Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Well your 'coaching team' dont seem to believe in Holding Midfielders..........http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur/spurs_coach_holding_midfielders_are_overrated_just_look_at_man_city_1_3254990

Ferdinand seems to be talking a load of <deleted> to me!! The reason Yaya has scored so many goals this year is because Fernandhino has been exceptional in front of the back 4, allowing Yaya to get forward. Unfortunately Spurs dont have anyone of that calibre.

I still think you have wasted Bales' money, bought a lot of mediocrity. The more I see of Soldado, the more I shake my head in wondermentblink.png .

And I think its a mistake that your bosses are meeting with other managers DURING the season, especially with only 7 games left... Cant be good for team morale. Sherwood has given up already, I reckon, and who can blame him.

Miracle in the second half? Highly unlikely!sad.png

Did you read this post Mystic :

I see even Merson has joined the band of ( I call them )" wise after the eventers" to slag off Spurs summer signings, a true football expert would have the knowledge to slag then then off when first bought but i don't recall anyone doing that, now all the so called experts are coming out of the woodwork with their cheap shots.

It seems to me a lot people don't know the difference between a bad player and a player who is out of form, many players have struggled in their first season at a club but the so called experts seem to forget this !

If anyone can name one new Spurs signing of the 7 who came to the club without a decent cv I'd be surprised.

Mystic, Mystic, Mystic what have I told you about coming on here with the wrong facts, what mangers are our bosses meeting up with with only 7 seven games to go ?

First of all, you dont get to tell me anything, including what I can post, or where I post itwink.png

The meeting between De Gaal and Levy has been reported by several agencies, including this one......http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26798631

Had it not been true, then Levy should have come out and denied it.

If you go back a few months you will see that most posters who were not Spurs fans, were coming on here taking the mickey about the standard of players you had bought.laugh.png

I, myself seem to have had a tete a tete with you regarding the value to our respective teams regarding Paulinho and Fernandhino. I seem to remember saying wait till the end of the season..... well it seems I dont need to wait that long as Paulinho cant even get a regular game with your sorry lot!laugh.png

Regarding decent cv's..................... Kevin Phillips and Grant Holt have decent cvsbiggrin.png

But when you are selling a world class player like Bale, you need to bring in like for like or as near to it as possible.... Spurs didnt do that.

Bu t some of you guys on here are the original flip floppers!!!!! AVB is a great manager with potential, now you slag him off. Sherwood a young and upcoming manager with lots of potential.... you guys were singing his praises a few months ago...... now he's getting slagged off!!

Try signing a player thats "already acknowledged" as world class if you don't have champions league football.

Regards posters coming on here and slagging our new signings i noticed it was just the usual suspects so nothing to get alarmed about. With incoming players, i tend to let them have a season to adjust before judging them. If they get crocked early i'll give them longer.

Regards the Fernandinho/Paulinho debate i acknowledge, and to my surprise that your man has had the better season. He's adjusted quickly. However, he's maybe 4/5 years older than Paulinho and you paid 30m for him, we paying 17m. I'm still happy with our choice of player although i expect him to flourish under new management, not under Sherwood. You understandably think your man the better player but i doubt you'll find a Brazillian that would agree. I'll hold my hands up if he doesn't improve next season but he needs a new coach, someone other than nTim who'll pick Bentaleb seemingly regardless of any situation.

BTW, i've never slagged off AVB and never agreed with his sacking and still think we would be better off keeping him.

Fair points.Fernandhino is actually 3 yrs older than Paulinho. We are entitled to our own opinions.

Are you saying you are not disappointed with who you eventually signed? Or are you saying they have under- performed or even been mis- managed?

I apologise if I have mistakenly identified you as slagging off AVB. I know in the beginning you were vociferous in supporting him, but I thought towards the end you were wishing him a speedy departurelaugh.png .

