Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Photographs at Maya

wjmark

Is this irony?

My friend picked me up at the bus station after my night-bus from Bkk. And before going to his home, we went directly to Maya where he was setting up a photographic exhibition with other local camera buffs (go see it, btw. It's pretty great!).

I've been away from CM for 2 years, and the very first place I ended up was on the third floor of what had been the bane of my existence. For years I endured Maya's construction less than 40 meters from my 14th floor balcony. Work times varying from 18/7 to 24/7, it drove me a little crazy.

So there I was - first place in CM - the belly of the beast. And I must say... it's a pretty nice in there.

And for sure a great photo exhibit!

post-55564-0-61723900-1422605086_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yes, the photo exhibit is very nice. I was there Wednesday afternoon and it's good to see the foot traffic picking up in the Maya. It's not the the empty ghost town like it was when it first opened. The facilities at the cinema are excellent and slowly they're getting more dining options. The produce at Rim Ping is now consistently looking good -- I think their business traffic and product turnover is increasing. I'm finding myself at that mall more and more.

One big advantage of the long light at that intersection is that it's easy to get across on foot thru all the stopped cars and there's plenty of time to talk to a stopped song thaew driver to see if he's headed your way. Gotta be the pits for drivers, though.

Why's that? It's a very nicely designed building - possibly the best of the malls I think. Admittedly, it's short on useful retailers but I think it will find its way quicker and more successfully than Promenada as it discovers what will attract the the local foot traffic. I'm one of the organisers of the photo exhibition mentioned above and it's certainly a pleasant place to spend some time in. I also just discovered a very good Iranian (/Indian) restaurant on the 4th floor just above our show. Their buffet is a pleasant and delicious change from anything else I've come across in CM.

The CMPG show is really very good - do check it out!

Yesterday evening was a very enjoyable charity event on the rooftop -- organized by Citylife magazine to benefit the Northern School for the Blind. They showed silent movies with a very good classical piano player accompanying. Well, it was more elaborate than that, but that's the short summary. Quite a few people came and had a very good time.

As Maya has more events like that, more people will come and it will become a community gathering place. The management deserves kudos for encouraging local artists -- first with the photo exhibit and then with the silent movie night.

Incidentally, it was my first time on "Nimman Hill" as they call the rooftop. It is lovely and very well designed for concerts and other performance events.

I agree. MAYA has come to grow on me. I didn't like it at first (and I got TERRIBLE food poisoning in the basement food court), but it has evolved into a nice gathering spot for art-minded people. The cinemas are great and as said above, the rooftop bars are really nice for a drink or two... The Iraqi restaurant is really nice, a good change from the ordinary, and the food is delicious. I do hope they make it though as it has been not busy each time I've been there.