schengen visa for cruise ship holiday around med, help pls?

Hi, I live in the UK, I am a British passport holder, and live with my thai wife and 2 thai step children here. They have indefinite leave to remain.

I would like to take my family on a holiday on a cruise ship around the Mediterranean. Would be for about 10 nights

Fly to Italy, board the ship. The ship will call at italy, Greece, spain and France then return to Italy, where we fly home.

I know little about obtaining these visas.

Would i need a visa for each country? Will be a bit of a headache if i do.

would i need to provide receipts for the booking and air flights before i apply?

what other Information would i need to give

bit of a nightmare if they said no, after i had paid for the holiday.

If too complicated would be a lot easier to sail out of Singapore. Though i would love to show them the sights of the med.

Any help welcome

In theory as the wife of an EU National she could travel to, and within, the EU visa free, however it would be easier to obtain a Schengen Visa, if only to satisfy the airline, which should be supplied free, and quickly.

She only needs the one visa and as you seem to have no main destination, then she should apply at the country where she enters the Schengen Area, in your case Italy. If you are spending considerably longer in another member state then you should apply at their consulate.

As the wife of an EU National, exercising the right of free movement, she wont need to provide proof of affordability, insurance, details of travel or hotels, but she will need to provide evidence that you are travelling together, the flight/cruise details should suffice.

• Like 1

In theory as the wife of an EU National she could travel to, and within, the EU visa free, however it would be easier to obtain a Schengen Visa, if only to satisfy the airline, which should be supplied free, and quickly.

She only needs the one visa and as you seem to have no main destination, then she should apply at the country where she enters the Schengen Area, in your case Italy. If you are spending considerably longer in another member state then you should apply at their consulate.

As the wife of an EU National, exercising the right of free movement, she wont need to provide proof of affordability, insurance, details of travel or hotels, but she will need to provide evidence that you are travelling together, the flight/cruise details should suffice.

She definitely will need a Schengen Visa, issued by the country where she enter the Schengen community first. There is no such right to travel free as an European's wife. Usually the cruise ship agency will help and provide all necessary documents to obtain the visa. Should not be a big thing.

To the OP : Enjoy your trip.

Fatfather

She definitely will need a Schengen Visa, issued by the country where she enter the Schengen community first. There is no such right to travel free as an European's wife. Usually the cruise ship agency will help and provide all necessary documents to obtain the visa. Should not be a big thing.

Fatfather

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Right to move and right of residence for up to three months

All Union citizens have the right to enter another Member State by virtue of having an identity card or valid passport. Under no circumstances can an entry or exit visa be required. Where the citizens concerned do not have travel documents, the host Member State must afford them every reasonable means in obtaining the requisite documents or having them sent.

Family members who do not have the nationality of a Member State enjoy the same rights as the citizen who they have accompanied. They may be subject to a short-stay visa requirement under Regulation (EC) No 539/2001. Residence permits will be deemed equivalent to short-stay visas.

For stays of less than three months, the only requirement on Union citizens is that they possess a valid identity document or passport. The host Member State may require the persons concerned to register their presence in the country within a reasonable and non-discriminatory period of time.

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/internal_market/living_and_working_in_the_internal_market/l33152_en.htm But as I said, it's easier to get a visa, which should be issued free.

As I also said, a visa should be applied for the country which is the main destination, that may not necessarily be the country where you first enter the Schengen areas, some Consulates are particularly robust in their interpretation of this.

I do agree that the application process should be straightforward.

The old Git pretty much covered everything:

- It's best to get a entirely free Schengen visa, though in theory your wife could travel without such while accompanying you (EU national traveling through/in other EU/EEA nations) but it's not worth the hasstle with airliners or any officials who wish to inspect or stamp pasports/visa stickers.

- Get the visa from the country that is your firest destination, Italy, as there is no clear main destination judgin from yuor post. Or will the ship stay in port somewhere longer then elsewhere and thus you spending the most time in that country. In that case you should apply for a visa from said country.

--- I'd simply make an appointment with the Italian embassy (in the UK). I don't know if they have an appointment system in place (the one in BKK does) or an appointed service partner (the one in BKK does). If they do, be aware that the service provider (VFS, TLS) is entirely optional for all applicants, but most certainly EU/EEA family members. No service fee should be due unless one makes a conscious decision to apply via the service provider rather then dealing directly with the embassy. Some Schengen embassies try to lure/trap people in applying via VFS/TLS, such as the French embassy in London, which is actually a violation of the EU Schengen Code on Visa. Embassies are obligated to clearly and correctly inform the applicant about all aspects of visa applications including the right of direct access to embassies.

- A Schengen visa gives access to the entire Schengen area. \

- The application process should take 2 weeks at most (and the application, if required should be granted within 15 calendar days). So at most it should take a month, but as EU/EEA applications should be given priority, you probably should get everything in order within a week. Perhaps a bit less or a bit longer.

- More info: the Schengen sticky (see the section EU/EEA applications), embassy website and EU webpage on traveling with EU family.

Some great advice there, thank you very much.

Looks like it is quite straight forward

Will try and phone the Italian embassy on Monday

Looking at the allure of the seas, royal Carribean. A great ship for kids.

Cheers

Some great advice there, thank you very much.

Looks like it is quite straight forward

Will try and phone the Italian embassy on Monday

Looking at the allure of the seas, royal Carribean. A great ship for kids.

Cheers

I have done quite a few cruises with Royal Caribbean and trust me you will not be disappointed.

Have a nice time.

• 7 months later...

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would 'piggy-back' on this one.

A friend (UK citizen/Thai wife) has a UK visitor visa for his wife to visit the UK.

There is an opportunity to take a P&O European cruise and I understand that the only port of call will be Lisbon.

