Now, NLA panel to summon US envoy

webfact

Didn't Mr Russel was just telling the truth and called for a return to normality? Their reactions is a clear indicator that they are very well aware that the coup was unlawful and that the momentary situation in Thailand is against all democratic standards. But it is the Thai way. Never listen and threaten the ones who dare to tell the truth.

The funny thing is, they could actually have agreed with him and said ,"yes, we know its not perfect, but we are working through the issues".

But no. They throw a tizzy. Its time for a few of these children to be put in the corner to wear the dunces cap.

Honestly, the embassies should keep on at them, they obviously have them all up tight. Tease them mercilessly. How do you post "democracy for dummies" to the NLA.

Maybe the US will give them something to think about by re-calling the Charge to the State Dept for ' urgent discussions on the situation '.

Forget a reduced presence at Cobra Gold, try not appropriate to take part in the current climate.

The problem is will anything get through to the circus ?

You mean a "rook move" to just suspend Cobra Gold ?

Really ?

Have you even thought this through ?

Not suspend but dangle the hint out there, common ' diplomatic ' practice. Nations do say things they have little intention of doing but don't mind marking cards.

Anyway with so many nations supposedly involved it could still go ahead but hardly worthwhile without the US input.

I agree.

It's quite heartening to read this kind of remark. . . . . . even if we ARE somewhat hampered by this particular format.

Let's not forget China's somewhat asymmetrical response to this hint; its a "hint" that's been in play for at least a decade.

The seminal elements are already firmly in place.

Some set up a coupla decades ago and others were NAILED a few months ago.

On top of that, Thai Unis and Corps are absolutely "truffled" with diligent polite career-minded exchange students and junior intern cadre types from Yunaan who have seen army service. The only thing they have in common with their Peace Corps counterparts is an aversion to cracking fluent Thai.

3-D Chess, anyone ?

Maybe a 4th layer (time ?) laid on for the purposes of discussion.

The international game is indeed chess and the ' Diplomatic Two Step ' a very complicated dance.

All those years ago there was a song ' The Games People Play ', singer I think was a Joe South, with a wonderful couple of lines about

" people never saying what they mean, never meaning what they say. "

The arrogance is unbelievable. But that's what you get with a legislature and cabinet full of handpicked military "friends" with little to no experience in governance and diplomacy.

I know some posters have mentioned N Korea and while Thailand is a long way off, I certainly feel it is inching closer day by day.

Don't be ridiculous.

I can't help it. I was born ridiculous. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

Edited by docshock13

PepperMe, on 30 Jan 2015 - 08:02, said:

Being the leader of a country is a very very important role. There are 66 million people who rely on that person being of sound judgement and intelligence to do the job. It is not a role to be given over to negligent incompetents, and I think we would all agree that Yingluck is both.

Such as Thailand's piss poor form of democracy that allows idiots like this to be put into the top position in the first place, things need to be done to shield the nation from such absurd happenings.

Unfortunately the nation is so full of moronic individuals that the head moron would likely get voted back into power, because the Thais just don't get it. So things like impeachments are necessary to save the idiots from themselves.

But it is obvious Yingluck WAS negligent, and that negligence DID allow massive corruption to flourish, so that impeachment was 100% justified. Even if it WAS politically motivated, then that motivation is justified in itself for the above reasons.

This is maybe what the NLA should be explaining to the US rather than whinging like kids. If you think the US is wrong, then just explain it to them till they understand. Fortunately for the Yanks, their electorate is a bit better educated.... hang on..... Bush, Obama..... Maybe not.

Are you suggesting the NLA, with its unelected leader, the "d" word is banned, is any less negligent or corrupt>

• Like 1

I really hope the world laughs at these idiots.

This is the image Thailand wants in the world, they can have it. I hope the embassies keep goading them.

This is a very childish and pitiful effort to justify their undemocratic behaviour.

I thought you were 'Thai at heart'. Your comments seem to indicate otherwise. When you consider the extent to which Thaksin paid propagandists are manipulating the international media and such bodies as Amnesty International then you'd understand why the General has to protect his position. The comments made by the senior American fell out of the diplomatic norms and Thailand is quite right to respond in this way.