Certainly I remember you saying wonderful things about Sherwood, several months ago ( which I agreed with). Personally I dont think he has been given a fair crack of the whip. He has had to deal with players who he didnt buy and who I personally dont think are that good. He seemed to work the oracle with Adebayor for a while. Maybe he is tactically naive, or maybe he is trying things out, but as you have no chance of CL, then your point of not being able to attract world class players, would that not be the same for the manager. I think they should have given Sherwood some money this summer and seen what he can do next year. But thats me looking in from the outside.

Serious question for carmine and any other Spurs fan who wants to answer a serious question.

Your feelings on qualifying for Europa League?

carmine, upon trawling through previous posts, several months ago, you were stating that you felt Spurs had a chance of winning the cup and you hoped they would give it 100%. Now on the United thread you are saying you hope Spurs dont qualify this year??? Whats the thinking behind that? I think Spurs are a few years away from being able to qualify for CL. Same as City were several years ago. I remember City qualifying for what was then UEFA cup, and being ecstatic!!!

If you have no chance of CL, which next season I believe you will be around 6th or 7th best, then why not get your boys experience in Europe?

I understand the extra fixtures angle, but surely you have a big enough squad to handle that?

Beggars cant be choosers, as the saying goes. I am speaking of experience of following a team for years without success. I would have walked over hot coals to see them compete in UEFACup..

• Like 2

I think you'll find most of us are just sick of Sunday football. No disrespect to the cup itself.

So would you rather play on Thursday and Sunday and have an outside chance of winning something, as well as getting European experience. Or play on a Saturday with no chance of winning anything?

Serious question for carmine and any other Spurs fan who wants to answer a serious question.

carmine, upon trawling through previous posts, several months ago, you were stating that you felt Spurs had a chance of winning the cup and you hoped they would give it 100%. Now on the United thread you are saying you hope Spurs dont qualify this year??? Whats the thinking behind that? I think Spurs are a few years away from being able to qualify for CL. Same as City were several years ago. I remember City qualifying for what was then UEFA cup, and being ecstatic!!!

If you have no chance of CL, which next season I believe you will be around 6th or 7th best, then why not get your boys experience in Europe?

I understand the extra fixtures angle, but surely you have a big enough squad to handle that?

Beggars cant be choosers, as the saying goes. I am speaking of experience of following a team for years without success. I would have walked over hot coals to see them compete in UEFACup..

For me, the Europa League is too demanding on a squad that wants to try and break in to the top 4, there are too many games with long travelling distances, more than the Champs League.

On top of that, the joke of it all is the entry of Champ League teams that enter in the knock out stage and nearly always end up going on to win it, so what's the point in taking it seriously when initial teams always end up getting knocked out in the later stages anyway?

• Like 1

For me, the Europa League is too demanding on a squad that wants to try and break in to the top 4, there are too many games with long travelling distances, more than the Champs League.

On top of that, the joke of it all is the entry of Champ League teams that enter in the knock out stage and nearly always end up going on to win it, so what's the point in taking it seriously when initial teams always end up getting knocked out in the later stages anyway?

But if, realistically, you have no chance of breaking into top 4, then surely it is worth while?

Although I dont agree with the CL teams having a second chance by diverting into the Europa Cup, from a football fans point of view, surely it is better seeing your team play and hopefully compete and beat the 'better' teams.

Personally if I were an Everton or Spurs fan, I would welcome the Europa Cup, if finishing 5th or 6th

If the Europa is too demanding, what is the point of wanting to be in the Champions League? Same, same no?

No, not the same at all, because if a team is in the Champs League, they will attract better players to be able to compete, and the club will earn a lot more money.

But if, realistically, you have no chance of breaking into top 4, then surely it is worth while?

Although I dont agree with the CL teams having a second chance by diverting into the Europa Cup, from a football fans point of view, surely it is better seeing your team play and hopefully compete and beat the 'better' teams.

Personally if I were an Everton or Spurs fan, I would welcome the Europa Cup, if finishing 5th or 6th

When Spurs qaulified for the Champ League a few seasons ago they didn't have the European football as a distraction that season, just like Liverpool this season.

When they finished 4th 2 seasons ago under Redknapp, they didn't take the Europa seriously

and ended up playing the kids who didn't qualify from the group stage.

