Tottenham Thread

chonabot

The problem you will have if you sell Bale is then attracting good players. It doesn't send out a good message, but £85m is a lot of wonga. Really Spurs need to keep him for another year and get the CL football, then if he wants to go, ok, and you will have the CL carrot for future targets.

You have hit the nail on the head, once Bale goes then Spurs become an Everton, WBA or even a Swansea, who would also have trouble attracting enough world class players. Indeed you can offer players more money, but do you really want players to come there on big contracts just to see out their time? Spurs are not Man U; whereas they could sell Ronaldo and still have enough in reserve, Spurs do not. Like it or not, at the moment Bale is Spurs, no player is bigger than the club but in this case it's probably true. It's a real toughie whether to sell or hold if a big offer comes. If they sell, I think they will be hard pressed to finish in the top 5, I can't think of any other player who could salvage results for Spurs the way Bale has done. Sell him by all means and try to build a team without him, but be prepared to slide down the league, whilst he enjoys his bananas.

Not in the slightest Ups, Bale has only really been world class for the last 2 seasons, in the previous 2 seasons we finished 4th and 5th.

If we signed some good younger players with the money then i don't think they would be coming here to see out their time.

Looking at it another way, if we spent the whole 85m on 3 new players, would we be stronger or weaker ?

That's the big question Alfie, if Levy strengthens with 2/3 class players that can change/ win games like Bale does now and again (2/3 doing it now and again) then fine. However if he doesn't strengthen or bring in the right players then Bale's 21 points that he got you this year will need to come from somewhere.

The problem you will have if you sell Bale is then attracting good players. It doesn't send out a good message, but £85m is a lot of wonga. Really Spurs need to keep him for another year and get the CL football, then if he wants to go, ok, and you will have the CL carrot for future targets.

You have hit the nail on the head, once Bale goes then Spurs become an Everton, WBA or even a Swansea, who would also have trouble attracting enough world class players. Indeed you can offer players more money, but do you really want players to come there on big contracts just to see out their time? Spurs are not Man U; whereas they could sell Ronaldo and still have enough in reserve, Spurs do not. Like it or not, at the moment Bale is Spurs, no player is bigger than the club but in this case it's probably true. It's a real toughie whether to sell or hold if a big offer comes. If they sell, I think they will be hard pressed to finish in the top 5, I can't think of any other player who could salvage results for Spurs the way Bale has done. Sell him by all means and try to build a team without him, but be prepared to slide down the league, whilst he enjoys his bananas.

Not in the slightest Ups, Bale has only really been world class for the last 2 seasons, in the previous 2 seasons we finished 4th and 5th.

If we signed some good younger players with the money then i don't think they would be coming here to see out their time.

Looking at it another way, if we spent the whole 85m on 3 new players, would we be stronger or weaker ?

That's the big question Alfie, if Levy strengthens with 2/3 class players that can change/ win games like Bale does now and again (2/3 doing it now and again) then fine. However if he doesn't strengthen or bring in the right players then Bale's 21 points that he got you this year will need to come from somewhere.

Don't you start YB biggrin.png anyhow shouldn't you be working ? another way of looking at it is that Spurs turn down 85m and Bale has a shit season or gets injured, how we looking then ? money in the pocket is better than a bird in the bush and all that laugh.png

Levy saw it appropriate to start last season with 4 goalkeepers rather than 4 strikers and Adebeyor only decided to make an effort in the last couple of games.Take Bales goals out and Spurs would have been down with the likes of Fullham etc.With an EPL squad numbering around 25 it does make sense to have some flexibilty and cover and if the likes of Holtby is the best Spurs can do it might be a long season.The bar has been raised for all wanting a top 4 position and the last thing the competition needs is the same 4 clubs taking those positions every season which is the way its headed

• Like 1

Levy saw it appropriate to start last season with 4 goalkeepers rather than 4 strikers and Adebeyor only decided to make an effort in the last couple of games.Take Bales goals out and Spurs would have been down with the likes of Fullham etc.With an EPL squad numbering around 25 it does make sense to have some flexibilty and cover and if the likes of Holtby is the best Spurs can do it might be a long season.The bar has been raised for all wanting a top 4 position and the last thing the competition needs is the same 4 clubs taking those positions every season which is the way its headed

Be fair Sparkles, at least I placed them with Everton & WBA.