I think being Thai at Heart and supporting the Junta are 2 very different things. because the poster has a different opinion to you does not mean he dislikes Thai or his user name is not real. The same could be said about your comment, you don't have Thai at Heart. Different opinions and feel thankful that you are allowed an opinion as the vast majority of Thais are not. Thais are not allowed to say what they feel as they are suppressed. They don't have a voice out of fear of being rounded up. Many will say that Thais are happy and not complaining but it has become illegal to complain and they live in constant fear.

To IanF, if you think picking a fight with your major ally and intimating that you may go off with China is good for Thailand. let alone you as a foreigner, then you really need your head read. This junta isnt competent, any more than the last lot, but at least the last lot wasn't picking too many major international fights with very serious geo-political issues.

• Like 2

So, every single nation outside Thailand should stick to the Junta in Thailand and have no opinion on their own?

Summon every body you want with your Thainess and "attitude adjustment", but realize that everybody outside Thailand is NOT THAI and don't think as a Thai.

<everybody outside Thailand is NOT THAI and don't think as a Thai.>

I think everybody outside Thailand think like Thai, until they grow up....

So, every single nation outside Thailand should stick to the Junta in Thailand and have no opinion on their own?

Summon every body you want with your Thainess and "attitude adjustment", but realize that everybody outside Thailand is NOT THAI and don't think as a Thai.

What, the US junta? Yes.

I actually think the problem here is that the US chose to meet the ex PM which quite honestly was an incredibly stupid diplomatic error no matter how you look at it, they said in a statement they were not taking sides but this very meeting tells a different story.

It is well understood that the US must take a certain position when it comes to its stance on democracy but they also must recognise that Thailands solution to a growing political implosion and removal of a very obviously defunct administration has been the most peaceful and effective in recent global history, it is also worth mentioning that the current effort by all concerned seems like a genuine effort to produce a solid base for a future sustainable democracy in the not to distant future.

The recent US interference could have put the current stability at considerable risk and was therefore IMO an error, martial law is a draconian environment by any standards but perhaps a necessity in this instance while the reform process continues to conclusion without interference, it is also worth noting that certain factions were offered but refused to take part, it is easy to see the usual dogs biting at the heels with every opportunity - it is unfortunate but unavoidable that the mechanism to silence them needs to stay in place and so it should.

The PM's and NLA's reaction was not correct either, make a statement disagree and move along - done and dusted

If at the end of the process and a referendum and elections do not take place then that is a totally different ball game and the US would have every right to get involved along with other western countries - but for now they need to butt out and keep their diplomats under strict control and allow this process to run its course unabated.

it is also worth mentioning that the current effort by all concerned seems like a genuine effort to produce a solid base for a future sustainable democracy in the not to distant future.

What total rubbish. This isn't about democracy and never was. The same clowns will be standing for election if and when!

Let's not forget, that since 1932 the military has been in charge, of Thailand, longer than any political party, and so far their record is failure after failure after failure. They even changed the "constitution" to give themselves more power, when an elected government tried to remove their power, guess what ANOTHER coup. Democracy.... bullshit.

Well, Thai Politics for Thai People don't you think?

Doesn't matter about the history of Thai politics. It has nothing to do with another country. America, where coloureds only got the vote 50 years ago! You have to wonder if America was really ready for a Black President? Besides American democracy is not Democracy, it is about puppet governments favourable to America rather than Russia and China!

Colonial power by any other name, or means!

I actually think the problem here is that the US chose to meet the ex PM which quite honestly was an incredibly stupid diplomatic error no matter how you look at it, they said in a statement they were not taking sides but this very meeting tells a different story.

It is well understood that the US must take a certain position when it comes to its stance on democracy but they also must recognise that Thailands solution to a growing political implosion and removal of a very obviously defunct administration has been the most peaceful and effective in recent global history, it is also worth mentioning that the current effort by all concerned seems like a genuine effort to produce a solid base for a future sustainable democracy in the not to distant future.