So realistically Spurs do believe they can break in to the top 4, just like they have done twice in the last few years.

Edited by sotsira
  • Like 1

2015 Europa winners get CL spot

Yeah i know, and i reckon the reason UEFA changed the rules is because many clubs didn't take the Europa seriously enough.

But i still think it's a big risk trying to put all your eggs in one basket and try to win it to get a Champs League spot, when it affects your premier league performances.

• Like 1

Not many teams have competed for the Europa and successfully challenged 4 a top 4 spot,,tbh off the top of my head, cant think of any?, 2 get into the Europa most have had, by their own standards, Swansea stoke ect ect, v successful seasons, followed by mediocre runs in the Europa and poor follow up domestic seasons, some stutter and some just fail and stutter to recover, could be argued the Europa was a major factor in costing pullis his job, Bottom line it seems a lot of pain for what gain ? winning it with champ lge clubs coming in late makes it difficult, arguably unfairly, imo needs to be more achievable and attractive for clubs in from it start.

Edited by rijit

I think you'll find most of us are just sick of Sunday football. No disrespect to the cup itself.

So would you rather play on Thursday and Sunday and have an outside chance of winning something, as well as getting European experience. Or play on a Saturday with no chance of winning anything?

I'll ignore the perceived dig at the end just to say that we care about Europa qualification less than we want to just have a normal fixture list. Year on year Sunday football week in week out is draining for the fans.

I don't think the CL place will make a huge difference to the competition....apart from making it much more competitive from Feb onwards.

Can't say it will be a race to the finish between us an Man Utd....more likely we will be pushing each other towards the line! biggrin.png

I think the Europa schedule is too demanding. Especially for EPL teams who have plenty on their plate.

Needs to be trimmed down.

The Europa League has a major problem IMHO and that is they let the 8 teams who finish 3rd in the Champions League are allowed a second bit of the cherry by being admitted into the Europa.

• Like 2

First and foremost Tim sherwood may well prove to be a very good manager but at the end of the day he needs to learn his trade at a lower level first. the naivety of selecting a defensive pairing of Bentaleb and Sigurrdson for christs sake was one of staggering stupidity. Sherwood has done an excellent job by all account coaching our youth players but doing that well is a far cry from taking the first team to a top four finish. We need experience.

Regards the Europa, i think the current frailties in our squad coupled with the likelihood of a change of manager suggest we are better off not qualifying for it. Personally i'm fed up playing thursdays in the backwaters in meaningless fixtures only to have to play sunday afternoon catch up every week. The tournament has little kudos due to allowing in the CL fall out and the rewards financially are a waste of time.

It does effect league performance and i feel we are better served concentrating out transition season on the league and giving it a real go in both the FA and whatever its called cup. Unlike you Jack, i thing we could qualify for the top four as we have done twice already recently but i doubt we will if we have to persevere with that dull and rather irrelevant tournament. we have proved in recent seasons that despite City's huge advantage over everyone we can still mix it with you in challenging for the top four but put simple, to do that and compete in the Europoa is too much and i have greater aspirations for Spurs than clearly you have!

Quite where you get the thinking behind us being "a few years away from qualifying for the CL is beyond me. Perhaps i could ask you to take a look at last the top seven finishes over the past three years paying particular attention to the points finish of both Spurs and Liverpool. Then come back and explain your thinking. Look at the manner in which they have improved and how we regressed over a four month period this season. My point is we can very realistically qualify for the CL next season and Liverpool have proved just that.

• Like 2

Another thing to note regarding playing in the Europa Cup is that each match you play gains points that go towards calculating a club's UEFA Team Ranking which, in turn, determines the seeding, should the club qualify for the CL.

An example of this is that Man C are currently ranked the same as last season at 22, despite getting out of the group stage in the CL, whereas Tottenham have climbed from 24 last season to 18, currently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients#League_coefficient

It doesn't matter if you agree with the ranking system, or not, it is the method that determines which pot you go in to in the draw, and it looks as if Man C will be in the same pot as this season.