Gareth Bale scored more winning goals than any other EPL player - others can do the math.

Holtby is a full German international and he has nice hair, which he makes sure doesn't go out of place during a game. wink.png

With the right mentoring, Bale will decide that it is in his best interests to stay at Spurs for at least this year. He's still a puppy and has youth on his side and so he can carry on with his development. He's also a nice homely lad who loves nipping up to see his mum, moving abroad can have a huge negative impact on a move to a strange country and new culture. IMO, if Spurs don't get in the Champions League, next year would be about right to make a big move.

P.S. Don't worry alfie. Bale will be worth as much (if not more) next year. thumbsup.gif BTW, I'm a Man City fan.

Edited by ConnectionNotGuaranteed

Thats the only salient point to emerge from the ashes of UPS post Alf. biggrin.png What will Levy do if he has 85m in his hands?

I believe that if the 85 mill is a genuine offer, then Spurs should let him go. In fact for anything north of 50 mill, I would let him go IF as a fan, I knew the money would be ploughed back into the team...... but thats the million dolla question with Levy. Can a leopard change its spots?

I think Bale had a spectacular season last season, his value is about as high as it will go. I feel that his style of play is always inviting an injury and does anyone believe he can get any better than last year? With respect, the only way I could see him improve is if he was surrounded by world class players.

Spurs should sell, buy 3 top class players and let Uncle Daniel pocket a million or 10. I believe the squad would be strong enough for top 4. But by keeping Bale and giving him more than twice what every other player is on, for me there is too much downside.

I think Spurs are too reliant on Bale. Yes he is world class, but only an injury away from disaster. Sell while the price is high.

• Like 1

It appears a lot of people were right, Bale has been spotted in Spain 14.gif

Never. Harry said when he told Gareth to take a short break, expecting him to go to somewhere sunny for a few days, he went to see his Mum in Cardiff.

It's all very well saying sell him because he may get injured, but does that mean you will never fight for the premiership because when a players value gets high you will sell him?

Personally I don't think Bale will go this season, neither do I think the £85 million figure is anywhere near accurate. Real might go up to 50, but no more. Do you think he is better and more marketable than Neymar?? No, neither do I.

It's all very well saying sell him because he may get injured, but does that mean you will never fight for the premiership because when a players value gets high you will sell him?

Personally I don't think Bale will go this season, neither do I think the £85 million figure is anywhere near accurate. Real might go up to 50, but no more. Do you think he is better and more marketable than Neymar?? No, neither do I.

I don't think Neymar is more marketable than Bale. Maybe its that squirrel on Neymar's head that makes people think so. thumbsup.gif

We need to speculate before we can accumulate enough points and more importantly goals next season.

Catch 22 as far as Daniel Levy is concerned. He'll have a net spend of no more than £5m I reckon this summer.

The Green Shield stamps might come in handy then.

I think they would be a better team.

If they sold him for 85 mill, and bought, for example Jovetic, Dzeko and Isco for about 65 million combined. They would be a better team, and would have a great chance of finishing top 4.

I am not saying that those 3 players are being sought by Spurs, just that it gives an example of what is available in the market

• Like 1

DAVID MOYES

• Like 1

I don't think Neymar is more marketable than Bale. Maybe its that squirrel on Neymar's head that makes people think so. thumbsup.gif

He is in the right fit. he's superbly skillful, electric. give him the openings and he will deliver for barca.

• Like 1

My advice to Gareth would be to leave it a while before going anywhere like Real Madrid.

I wouldn't be confident that he could do week in week out what he does for Spurs in the Spanish League.

I'm a Chelsea fan and just a poster on TVF, so ....

But he's a bl**** good footballer.

You have sold good players in the recent past, made a decent profit, ended up in the top 4. I'd have to agree at taking the money now if it is ridiculous and buy 3 or 4 top class players, they will come. A lot can happen in a season.

And I can never understand how people say well without Bale you wouldn't have got x amount of goals and x amount of points, and would have ended up in X position in the table. I don't see how that is possible to conclude that.