The recent US interference could have put the current stability at considerable risk and was therefore IMO an error, martial law is a draconian environment by any standards but perhaps a necessity in this instance while the reform process continues to conclusion without interference, it is also worth noting that certain factions were offered but refused to take part, it is easy to see the usual dogs biting at the heels with every opportunity - it is unfortunate but unavoidable that the mechanism to silence them needs to stay in place and so it should.

The PM's and NLA's reaction was not correct either, make a statement disagree and move along - done and dusted

If at the end of the process and a referendum and elections do not take place then that is a totally different ball game and the US would have every right to get involved along with other western countries - but for now they need to butt out and keep their diplomats under strict control and allow this process to run its course unabated.

it is also worth mentioning that the current effort by all concerned seems like a genuine effort to produce a solid base for a future sustainable democracy in the not to distant future.

What total rubbish. This isn't about democracy and never was. The same clowns will be standing for election if and when!

Let's not forget, that since 1932 the military has been in charge, of Thailand, longer than any political party, and so far their record is failure after failure after failure. They even changed the "constitution" to give themselves more power, when an elected government tried to remove their power, guess what ANOTHER coup. Democracy.... bullshit.

Well, Thai Politics for Thai People don't you think?

Doesn't matter about the history of Thai politics. It has nothing to do with another country. America, where coloureds only got the vote 50 years ago! You have to wonder if America was really ready for a Black President? Besides American democracy is not Democracy, it is about puppet governments favourable to America rather than Russia and China!

Colonial power by any other name, or means!

I'm confused. I cant see the link between the coloureds of the U.S getting voting rights and the U.S Envoy being summoned before the Thai military. Has the Thai Junta taken offence to African Americans getting the vote?

Quote : <they said in a statement they were not taking sides but this very meeting tells a different story.>

Why this meeting tells you a different story.

He met with both involved parties, as he met with Mark also, so i see not taking sides so fare.

That they don't choose the side of a Junta is an obvious choice .

Quote : <it is easy to see the usual dogs biting at the heels with every opportunity>

Yes I see you also as that usual dog biting at the heels with every opportunity........

• Like 1

As an American, I find the subject of America's wrong doing completely boring, because I know it. I read the American press every day, and all it is is arguing, about politics, about war, about race, everything on overload all at once. So when people divert from the subject of Thailand to America being hypocritical in some way, it's like talking about how the sky is blue.

What I worry about over this, is how it will effect Americans visiting Thailand in the near future. It's not unthinkable that it would, as visa relationships between countries are often treated in a tit-for-tat way. Right after the coup, Russians were totally villified first; almost all the articles suggested Russians were the big problem of Thailand. THEN...a few months later (when Russia did 'something' behind the scenes), suddenly they announced that Russians could have unlimited in/outs, no problem. That's an example of how visa policies are effected by things we have no knowledge of.

SO, how does this non-event of theater effect Americans getting the needed visa now? It might.

Edited by John1thru10

Being the leader of a country is a very very important role. There are 66 million people who rely on that person being of sound judgement and intelligence to do the job. It is not a role to be given over to negligent incompetents, and I think we would all agree that Yingluck is both.

Such as Thailand's piss poor form of democracy that allows idiots like this to be put into the top position in the first place, things need to be done to shield the nation from such absurd happenings.

Unfortunately the nation is so full of moronic individuals that the head moron would likely get voted back into power, because the Thais just don't get it. So things like impeachments are necessary to save the idiots from themselves.

But it is obvious Yingluck WAS negligent, and that negligence DID allow massive corruption to flourish, so that impeachment was 100% justified. Even if it WAS politically motivated, then that motivation is justified in itself for the above reasons.

This is maybe what the NLA should be explaining to the US rather than whinging like kids. If you think the US is wrong, then just explain it to them till they understand. Fortunately for the Yanks, their electorate is a bit better educated.... hang on..... Bush, Obama..... Maybe not.

Russell's actual words were quite balanced, using "impression" and "could possibly be" rather than more assertive comments. Almost like he was trying to show how things might well appear without giving any offense. Obviously didn't know the Thai loathing for any type of criticism.

