The Lost Souls of Thailand's Full-Moon Parties

Jonathan Fairfield

The Lost Souls of Thailand's Full-Moon Parties

Haad Rin is an idyllic beach on the island of Koh Phangan in Thailand. But if its white sand and clear waters could speak, they would tell you stories of booze, drugs, and bodily fluids.

The parties held here every full moon can attract up to 30,000 people from all over the world. For years, Day-Glo backpackers have flocked here to get smashed on mushrooms and drink vodkas and Red Bull from a bucket while listening to David Guetta and psychedelic trance.
Photographer Ender Suenni has been documenting these parties for the last couple of years. Growing up in Berlin, another place famous for its untamed lifestyle, Ender was interested in these parallel worlds but was confused by some of the behavior—in particular the notion that wearing neon colors has anything to do with having "an authentic rave experience."
When morning comes, the beach is littered with lost souls bearing all sorts of wounds from the night before, stumbling on under the watchful eyes of confused locals.
Check out Suenni's photos here.
Source: Vice
  • Like 1

...except the bottoms of the girls have got much, much bigger, it seems.

Nah, selective memory.

Your brain wasn't getting enough oxygen, because your blood supply was otherwise engaged. Happened to all of us.

Edited by impulse

I went when I was 22 and it was just plain awful. People off their heads on drugs. People pissing in the sea 'cos they were too lazy to go to toilet or didn't wanna pay the 5 Baht fee.

It's 5 baht for a piss? at my local market it's 2 baht and that's Bangkok, the thieving buggers smile.png Just forced myself to look at the pics and they are pretty poor photographically, bad exposureand composition.

Edited by dragonfly94

Some classic photos in that set. I personally liked the girl that wrote

I NEED SEX on her leg, the girl with the big a$$ wearing a T shirt

that said BIG A$$, and the girl that looks like a beached whale laying on

top of some guy. I used to live on Samui, and friends kept trying to get

me to go to the full moon party. Now I am glad I never went......

Well at least the Thais must be getting a good laugh at these antics.

• Like 2

I went in 2000, music was crap, it was a forgettable party. If i had to choose between bowel surgery and going back again, I'd need some time to mull it over.

And interestingly, I thought the music scene would grow more in Thailand (I've been here since 2000) but apparently it hasn't. Make a few exceptions for some places in BKK, but otherwise, naaaah.

• Like 2

whistling.gif Just to show you how old I am, I can remember "holy rollers" telling my generation that Rock and Roll (as in Buddy Holley:s music) was the seed of the devil and the "souls" destruction.

Wasn't true then, not true now.

Scientists have shown that the prefrontal cortex of the human brain ...... where many value judgements are formed ..... is not fully developed until about 25 years of age in the average human brain.

That fact may explain why many people between 18 and 25 years old do such silly things they regret later.

Like "full moon parties".

I was the same way once, but many years ago now.

Whatever.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

My wife and I at lived in samui for 6 years, after several years on Samui, I was 45 years old at the time, we decided to check out the party at Hadrin. We arived at about 9pm and walked through the crowd. about 10 minutes later we walked to the dock to get the hell out of there. The last boat was just leaving and wouldn't take us, such nice island Thai folk, so we hung out at the pier until 6am before any boat would take us home. We got to talk all night with some younger Norwegian kids that thought the party sucked. Welcome to the Thai island life.