When do you not have to stop at red light in leftmost lane?

1BADDAT

What are the traffic rules for when you don't have to stop in the leftmost lane? My understanding is that in a T intersection with no traffic flow from the left side, you can proceed at certain intersections. Are these intersections marked with signs in English or Thai? Is there paint on the road to indicate lanes that can proceed? I seem to recall that some intersections have a solid white line across the intersection.

Having been instructed many time by my wife ... understanding is ...

You may turn left at a T Junction or a Crossroads ... even when the lights are RED but only when it is safe to do so AND there is either the sign in Thai that says you can OR the sign in Thai that says you can and a Blue turn left arrow. If you have an accident doing this, assumption is that you are at fault

If there is neither then quite often drivers turn left there but it is actually illegal.

Sorry I don't know about the white lines on the road that you mention.

Thanks for the info, but I am referring to GOING STRAIGHT THRU an intersection where the light is red.

Are you referring to (for example) the many T-intersections on Sukhumvit (say where Pattaya Klang intersects with Sukhumvit) and quite often all the traffic in the left (Sukhumvit) lane continues straight on through despite the red lights indicting otherwise ? (Meanwhile the Pattaya Klang traffic turning right onto Sukhumvit have to watch out for those drivers.)

Are you talking about being in the left lane approaching a junction that only has a right turn option ?

Therefore, when the lights are red, the leftmost lane can proceed straight through even though cars are merging from the right ?

I think he is!

Care to advise him and all of us?

Are you talking about being in the left lane approaching a junction that only has a right turn option ?

Therefore, when the lights are red, the leftmost lane can proceed straight through even though cars are merging from the right ?

I think he is!

Care to advise him and all of us?

Nope...

The only 2 examples that I know of locally to me, have a continous solid white line going through the junction.

I don't stop at red lights unless absolutely necessary :)

• Like 1

There is one place in Pattaya on Sukhumwit at the intersection of Country Club road when if heading north on Sukhumwit in the left most lane you can proceed through the red light. There is a sign in Thai and English. If there is no sign then I wouldn't go through.

As far as I know there is no similar sign at Pattaya Neua or Pattaya Klang on Sukhumwit as you are heading south. At the intersection of Pattaya Tai you better stop because traffic can go into a small side street on the east side of Sukhumwit from Pattaya Tai.

You may turn left at a T Junction or a Crossroads ... even when the lights are RED but only when it is safe to do so AND there is either the sign in Thai that says you can OR the sign in Thai that says you can and a Blue turn left arrow. If you have an accident doing this, assumption is that you are at fault

If there is neither then quite often drivers turn left there but it is actually illegal.

Thanks for the info, but I am referring to GOING STRAIGHT THRU an intersection where the light is red.

I can't imagine the situation you describe where it would look reasonable to ignore a stop light except at 'T' junctions where you have a red and one lane of cars from the right is turning right into the right lane of the road ahead of you leaving your lane free, in this case your lane would have a green light. As far as I know you cannot ignore a red light.

Edit: They have made a sign now for turning left at a red light, it is black print on white with a blue border I think, and has ten characters on it, worth getting to know what they look like. I would write it here but I don't think that Thai is allowed.

Edited by tgeezer

Here in Thailand it could mean anything? and that include Pattaya.

When it is unmarked and the light is red you must stop. There is such a intersection down in Naklua Pattaya across from the NumChai store. I had been just going through for years with my son after school then one day on the otherside I got pull over. I play dumb like I didn't understand what they were saying. They told my son in Thai I didn't stop, 1000 baht fine in Banglamung.

Usually they are mark that you can continue, there is one on Sukhumvit and Pattaya Klang, the left lane you can just go through whether it is red or green, there is a solid white line on the right. that solid line means when you are going through on the left you are not allow to cross the solid line to change lanes until you see it broken.

We have these is Chiang Mai - But there is also a line of orange cones so the cars coming from the tail of the T can not go into that far lane... But I proceed with caution because as per Thai etiquette the motorcycle go right thru the line of cones... coffee1.gif

ABSOLUTELY ONLY WHEN IT IS SAFE, especially in Thailand hahaha

There's always a sign in Thai telling you what you can and can't do.

All I can suggest is you learn to read Thai signs.