His comments should have given a lead in for a good explanation on exactly why YL was deemed negligent - failure to attend meetings, answer questions, act on warnings, whilst giving repeated assurances of having no problems, which she still does. Allowing control of a government she supposed to lead to be taken over by her non elected criminal brother was a tad negligent at least.

However, there are none so deaf as those who don't want to listen. The US are well aware of the real underlying reasons behind all of this and why Thaksin was trying to hold on to power at all costs. He's their 'boy" and the fact his family screw the nation is a mere irrelevance. The fact he and his family appear to be involved in some very unsavory acts to further their cause is also irrelevant. He's their "boy' and will deliver what they want. That's why he can get a visa when he's a convicted criminal on the run with many outstanding charges too.

By constantly backing Thaksin, a convicted fraudster and probably guilty of far more, America is driving the current Thai government more towards the open arms of China. Nothing to do with democracy or freedom - as proven in Ukraine where a democratically elected President was removed with full American support, and not through and election. Why did the US remain silent about the murders and assaults on anti Thaksin protesters?

Welcome to the wonderful double world of Obama foreign policy.

interestingly, I agree with a fair amount of your post.

The lead in for Russel was actually very delicate and (IMO) well stated... The topic was broached, finally, only at the end of his speech.

Now more broadly, beyond the students and beyond YSEALI, I know that this is a thoughtful group and you follow the news and you're interested in bilateral relations. So while I've spoken at some length about what defines our partnership, both historically and prospectively, I also need to say something about the political developments here in Thailand and the impact that has on U.S.-Thai relations over the course of the past year.

The fact is, and it's unfortunate, but our relationship with Thailand has been challenged by the military coup that removed a democratically-elected government eight months ago. This morning, I had a chance to sit down and hold discussions with first, former Prime Minister Yingluck, then former Prime Minister Abhisit, and then with the interim Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Tanasak.

And in each case, I've discussed the current political situation in Thailand with each of them. And all sides have spoken about the importance of reconciliation and their commitment to work to achieve Thailand's democratic future.

Now I understand this is an extremely sensitive issue, and I bring it up with all humility and great respect for the Kingdom of Thailand and for the Thai people.

I would bring up your point that somehow Thaksin is "our boy". Do you really believe that (1) the US somehow provides him aid or support or (2) that Thaksin needs US aid or support? I don't see either scenario as realistic, so I would not call Thaksin the "US's boy".

Additionally, while Thaksin might have screwed the country, I would point out that he is not the first, has not been the last, and that the most successful of those "screwing" the country have been at it for decades and decades - long before Thaksin appeared on the scene.

Finally, Thaksin gets to travel freely outside of Thailand precisely because of the manner that he was removed from power and the ensuing conviction. You would have countries deny him visas based on that. That sounds like the unrealistic line of the Generals.

• Like 2

Russell's actual words were quite balanced, using "impression" and "could possibly be" rather than more assertive comments. Almost like he was trying to show how things might well appear without giving any offense. Obviously didn't know the Thai loathing for any type of criticism.

His comments should have given a lead in for a good explanation on exactly why YL was deemed negligent - failure to attend meetings, answer questions, act on warnings, whilst giving repeated assurances of having no problems, which she still does. Allowing control of a government she supposed to lead to be taken over by her non elected criminal brother was a tad negligent at least.

However, there are none so deaf as those who don't want to listen. The US are well aware of the real underlying reasons behind all of this and why Thaksin was trying to hold on to power at all costs. He's their 'boy" and the fact his family screw the nation is a mere irrelevance. The fact he and his family appear to be involved in some very unsavory acts to further their cause is also irrelevant. He's their "boy' and will deliver what they want. That's why he can get a visa when he's a convicted criminal on the run with many outstanding charges too.

By constantly backing Thaksin, a convicted fraudster and probably guilty of far more, America is driving the current Thai government more towards the open arms of China. Nothing to do with democracy or freedom - as proven in Ukraine where a democratically elected President was removed with full American support, and not through and election. Why did the US remain silent about the murders and assaults on anti Thaksin protesters?

Welcome to the wonderful double world of Obama foreign policy.

interestingly, I agree with a fair amount of your post.