Edited by BangrakBob

He is in the right fit. he's superbly skillful, electric. give him the openings and he will deliver for barca.

But better than Bale Carmine ? More marketable than Bale ? I don't doubt his skills for a second, but he hasn't played any football outside Brazil, save for international play. He's lighter than a feather. Sanchez came to Barca from Udinese much ballyhooed with a not dissimilar skill set from Neymar. He has definitely not set the world on fire. If it were me opening the wallet, I'd go for the sure thing in Bale.

All that said, being a Barca fan I hope Neymar tears it up..and if Bale heads to Madrid...

I don't think Neymar is more marketable than Bale. Maybe its that squirrel on Neymar's head that makes people think so. :thumbsup:

But better than Bale Carmine ? More marketable than Bale ? I don't doubt his skills for a second, but he hasn't played any football outside Brazil, save for international play. He's lighter than a feather. Sanchez came to Barca from Udinese much ballyhooed with a not dissimilar skill set from Neymar. He has definitely not set the world on fire. If it were me opening the wallet, I'd go for the sure thing in Bale.

All that said, being a Barca fan I hope Neymar tears it up..and if Bale heads to Madrid...

Fair does JD. It never really worked for Kaka at RM. Maybe Gareth's straightforward, no nonsense skill set is the key.

Edited by SinglePot

Theres many a top notch player thats been used in the wrong way. Thierry on the wing springs to mind. Wenger knew a lot better. That aside, Neymar played in the right way is unbelievable. Believe me, i like south american football in general and i follow it as much as i can, he's awesome. His ball control and general technical ability is unbelievable He just needs to put on a few pounds of muscle to be the real deal.

Edited by carmine

yeah, i'de defo fall on the the 'take the money' side, like most spurs fans on here my only concern would be that the money would disappear into the unknown rather than go into team building, however I do think that the criticism of Levy has been a little over the top, when the deals been right, he hasn't balked at spending large 4 THAT TIME, berbatov was a lot of money as was modric, and a few others, trouble is now when opposition with far larger budgets are paying 25/30m, were hitting ground that eats big time into our budget and if done badly could in the future prove 2 make things dificult?, so, IMO, better we take a little care than live to regret, but saying that it doesn't rectify our glaring squad weakness'sthumbsup.gif

Be fair Sparkles, at least I placed them with Everton & WBA.

Gareth Bale scored more winning goals than any other EPL player - others can do the math.

Holtby is a full German international and he has nice hair, which he makes sure doesn't go out of place during a game. wink.png

It would need a force nine hurricane to put a hair on Bale's barnet out of place.

• Like 1

Theres many a top notch player thats been used in the wrong way. Thierry on the wing springs to mind. Wenger knew a lot better. That aside, Neymar played in the right way is unbelievable. Believe me, i like south american football in general and i follow it as much as i can, he's awesome. His ball control and general technical ability is unbelievable He just needs to put on a few pounds of muscle to be the real deal.

Good to know I'm not the only South American football fan. I spent many years watching the football circus in Argentina.

• Like 1

Levy saw it appropriate to start last season with 4 goalkeepers rather than 4 strikers

Why would we want 4 strikers when we only play 1 up front and whats that got do with 4 goalkeepers 40.gif

Alfie has a big 'ol headache today.wink.png

First £100m player.

You read it here first....I beat the ooh ahh to it this time. smile.png

Bale's going nowhere chaps...get over it yet again.

Real will do their usual thing. They will keep upping the price until they break the selling club's nerve. Spurs will agree to sell (Levy won't be able to help himself) and then be gradually forced down way below the price they were refusing before.

First £100m player.

You read it here first....I beat the ooh ahh to it this time. smile.png

Bale's going nowhere chaps...get over it yet again.

Real will do their usual thing. They will keep upping the price until they break the selling club's nerve. Spurs will agree to sell (Levy won't be able to help himself) and then be gradually forced down way below the price they were refusing before.

Bale will be a Tottenham player next season. get over yourselvesthumbsup.gif

First £100m player.

As bales on a 3 plus year contract and will have a 'reasonably' competitive package that bit of brilliant business logic to lower the price will happen exactly how?