Which would seem reasonable as you are in Thailand.

I would say that most times there is no sign.

For the case of turning left at a red light I've seen signs saying 'you can' and signs saying 'you can't'. When there is no sign I consider it 'you can't' and wait.

For the the straight through on red when only a controlled right turn would otherwise be available I've only seen signs saying 'you can' in the leftmost lane. When no sign I wait.

My interpretation and erring on the side of safety. I see many Thai drivers do the same. There are of course always idiots that will rush ahead to get themselves killed.

Just do what ever you want (like most drivers here), but make sure you don't have an accident. The odds that you will be caught and fined by the police here are virtually zero, unless you are involved in an accident.

You appear to have assimilated yourself into the 'me first' system of Thai driving quite well. Hope you have good insurance. Edited by Keesters

There is a sign, usually blue" which says "Talawt Wella" in Thai only with a left arrow. This means you can turn left at any time providing you proceed carefully and it is safe to do so. You should learn to read the signs in Thai.

Good information. The last sentence was unnecessary as people are free to do and decide for themselves.

I'm not in charge. The Thai authorities are.

I can't imagine the situation you describe where it would look reasonable to ignore a stop light except at 'T' junctions where you have a red and one lane of cars from the right is turning right into the right lane of the road ahead of you leaving your lane free, in this case your lane would have a green light. As far as I know you cannot ignore a red light.

Edit: They have made a sign now for turning left at a red light, it is black print on white with a blue border I think, and has ten characters on it, worth getting to know what they look like. I would write it here but I don't think that Thai is allowed.

I totally understand. Don't pee. well maybe a little one.

You can turn left when there is no sign telling you not to. I started to notice these signs appearing about a year ago. The are in Thai and bad English which reads something like "No turn left waiting for light"

Your wrong! ThAT SIGN IS telling you not to turn when there is a red light!

• Like 2

I think the OP is talking about a junction like the one below. The first time I approached this junction the lights were at red and the GF told me to stay in the left lane and go straight through. Needless to say I continued to slow down and started to question her. The guy in front of me pulled into the left hand lane and continued straight through so I followed him. You will see the white line in the left lane continues through the junction. I have done this a few times at this junction now but I still slow down and look for traffic coming from the right. You can see the lorry pulling out from the right in this picture. If I saw that coming I would definitely be giving way.

post-194437-0-23421900-1422275097_thumb.

Edit: After posting I noticed that you could mistake the far left lane as one of the small lanes at the side of the road that scooters use. It is in fact the first of four lanes and there is a straight on arrow painted on the road that is out of shot.

Edited by MW72
  • Like 1

Forget the law, you can make any turn at any time, on any street in Thailand.

An especial favourite manoeuvre is the right turn executed from the leftmost lane, across several intervening lanes - not to be undertaken by the novice.

Thailand vies with Eritrea, the Dominican Republic and Libya for Champ in traffic-related deaths per 100k of population.

• Like 2

You can turn left when there is no sign telling you not to. I started to notice these signs appearing about a year ago. The are in Thai and bad English which reads something like "No turn left waiting for light"

Your wrong! ThAT SIGN IS telling you not to turn when there is a red light!

As in the Pattaya 3rd road junction with Pattaya Klang

I think the OP is talking about a junction like the one below. The first time I approached this junction the lights were at red and the GF told me to stay in the left lane and go straight through. Needless to say I continued to slow down and started to question her. The guy in front of me pulled into the left hand lane and continued straight through so I followed him. You will see the white line in the left lane continues through the junction. I have done this a few times at this junction now but I still slow down and look for traffic coming from the right. You can see the lorry pulling out from the right in this picture. If I saw that coming I would definitely be giving way.

attachicon.gifJunction.png

Edit: After posting I noticed that you could mistake the far left lane as one of the small lanes at the side of the road that scooters use. It is in fact the first of four lanes and there is a straight on arrow painted on the road that is out of shot.

These lights are similar to those at the top of the hill going to Jomtien ie the only other road joins from the right.

I followed, on a m/cy, a Thai going through red in the left hand lane ( a common practice in various parts of Isaan) and duly got pulled by the BiB!

1,000 Baht fine for jumping a red light....... the Thai didn't stop/get stopped.

Edited by Jip99