The lead in for Russel was actually very delicate and (IMO) well stated... The topic was broached, finally, only at the end of his speech.

Now more broadly, beyond the students and beyond YSEALI, I know that this is a thoughtful group and you follow the news and you're interested in bilateral relations. So while I've spoken at some length about what defines our partnership, both historically and prospectively, I also need to say something about the political developments here in Thailand and the impact that has on U.S.-Thai relations over the course of the past year.

The fact is, and it's unfortunate, but our relationship with Thailand has been challenged by the military coup that removed a democratically-elected government eight months ago. This morning, I had a chance to sit down and hold discussions with first, former Prime Minister Yingluck, then former Prime Minister Abhisit, and then with the interim Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Tanasak.

And in each case, I've discussed the current political situation in Thailand with each of them. And all sides have spoken about the importance of reconciliation and their commitment to work to achieve Thailand's democratic future.

Now I understand this is an extremely sensitive issue, and I bring it up with all humility and great respect for the Kingdom of Thailand and for the Thai people.

I would bring up your point that somehow Thaksin is "our boy". Do you really believe that (1) the US somehow provides him aid or support or (2) that Thaksin needs US aid or support? I don't see either scenario as realistic, so I would not call Thaksin the "US's boy".

Additionally, while Thaksin might have screwed the country, I would point out that he is not the first, has not been the last, and that the most successful of those "screwing" the country have been at it for decades and decades - long before Thaksin appeared on the scene.

Finally, Thaksin gets to travel freely outside of Thailand precisely because of the manner that he was removed from power and the ensuing conviction. You would have countries deny him visas based on that. That sounds like the unrealistic line of the Generals.

I imagine the interim govt has expected former leaders to be treated as if international fugitives by Thailand's allies, and in this case the US diplomat didn't observe this by mentioning that he sat down to talk with former PM's. That's all he had to say to inspire all this anger.

Edited by John1thru10

Thailand, Thailand, you're not as big as China. You can't do things like have a pop at America. Do yourself a favour and just keep quite when the Americans say stuff like this.
Thailand, you need America. If you pull away from America, you will only have China. Having two big nations competing against each other to put you in their 'sphere of influence' is a good thing. Having China as the ONLY big nation to try and take over your country is probably not a good thing.

Meanwhile, security expert Panitan Wattanayagorn said yesterday that it was possible that some former Thai politicians were working with certain American interest groups, resulting in the latest US move against Thailand.

hahahahaahah what are these people taking. Also why are they using the phrase ''Thai Government''. The word is Thai JUNTA.

Now that we're carnival, I believe that Thailand takes disguised democracy since Prayuth gave him to play democrat, a person who has spent the time screaming ar, right, left with trumpet and stars hanging shoulders, little democratic I think it is. I'll post the example of Chavez, Fidel, Obiang ... Thais have to choose their representatives to keep smiling.

That chairperson looks like a caricature of an insane clown

If you look closely you will see that it is actually the fat bald guy from Thai daytime comedy shows, the one that is usually in drag. And this actually explains quite a lot about where the government is getting it's ideas.

• Like 1

So OK point taken however ''she has gone'' so what is stopping an election? Oh hang on a min, the work has not yet been finished and the Thai constitution has not yet been amended sufficiently to never allow anyone but a military appointed civilian government to take control. Are the people really going to come away from this and be able to choose the next government? Na didnt think so.

I was thinking, the mod on the other thread was right. We DO need Thai visa to be here next week, and all the weeks to follow.

We should ALL really tone it down, and be a bit more subtle about expressing our opinions at this time. This is more serious than other events like this earlier in the decade. I'm gonna be a lot more subtle after today, and - thinking about it and worried - we should all tone it down. I apologize for the moments I haven't, and I'll knock it off myself.

We get it enough now to hold on, right?

That chairperson looks like a caricature of an insane clown

If you look closely you will see that it is actually the fat bald guy from Thai daytime comedy shows, the one that is usually in drag. And this actually explains quite a lot about where the government is getting it's ideas.

Fantastic, best quote today!

• Like 1