Another thing to note regarding playing in the Europa Cup is that each match you play gains points that go towards calculating a club's UEFA Team Ranking which, in turn, determines the seeding, should the club qualify for the CL.

An example of this is that Man C are currently ranked the same as last season at 22, despite getting out of the group stage in the CL, whereas Tottenham have climbed from 24 last season to 18, currently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients#League_coefficient

It doesn't matter if you agree with the ranking system, or not, it is the method that determines which pot you go in to in the draw, and it looks as if Man C will be in the same pot as this season.

The sneaky little &lt;deleted&gt; have their ways and wiles to get ya to sign up for their long, tedious parade of mostly nonentities. "UEFA Team Ranking"...has a certain unpleasant odor to it.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Agree with jellydog. The whole Europa thing looks very complicated.

Very easy for clubs to lose the plot trying to balance it all I would have thought.

It has done Swansea no favours this season, and I am sure there are other examples.

Might work Ok for clubs in some other countries, but for EPL teams it looks like a lot of hard work with not that much to gain.

I might be taking too simple a view of it though.

Quite where you get the thinking behind us being "a few years away from qualifying for the CL is beyond me. Perhaps i could ask you to take a look at last the top seven finishes over the past three years paying particular attention to the points finish of both Spurs and Liverpool. Then come back and explain your thinking. Look at the manner in which they have improved and how we regressed over a four month period this season. My point is we can very realistically qualify for the CL next season and Liverpool have proved just that.

I guess it comes down to opinions.

I am assuming City, Chelsea and now Liverpool will be top 3 next year. I am assuming United cant get any worse, will probably get rid of Moyes and spend a fair bit in the summer, and will maybe challenge for top 4 next year. Then the ever perennial Arsenal. Will fall short, but Spurs just cant seem to finish above them.

And Southampton IF they keep their stars, will be even better next year.

Now my personal opinion is that the players Spurs have bought are simply not good enough. Maybe next year will prove me wrong, but I dont think so. Therefore your new manager, hopefully is a good one, will want to bring in his own players... its going to take a year or 2 to get a settled side.... thats why I am saying 'a few' years away from CL.

Bookmark this page and ram it down my throat if I am proven wrong... but I dont think I am.

Edited by JacknDanny

First and foremost Tim sherwood may well prove to be a very good manager but at the end of the day he needs to learn his trade at a lower level first. the naivety of selecting a defensive pairing of Bentaleb and Sigurrdson for christs sake was one of staggering stupidity. Sherwood has done an excellent job by all account coaching our youth players but doing that well is a far cry from taking the first team to a top four finish. We need experience.

Regards the Europa, i think the current frailties in our squad coupled with the likelihood of a change of manager suggest we are better off not qualifying for it. Personally i'm fed up playing thursdays in the backwaters in meaningless fixtures only to have to play sunday afternoon catch up every week. The tournament has little kudos due to allowing in the CL fall out and the rewards financially are a waste of time.

It does effect league performance and i feel we are better served concentrating out transition season on the league and giving it a real go in both the FA and whatever its called cup. Unlike you Jack, i thing we could qualify for the top four as we have done twice already recently but i doubt we will if we have to persevere with that dull and rather irrelevant tournament. we have proved in recent seasons that despite City's huge advantage over everyone we can still mix it with you in challenging for the top four but put simple, to do that and compete in the Europoa is too much and i have greater aspirations for Spurs than clearly you have!

Imagine if Everton get in the CL, that's 2 new teams in there and 2 experienced teams in the Arse & Scum knocking on the door to get back in. Then there's your lot, although not reflected in your points tally it would be fair to say you have regressed and come this summer what you did 2 seasons ago has no bearing on how you will fair because of your 2013/14 regression. You have no manager and a whole team low on form and self esteem, like battered victims. Now you compare that to Liverpool's form from January 2013 onwards and you'll see a stark contrast. I'm with Jack, the only door you'll be knocking on is the Samaritans.

Edited by BangrakBob