Officials hope to begin Pattaya Beach refill, drainage pipe upgrade in March

Rimmer

Officials hope to begin Pattaya Beach refill, drainage pipe upgrade in March

PATTAYA:--Local officials hope to begin work on simultaneously refilling Pattaya Beach with sand and laying new beachfront drainage pipes in March.

Top city officials, representatives from Marine Construction Joint Venture Co., and engineers met with business owners and boat operators Jan. 21 to lay out the details on the nine-month, 622-million-baht construction project.

Budgets for both the 430 million baht sand-refill project and the 192.8 million baht drainage pipes have yet to be approved. But officials are hopeful that everything will fall into place so work can begin at the start of March.

Plans to rebuild Pattaya Beach began in 2011 when researchers from Chulalongkorn University warned that the beach would disappear within five years if nothing was done to counter erosion.

Work will begin at the Walking Street end of Pattaya Beach, incrementally building up the shoreline in 300-meter blocks divided with silt curtains to prevent spillover that would affect the beach and boat operators. The new beach, when completed, will be 35 meters wide and 2.8 meters deep.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/officials-hope-to-begin-pattaya-beach-refill-drainage-pipe-upgrade-in-march-44591#sthash.paNK5KND.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-01-30 footer_n.gif

Someone has done some real thinking here.

First they announce the new "tunnel" and then they announce the new beach refill project.

Unfortunately if there is a hic-cup with the funding of either project or if one gets out of sync with the other there will be all sorts of problems either filling the beach or getting rid of the "spoil" from the tunnelling.

They could use the new(ish) beach front development area as a temporary storage place for the tunnelling spoil till the beach is ready to be widened I suppose. At least the it will stop the board-walk from being washed away.

30+ years and I cannot recall a day when beach road didn't have workmen on it.

Will they ever be able to call it finished.

Same with every highway in California.

Californian highways are how long? Pattaya beach road is 2km inner city. Not the same not even close.

• Like 2

What a shower of clueless morons! They spent months causing chaos all along Beach road removing part of the sidewalk to make another traffic lane. In doing this they built new drains to run along the new curb side ... I guess combining the two projects only cross their minds long enough to realise they could make more backhands from contractors, if they made the projects separate. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Again!!! More back handers being given and if past results are anything to go by, it will have to be redone in a couple of years. Jomtien second Rd is a classic example. Driving along you take your life in your hands and get your car suspension removed!

• Like 1

California is not in Thailand and has no bearing on this issue. Keeping focused is an option.
  • Like 2

And London's M25 Motorway giggle.gif

Those making cynical remarks should look closer to home before being critical of Thai workers.

Those making cynical remarks should look closer to home before being critical of Thai workers.

Nobody was being critical of Thai workers. I was referring that beach road in the eyes of the Pattaya City administration always seems in need of some work. Why they cannot plan ahead and get all the projects done at one time beats me. For the last 30+ years of my knowledge tourists have NEVER seen a completed beach road and tourists are always having to walk around workers, trip over incomplete work, etc.

And when it comes to looking closer to home, I am, in Pattaya, at home having spent more than half my life here. Is that close enough for you.

And comparing 2km of inner city road, sidewalk, beach to Californian highways or British motorways is like comparing apples with eggs except that sometimes the speed of traffic may be similar.

"Plans to rebuild Pattaya Beach began in 2011 when researchers from Chulalongkorn University warned that the beach would disappear within five years if nothing was done to counter erosion."

So they waited for 4.5 years to hopefully start?

Edited by konying

Why? Because thai workers are super efficient and skilled or super good at their job and quality ?