the forest and rivers and the fire one caused at a power pole that burned up the huge bundle of communication wires.

They are a destructive danger to everything.

Stick with the krathong in the river, slightly more environmentally friendly...if made traditionally.

More fine but meaningless words, eg ' tough stance, strict control, crackdown, purge ' etc.

How will this be enforced especially in rural areas ? Anyway, aren't lanterns part of the much vaunted Thainess so this is an attack on culture ? giggle.gif

LOL yea when have Thai govt. ever followed thru consistentently or thoroughly. lol

If Thais would "walk their talk" this place would have a dramatic "about face." Woops..... face is what keeps is lacking in so many areas..... my bad.

• Like 1

This was posted by an officer of the department of civil aviation. The lantern was stuck inside the A320 engine. I personally think they should ban the lanterns full stop.

Agree. They are a novelty but when in the hands of someone who doesn't give a rats about anyone else (eg, typical Thai) then they are a hazard.

A tough stance that would work is BAN them totally.

This was posted by an officer of the department of civil aviation. The lantern was stuck inside the A320 engine. I personally think they should ban the lanterns full stop.

Your photo show a bit of rice paper left by the lantern.....I wonder if the lantern was ingested as the reactor was winding down on the tarmac... in flight I think nothing would be left ,,especially rice paper...but I am not an aviation technician.

Your photo show a bit of rice paper left by the lantern.....I wonder if the lantern was ingested as the reactor was winding down on the tarmac... in flight I think nothing would be left ,,especially rice paper...but I am not an aviation technician.

These lanterns have a wire frame at the base, you can see part of the lanterns metal frame if you look closely. The paper may not be a problem but the wire may have the potential to cause damage.

When I was asked why I didn't launch a lantern during songkran, I told my friend about the thousands of lanterns I saw littering the forest and rivers and the fire one caused at a power pole that burned up the huge bundle of communication wires.

They are a destructive danger to everything.

Stick with the krathong in the river, slightly more environmentally friendly...if made traditionally.

Agree,unfortunately the Thai's do not see the the rubbish.

• Like 1

No fireworks allowed at Loy Kratong. No drinking allowed in the afternoon. No traditional floating lanterns.

Thailand is turning into a nanny state.

I don't think it means "No lanterns" - more a restriction on when they can be launched.

It would have been helpful if the article had stated what the current rules were.

These lanterns have a wire frame at the base, you can see part of the lanterns metal frame if you look closely. The paper may not be a problem but the wire may have the potential to cause damage.

I agree with you about the metal frame but what I am suspicious about this picture are the left over remains of rice paper . This should have be gone with the powerful airflow unless it was ingested in the final moments the turbine was winding down at the gate. I have collected a few around the place I live and the round frame are made from wicker ( Not metal ). the metal part is a very thin metal wire to support the fuel propellant in the middle. This very light metal wiring would not stay long the a turbine either if running at cruising speed.

post-92454-0-06807800-1422245971_thumb.j

post-92454-0-30849000-1422245985_thumb.j

post-92454-0-35003300-1422246004_thumb.j

It appears this is a clash of old and new cultures. Yes, indeed the wire can do damage to a turbine engine. In the past I suspect the lanterns were made of bamboo but still caused fires. If we want our inventions the past culture must pay the price of extinction. This will be hard to enforce. As a former military engine tech I agree that this probably happened on the tarmac.

No fireworks allowed at Loy Kratong. No drinking allowed in the afternoon. No traditional floating lanterns.

Thailand is turning into a nanny state.

no it is turning into a military state. hang on it is

• Like 1

I agree. Guess a lantern landed in the intake of a parked aircraft. The fan turning in the wind could of shredded a used lantern.

It's true that they float back to earth and end up all over the place and in some unique positions.

More fine but meaningless words, eg ' tough stance, strict control, crackdown, purge ' etc.

How will this be enforced especially in rural areas ? Anyway, aren't lanterns part of the much vaunted Thainess so this is an attack on culture ? giggle.gif

+1...Lots of talk, as usual by the gov't.