They have no intention of getting off the ship when it docks in Lisbon and will remaon aboard at all times.

Is a Schengen visa required in these circumstances ?

Edited by Jip99

A friend (UK citizen/Thai wife) has a UK visitor visa for his wife to visit the UK.

There is an opportunity to take a P&O European cruise and I understand that the only port of call will be Lisbon.

They have no intention of getting off the ship when it docks in Lisbon and will remaon aboard at all times.

Being in the UK on a visitor visa would mean a Schengen visa for travel to Europe. I doubt very much if they would allow her to board without it.

• Like 1

Being in the UK on a visitor visa would mean a Schengen visa for travel to Europe. I doubt very much if they would allow her to board without it.

Thanks. My logic was that as she is not setting foot on dry land she would have no immigration to deal with.

I suspect that Sandy is correct, I would imagine that they would have one set of requirements for all their passengers and will err on the side of caution, they don't know who is or isn't going to get off the ship at the various port of call, even though there would no doubt be Immigration Controls.

I think your friend might be advised to call the P&O Customer Care Centre on 0843 374 0111 for a definitive answer. Though P&O contract out their visa services to CIBT on 0207 620 6487, whatever your friend does don't let them get the visa, they will charge an arm and a leg.

I would be inclined to err on the side of caution and get a visa in Thailand, as the spouse of an EU National they should issued free.

Fatfather

I'm surprised to hear you say this: "Usually the cruise ship agency will help and provide all necessary documents to obtain the visa. Should not be a big thing."

In my experience of taking my Thai girlfriend on cruises, the cruise ship company (I don't know what you mean by agency) are not at all interested in helping with visas. They don't want to know. And this is also what I've read many times on cruise forums.

In my experience, cruise lines will not let any passenger onboard without the required visa(s) - even if you say you will not leave the ship. They are not interested.

If you Google cruise forums you will find confirmation of what I am saying.

A few (very few) small countries, which normally require tourists to have a visa, will allow a cruise ship passenger to enter the country for the duration of the stop providing it's not overnight.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all, interesting topic, I would like to take my Thai GF on a cruise in the med too, Spain, France, Italy ...  There doesn't seem to be any shortcuts for visas,

does that mean she would have to apply for a normal tourist visa to all countries involved?  imagine if she was to do a world tour.. 

any comments would be appreciated and thanks for your time.

4 minutes ago, eriksen said:

Hi all, interesting topic, I would like to take my Thai GF on a cruise in the med too, Spain, France, Italy ...  There doesn't seem to be any shortcuts for visas,

does that mean she would have to apply for a normal tourist visa to all countries involved?  imagine if she was to do a world tour.. 

Your G/F needs a Schengen Visa which relates to the country first entered, She is then free to travel within the Schengen area.

A world tour would be a very different thing and would depend on the countries you were going to.

A difference too in your situation. The OP was going with his wife and kids on ILR. Is your GF here on a visit visa. It makes a difference. It probably shouldn't, but it does.

Typically your GF should apply for the Schengen visa in Thailand.

7 hours ago, eriksen said:

Schengen visa will suffice.

My wife and I take cruises every year and then cruise from Europe to the US for a holiday. On your cruise you will need a Schengen Visa

issued by Italy for the day of arrival to the day you fly back home. You will need insurance for her, I normally buy BUPA Travel Insurance online. Take your travel documents including your marriage certificate to the Italy Embassy which I believe is in the Silom Complex,

but you'll need to check. It will take one day and then they will mail your wife's passport back to her. PM me if you need more info.

The OP isn't married.

Eriksen. Where is your GF at the moment? Thailand or the UK? If in Thailand here are the details of the Italian Embassy. They use VFS just as the UK Embassy does

Italian Embassy Bangkok

http://www.ambbangkok.esteri.it/ambasciata_bangkok/en/informazioni_e_servizi/visti/

VFS

http://www.vfsglobal.com/italy/thailand/tourist.html

Application form

http://www.vfsglobal.com/italy/thailand/pdf/Checklist-for-Tourist-Application.pdf

Unless I missed it we do not know what the main Scbengen country of stay is. Or if there is no clear answer to that, what country they will enter first. Italy? Spain? Other? That country is where you need to apply.

See the Schengen  sticky topic:

-----------

Where / how to apply?
You can apply at the embassy. Most require an appointment, an appointment should be granted within 2 weeks of the request (article 9 of the Visa Code). Be aware that many embassies have outsourced part of their visa application process to external service providers such as VFS Global or TLS Contact. These are just handling agencies and you are not obligated to use their service, let alone to pay their service fee. (Article 17 of the Visa Code states so). Further details are explained in the Visa Code. You can find the Visa Code and Visa Handbook here:

(...)

You will need to apply at the embassy of the country which the applicant will be traveling to: the country were the applicant will spent the most time, or if there is no clear main destination then you need to apply at the country which you will visit first). For a Friends visa or Family visa this most often will be the country in which the EU partner resides. You may enter and exit the Schengen country via any member state though, as long as you can convince the border guards that you are heading onward to your main destination. Useful incase the host lives near the border and find cheaper tickets a neighbouring country. Exception: in rare cases a visa with Limited Territorial Validity is issued, in which case the visa is only valid in a limited number of countries. This will be clearly noted in the visa if this is the case. Most C and D visa are valid in the entire Schengen area.

---------

@Rasg. The UK and Schengen members do not operate the same. For the UK vfs is mandatory, for Schengen it's entirely optional (Though some embassies lie and try to force vfs down your throat!)

3 hours ago, Donutz said:

@Rasg. The UK and Schengen members do not operate the same. For the UK vfs is mandatory, for Schengen it's entirely optional (Though some embassies lie and try to force vfs down your throat!)

Thanks for the info.